• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Sword or Shield?

Are you #TeamSword or #TeamShield?

• Sword!

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Shield!

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I can't decide!

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I'm going to wait for the 3rd installment!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    Why not both. :D
    My husband and I always get opposite versions. Hahahaha.

Years
    I have to get Switch first. But if I had it I would wait for more information about the games - legendaries, exclusives, gimmicks like 12 hour shift in SuMo...

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    Version exclusives typically influence decision but if my Zelda influence has any factor on this... probably going Hylian Shield.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I want to get both, but I might possibly lean more into Sword, because I like blue colors, and the logo has a pretty sharp and cool imagery in it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I heard the names an was leaning towards Shield but that was before I saw the logos and I usually go for the blue version...
    So, undecided.

Years
    waiting for version differences and mascot legendaries before I really commit to one over the other. to be honest though, this is the first Pokemon game where I'm not really immediately sold on one version like I was with SM/USUM.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    This is a really unorthodox naming convention so I don't know what to expect yet - I know we already strayed away from the colours with the last generation, but it's still taking some time to get used to and all. Leaning towards Sword as well just because swords are cool, but who knows, they might surprise us with the Legendaries and version differences.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    My version choice is always based on the Box Legend and version exclusives, so until we know them, I can't decide 100%. But if I had to choose one now, it would probably be Sword, as I love swords.

Years
    My twin brother and I always get opposite versions, and he already proclaimed Sword, so I'm sticking with Shield. I'm super interested to see what the relevance of sword and shield is in the games.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    Off name alone, I would probably go with sword. I also tend to gravitate towards the blue colored box art lol (though I did buy Sun over Moon). But the version exclusives and legendaries are more important to me.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Probably going to get them both and base on which one I play first depending on exclusives (and whether or not I'll be putting any of them on my team) like I normally do. I love both symbols so I have no preference based on that alone.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    It's way too early to tell, we don't even know the box legends yet.

I have a pattern (not really intentional) where I've alternated between the primary and secondary version for the first pair of games in each generation, and that pattern would dictate me picking Sword this time around but we'll see.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    It's way too early to tell, we don't even know the box legends yet.

I have a pattern (not really intentional) where I've alternated between the primary and secondary version for the first pair of games in each generation, and that pattern would dictate me picking Sword this time around but we'll see.

I just realized that I've done the same thing (barring Red for gen 1, so I went primary for the first and second gens). From 2-7, I've done Gold, Sapphire, Diamond, White, X, and Moon. And I'm leaning towards Sword this time as my main game (I've bought both at launch since gen 4, and usually picked up the second version at some point before that).

Barring important legend distinctions, I'll likely go with Sword. I like Swords better than Shields, and blue better than red. Version exclusives aren't that hard to come by anymore with trading, so I doubt they'll factor in too much unless there's a big difference in which ones I like better.

Back