• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Sword and Shield Graphics / Art Style

Years
  • How do you feel about the graphics shown in the trailer for Sword & Shield?

Throwing some behind a spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I personally love the graphics, and to me it feels like they took one of the best parts of LGPE and made it better.

What do y'all think?

Years
  • It's pretty good graphics! I like the art direction in that each area looks vast with a lot of far off background elements.

Years
  • It surely is better than LGPE graphics. It feels like it's a clearer, more polished and updated version of SuMo. The water, lighting and details are on spot and I can't wait to see more. The only problem I have is with Pokémon - they look weird in comparison to the environment. But since this isn't the final version of the game, I'm pretty sure GF will work on that.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    It's beautiful. It holds a similar feel and look to the previous two gen's, but just more up-scaled and better defined. Definitely can't wait to roam this world!

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    It looks beauitful ; u; I never got to play LGPE so I don't really have anything to compare though.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • I love them and I find it weird that the people who said they want a BotW Pokemon game are mad even though the aesthetic looks very BotW

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    From what I've seen it looks gorgeous. Especially that screenshot of the bench and house by the lake wow

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    It looks amazing! They weren't just playin' with that saturation tool when making Sword/Shield lol.

Years
  • I'm just so excited to play a main Pokemon game at a high resolution on a TV like that's going to be a religious experience. Game looks unreal.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    It looks phenomenal; I just hope the controls live up to it.

I'm very glad that Game Freak is showing that they're capable of making a great-looking 3D game though. It's clear now (at least IMO) that the 3DS was likely too limited for the kind of stuff they were trying to do.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    It looks so smooth and clean and just gorgeous and it was honestly the first comment i made when I saw the video. I 100% am looking forward to play this and experiencing it with my own eyes!

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    They really outdid themselves with this one. The graphics are absolutely breathtaking. This is the first time I've been this excited about a game since 4th gen.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I love them and I find it weird that the people who said they want a BotW Pokemon game are mad even though the aesthetic looks very BotW

Well, first of all, I don't think when people refer to wanting Pokemon to be like BoTW they are necessarily referring to the graphics. From my gathering (and my own opinions) people wanting Pokemon to be like BoTW comes down to one or two of these: 1. Wanting something new and revolutionary to the Pokemon series, like BoTW was to Zelda and/or 2. Wanting the games to be open-world.

And in terms of graphics, I still don't think that Sword/Shield match up to Breath of the Wild. It's more than just the raw graphics, it is the designing. Even though Sword/Shield are obviously even more 3D in design than Sun/Moon (which were a major step up from X/Y which were still 2.5D), it's still baby steps and I can't help but feel like Sword/Shield still have a stiffness to them that holds them back.

Just look at Hateno Village from Breath of the Wild.
    kKHFLpc.jpg

It's just so much more dynamic than anything we see in SS. The lake screenshot that everyone is lauding as showcasing how beautiful that SS is, actually points this out very clearly. There is still so much "square" design there if you look closely. In addition, the pond, while no longer square, still seems to have some stiffness to it, it doesn't blend seamlessly with the rest of the environment. The background trees and overall background are practically cardboard cutouts and it shows very clearly.

I'm not meaning to tear these games apart, but it's just a fact that they aren't Breath of the Wild in any sense of anything anyone has been requesting.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • The graphics look like the best we have ever had! The character designs look way better too. The graphics were the first thing I noticed in the reveal trailer. The game looks really good and I hope it looks even better on release day!

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    The game looks very nice. I honestly prefer the cartoony style as found in the anime so I'm not complaining one bit!

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • Well, the Switch is certainly capable of handling more as BotW and Odyssey both look a lot better than this while having a similar style; imho this is especially notable in the backgrounds, those snowy rocks in the background of the first picture and the hills in the background of the second and the lake one are clearly less polished. The hills especially not only are of a much lower quality, but also copy-pasted. Games like BotW and even (though here I'm partially going OT due to the different art style) the original version of Skyrim, not even the Switch port which is already better-looking, which is an 8-year-old game, are better graphics-wise imho.

Anyway, I usually don't care a lot about the finest details of graphics, so overall I still like it and it's the best Pokémon has ever looked, I just think there was the potential for more, especially as that's already GF's second Switch game. At least they can still get better in later Switch games, just like BW was a large step ahead from HGSS, which were already much better than DP.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I love the graphics as is, but they did they in game footage was not final, so that could mean the graphics will get even better.

Back