• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Switches Gettin' Stitches: A Problem With Switches

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2014
    Okay, so in this situation, I actually know what I'm doing. In this situation, I have just created a really disturbing but funny little "cutscene," in which the protagonist has to endure hearing quite an "unsavory tale" (probably the tale where the forum user Takyon kept posting silly questions like this that unintentionally annoyed the mods). So, after hearing the tale, I wanted to set a control switch to go to the next page of events, where the protagonist will hear something else from the person. Seems like a simple task, eh?

View attachment 69747
    View attachment 69748

Oddly enough, the event simply goes to the beginning of the first event page. Troubling as this may be, I'm wondering if this is just a mistake on my part or an actual bug. If there is a mistake somewhere in there, I would be mighty thankful to hear of a proper procedure to tackle this problem. If it's a bug, then I would like to claim full naming rights on the bug: We'll call it the TakyonSwitchBug9000. (Just kidding about that last sentence!)

Thanks for taking the time to read/ acknowledge this and/ or address my problem!

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    You transfer the player during... Does the speech continue? What's event 16? My guess is that... Usually when I use teleports during a speech, I'd set a switch that will call an event on the next map to start running, with the autorun process.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2014
    Event number 16 is the dude regaling the story. After everything on page 1, the story does NOT continue.

I managed to fix the problem, but I had to use the script "pbSetSelfSwitch2(20,16,"A",true)," which annoyed me because I couldn't just use a normal "Control Self Switch: A = ON" instead.

Now. I'm wondering just HOW this actually happened to where I couldn't use the "Control Self Switch: A = ON" option...

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It will have set the Self Switch A of event 16 on the new map (which is now the current map because of the map transfer), rather than that of the original event on the original map which you wanted. That's how it works - it uses the current map's ID as part of changing a Self Switch.

It's a bad idea to transfer the player to a different map and then carry on using the same event to do other things, as you can see.

Back