• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SV characters you think could possibly be transgender or non-binary?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • Yep, what the title says! Which characters do you think could possibly be genderfluid, or trans, or non-binary or whatnot?

I have seen Iono be mentioned as a possibility… but I'm slightly unsure about that. Although I have read up some pointers on how that's the case but for some reason I still have a hard time seeing it.

So my personal suggestion would be Mela. I genuinely thought that design looked transgender when I first saw it, then thought no for a while… but now I think yes. They… just don't look that female to me at all. And that's why I decided that they would indeed be non-binary in my comic!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Mela always looked 100% female to me. In my opinion, a lot of the characters in this game look non-binary, which includes certain trainer classes such as female Hikers, Guitarists, and so on. Other more prominent characters include Grusha, Rika, Ortega, and even the player character in some ways, especially with the uniforms. It seems as though Pokémon Scarlet and Violet is attempting to do away with gender differences in certain ways, which I am not a big fan of, to be honest. Yet, I don't view any of these characters as "officially" non-binary or LGBT in any way because it hasn't been stated or confirmed, but I believe that this is what they're attempting to imply. I even recall reading an article about the colors, scarlet and violet, being a reference to bisexuality.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I agree with you on Mela, but for an entirely different reason. She reminds me a lot of Blaze from the Jem and the Holograms IDW comics, who herself is a trans girl. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if whoever designed Mela just came out and confirmed outright that they based her on Blaze.

I'd have to think a bit about the rest of the characters, but she's the only one I'm 100% sure is trans or non-binary.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    As much as I'd like there to be more LGBTQ representation in the world, I really doubt that any characters in S/V are in fact LGBTQ. While you can see some minute progress in the world relatively recently, we still live in a horrifically homophobic/transphobic world, it's still a stretch to see any character outside of the few most obvious ones as LGBTQ.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I'd like to consider that Rika could possibly be nonbinary because she has a fairly gender-neutral design, but I feel like that's just enforcing the stereotype that nonbinary people have to be androgynous. It seems cool in theory, but I highly doubt that will ever be canon. (I don't know many other characters so there's not much else I can say)

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • I'd like to consider that Rika could possibly be nonbinary because she has a fairly gender-neutral design, but I feel like that's just enforcing the stereotype that nonbinary people have to be androgynous. It seems cool in theory, but I highly doubt that will ever be canon. (I don't know many other characters so there's not much else I can say)

Your logic is valid but I believe when we meet her, she introduced with the line "this young lady is Rika" or something along those lines.

A butch Lesbian perhaps but not non-binary.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't much like the idea of assuming that someone (even fictionally) is transgender just based on their appearance. Same for nonbinary. Myself, I'm an enby and use they/them, but irl everyone assumes me to be a certain gender and uses traditional pronouns for me because I don't look androgynous, so I suppose it's a bit personal too.

I rather love the fact that we get introduced to a "young lady" who knows she looks good but who isn't sterotypically femme at all and a male gym leader who is söft and has long hair and cute eyes etc. Gender non-conformity is certainly showing in these gen 9 games and I think that is to be celebrated. If it is, it will matter less who "looks transgender" and not, because you can be a woman or a man or whichever gender you identify with without feeling like you don't look the part.

embrace chaos <3

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • Your logic is valid but I believe when we meet her, she introduced with the line "this young lady is Rika" or something along those lines.

A butch Lesbian perhaps but not non-binary.

Update: I agree with Doctor, I am not comfortable forming assumptions based on appearance, possibly because I have always looked at least 4 years younger than I am but I just defeated Rika in the E4 and seeing her build up close I believe it's possible that she is trans.

Last edited:
    Back