• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Surprise Earthquakes rattle Colorado and Washington DC

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I live in Yorktown, VA which is south eastern and we felt it pretty good but it didn't do any damage... was a surreal experience... never been in one before. Hope everyone is ok! My brothers live in Colorado and they are fine as well.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2024
    Damn, I'm glad I didn't get caught up in this.

There were news reports about people tweeting about the earthquake seconds after it hit. Then the people outside a 100km radius were alerted about it before the earthquake hit them, thus possibly saving a few valuables. We are just tapping into twitter's potential.

I think the worst we had was a 4.0 earthquake here in Oklahoma. I can't empathize.

Years
    I live in Virginia Beach, VA an I felt my entire house lightly shaking. Pretty weird since it's the East Coast and there is no fault line nearby.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    It would've certainly been devastating if you were driving or something... I can't imagine how unlucky those people would've been...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Now somehow, people living hundreds of miles farther away from the DC earthquake than we do felt it, but we didn't... go figure that one out.

I wouldn't have even known it happened if not for it being front page news on the Yahoo home page :P

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    When I felt it yesterday, it was perhaps the most exciting ten seconds of my life.

Years
    Evidently it was felt around here in Ohio in some parts. I personally had no idea until I saw the news.

But two quakes in this close proximity unnerves me a bit. Remember, the other major fault lines in our hemisphere have all blown in the past few years, except the one located in California.

Years
    It was not in DC. It was in Virginia, almost 100 miles from DC. Get it right, Netto. >:|

I do apologize, I made the thread during the middle of a Sex-Ed presentation during the UCLA orientation based on Twitter feeds. See the 1 sentence OP and utter lack of pictures and a BBC article? Usually I fill my Opening post with those.

Still I poked fun over this on FB so yeah, sorry. xD

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    I live in Virginia Beach, VA an I felt my entire house lightly shaking. Pretty weird since it's the East Coast and there is no fault line nearby.

Actually, there is something called the Central VA Seismic Zone, that's pretty well documented by the USGS. It's basically an ancient fault system left over from the geological creation of the East Coast.

It's not near as active as California, or even the New Madrid Seismic Zone, but it does jolt every once in a while.

Years
    I was out of country when this happened and only heard that there had been a quake in the US. I was afraid it was the Big One expected in California.

As someone from earthquake country I gotta say I was surprised to hear how far this one was felt. From what I read it's to do with the kind of land and rock that part of the country is made of which spreads the effect rather than absorbing it.

Just glad there wasn't too much damage. Y'all out there probably don't make your buildings with very high earthquake safety standards.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    As someone from earthquake country I gotta say I was surprised to hear how far this one was felt. From what I read it's to do with the kind of land and rock that part of the country is made of which spreads the effect rather than absorbing it.

Just glad there wasn't too much damage. Y'all out there probably don't make your buildings with very high earthquake safety standards.

Another thing is that because of the many fault lines and broken up pieces of crust on the West Coast, one piece may rattle, but the others don't. On the East Coast, things aren't as broken up so the whole thing rings like a bell.

That's what I've been hearing, anyway.

As far as damage, some of the spires on the National Cathedral got broken off and there's a crack near the top of the Washington Monument. And that's the damage we've been hearing about. I'm sure there's more that haven't been mentioned.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017

this is the funniest thing I have ever seen

Back