• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Take a seat right here.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It may not be a big thing, mechanically, but being able to sit on chairs allows the player to interact with the environment and adds realism and immersion. Like, what's stopping you from sitting on those chairs, especially in public spaces? It was very cute how in gen 6 you could sit, turn your head, and even speak to people who were sitting beside you.

Honestly, I really don't see why this was removed. It's just baffling. Some things had to get removed for the sake of having better graphics, which is a whole other can of worms. But sitting? Were they just not capable, or willing, to give the character model a sitting pose? Because that's really all they needed to do. It's very curious.

Years
    Honestly, I really don't see why this was removed. It's just baffling. Some things had to get removed for the sake of having better graphics, which is a whole other can of worms. But sitting? Were they just not capable, or willing, to give the character model a sitting pose? Because that's really all they needed to do. It's very curious.

I think Game Freak may have been working on so much that they probably didn't have time for it? But then we had a cutscene showing the protagonist sitting so it's something that'll be a mystery.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Chalk it up to seats being placed closer to other objects and in different shapes and sizes means you can't get away with a generic sitting down pose to look right all the time.

You can still sit on the big chair in the festival plaza if you want.

blue

gucci
    Years
    It's not like I spent a majority of my time sitting on benches in X/Y so this really doesn't bother me in the slightest. Sure it was a nice touch, but I probably wouldn't have even noticed it being removed hadn't it been pointed out.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Taro Tanaka's post reminded me of how I liked to save my game while sitting on a Pokémon Center chair, since it doesn't make sense to just stand doing nothing for however many hours the game was turned off. I guess now all I can do is save in front of the PC so I can block NPCs from using it. If I'm gonna have to stand the whole time, might as well do something useful, right?

Honestly though, I liked how in some places you could sit and it would change the camera angle so you could look at the pretty scenery. It seems like that would have been a great addition for SM, what with the improved over world graphics.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    *still reminded of a certain YouTuber who says "Benches!" in some point in XY playthrough*

Even though it's a bit of a letdown, I think Game Freak have pushed hard so that they can deliver the best game. Sadly they didn't have enough time to make the player able to sit in chairs and all, but I can roll with it atm, even though it irks me a bit considering how I'm able to do so in XY and possibly ORAS. I wish sitting in chairs feature would be back again someday.

Last edited:
    Years
    Even though it was certainly not a key feature, and one I didn't use often, it will nonetheless be missed.

R.I.P Sitting on Benches

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
    Taro Tanaka's post reminded me of how I liked to save my game while sitting on a Pokémon Center chair, since it doesn't make sense to just stand doing nothing for however many hours the game was turned off. I guess now all I can do is save in front of the PC so I can block NPCs from using it. If I'm gonna have to stand the whole time, might as well do something useful, right?

Honestly though, I liked how in some places you could sit and it would change the camera angle so you could look at the pretty scenery. It seems like that would have been a great addition for SM, what with the improved over world graphics.

I do this all the time in XY and ORAS too. I can't save without heading to the nearest Pokemon Centre and sitting down at a table or on the bench.

I'm amazed to find myself more bothered about this than I should be. Sitting down isn't necessary and doesn't impact the game in any way, but I'm actually disappointed that I can't sit down in SM. Weird lol

Edit: 300th post! :P ^^

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    i noticed this in the first few minutes of play. i went to chill on the couch in my house and was all..."hm...furniture is too close."

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I haven't gotten the real game yet, but this was something that I noticed when playing the demo, and it bugged me. I really can't think of a good reason why they didn't include it. It's not like they made vast improvements to the graphical engine or anything (the demo looked very similar to ORAS and XY to me), and I would assume that having the character sit down wouldn't be that hard, as they already coded it for similar customizable characters in the past.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    I never really used the benches or chairs too often anyways, but it was certainly an enjoyable novelty every once in a while.

We should hold a formal funeral for benches or something

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2022
    There were probably too many chairs in the game to allow for it, it might have taken up too much space on the cartridge. Though I don't really understand why they added in being able to lay in other people's beds.

Back