• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey relating cards

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    HI, we're a small group based off in Minnesota and we plan to make a certain product. We are wonding how many cards you own, this includes cards other than pokemon, and we are also wondering how much time you spend organizing and sorting those cards.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    What we're planing to do is make a automatic trading card sorter for a senior engineering class. But first we need replies to have to prove that there is a problem here we can solve. So any feed back is helpful to our project.

So one question is how much would you be willing to pay for a unit like this that is easy to operate (single touch of a button), wont damage the cards in any way and can sort the cards in different colors or letters/numbers all in a small unit that is easy to store.

Years
  • I wouldn't pay any money at the moment. I have little money to spare. I do know of a few collectors this would be very useful to, but to not damage a card would be highly difficult to achieve. The edges of the cards are very susceptible to damage.

Years
  • I have a few hundred Pokemon cards and thousands of Yu-Gi-Oh ones. I wouldn't pay for any device to sort my cards out though to be honest. I only take a small percentage of YGO cards with me in trade binders to tournaments and the rest just sit in tins which I occasionally scavenge through for useful commons. I wouldn't use the device very often at all that's the issue.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    I wouldn't pay any money at the moment. I have little money to spare. I do know of a few collectors this would be very useful to, but to not damage a card would be highly difficult to achieve. The edges of the cards are very susceptible to damage.

Would you at all pay for something in the future? around $20-$60? And would you even say no if it saved you countless hours?
    And of course protecting the cards is important but it's not as difficult as one would think but yes we are key on protecting.

I have a few hundred Pokemon cards and thousands of Yu-Gi-Oh ones. I wouldn't pay for any device to sort my cards out though to be honest. I only take a small percentage of YGO cards with me in trade binders to tournaments and the rest just sit in tins which I occasionally scavenge through for useful commons. I wouldn't use the device very often at all that's the issue.

Say at one point you needed/wanted to sort those cards, would you pay $20-$70 for a device that will sort them by name, type or by stat that wouldn't damage the card and save you hours of sorting them yourself?

Last edited:
    Years
  • One issue I thought of with this is that this would make it easy to steal my entire collection, if it were an easy to store device. I'd rather have a device that only did the sorting, and the storing would be done by me, since sorting is the real tedious portion for me and storing is much, much easier. If it had highly flexible options for sorting, it would be a near-definite buy for me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    One issue I thought of with this is that this would make it easy to steal my entire collection, if it were an easy to store device. I'd rather have a device that only did the sorting, and the storing would be done by me, since sorting is the real tedious portion for me and storing is much, much easier. If it had highly flexible options for sorting, it would be a near-definite buy for me.

Our design as of now is a vertical cylindrical tower where you feed cards in from the top face down. A sensor would read a portion on the card based on the setting you wanted. Right now we plan on the possiblity of sorting by color, number, and letters. Once it reads the card it will rotate around the base till it faces the right pile and it will then ejected the card out and from there you take the organized pile and do what you want.

LAF

:D
    Years
  • I have 1500 to 2000 cards, and no I would not use it. I'm far to fussy about condition, and as donavann said, it's incredibly difficult to not damage the corners.

I probably wouldn't use it anyway, because my cards go |pack -> tin| based on set, or |pack -> sleeve/toploader -> binder|

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    It's actually not that difficult to keep a device from damaging them. For example we have a Uno attack machine, which spits out cards. It does this by rubber rollers spining and shooting them out. The deck for the machine has been used for a couple of years now and their is barely any damage to the cards. They get damaged more from human use from play. The card only contacts the machine once so it actually isnt too difficult to protect the cards from bends and folds

Years
  • You know, it might not be such a bad idea actually on second thought. 20-70 US dollars is quite a broad price range but I could see myself potentially buying such a product. I have my own means to store my cards (binders, tins etc) so just the sorting mechanism is all I would really require.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    Question for everyone, what would you rather see the most out of a unit?
    Sort by color, by letters, or by numbers?
    We will be working on one of these first.
    Also battery powered or outlet plug in?
    Anything will be helpful :)

Years
  • I guess by color, but that is the easiest sorting method for me. If it were possible, I would like to be able to sort by sets or rarity, but the former would probably require updating the software or firmware for every set, and holofoil rares would be difficult to sort from other holofoil cards.

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years
  • I'd prefer by rarity & color (Like Grass Rares in the front then the uncommons & commons then to the Fire types) but if you can't do that then i'd go by color. I'd also say battery powered just incase there are no outlets & I am trading cards. If you do make such a device than I would probably buy it & customize it.

Years
  • Colour for sure. Sort out my YGO into Monsters, Spells and Traps. Plug into the mains is probably best. I mean it's not going to be used very often so it's no big deal to temporarily plug it into the mains.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    I guess by color, but that is the easiest sorting method for me. If it were possible, I would like to be able to sort by sets or rarity, but the former would probably require updating the software or firmware for every set, and holofoil rares would be difficult to sort from other holofoil cards.

It's something we'll keep it in mind but you're right with updates. But what we could do is have it where the user will record the symbol with the camera in the unit and then it will registor as a symbol then.
    That's still down the road aways but we're thinking about it

Thanks for the input! Any questions or additions are welcomed :)
    Keep it coming, it's very helpful because you're the ones helping to design this product.

Last edited:
    Back