• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tales of Namco ★ Club~

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Mnn... if they do a prequel the voice actors wouldn't be big of a problem? Compared to nine characters+ characters for Symphonia there is only four that would have had voices before (Noishe doesn't count he just whines. You can do much with whining ahaha) and Martel barely said anything so you might as well say three? Sequel on the other hand... I don't want to think about it.

Symphonia's tenth anniversary is next year. I'm pretty sure they'll think of something for Symphonia by then. It could be why they're thinking on postponing the last episode? I'm not sure. If ToS would have been more difficult to port than Abyss though that could be one of the reasons and will be my reason. screw 'better battle system = the whole game is better' reason. why they ported Abyss. If Symphonia really is that big then I PS3 would probably be the best current option.

Symphonia is my favorite as well... but I think that's obvious aha..

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Pretty sure the Vita is a lot more powerful than the 3DS, so if the Vita can't do it, it would have to be on a full-blown console.

I don't know what the specs are for the Wii U, so while I'd like to say that they could possbily put a remake on Wii U -and- one of the other consoles, it's possible they'd have to dull down the game to make it fit for the Wii. (Unless the Wii U will be powerful enough to actually be a next-gen console instead of fitting it better in this gen?) I don't think PS3 would get it because unless they've already started the remake by now, it would end up coming out at the very end of the PS3's life before the next one, I think, and that's not good for sales. I don't think I'd want a remake of Symphonia, though. I think it still holds up well-enough on its own. The only thing I'd want to fix, honestly, is the loading times in the PS2 version and then it would be perfect. :(

Oh man I would love a prequel to ToS though, since I imagine they'd almost have to set it up for Mithos's original plot. Kratos! Martel! <3

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I was only concerned with the voices because I've heard that people really, really didn't like the voices in tos2, since their 'nostalgic kick' from the original members of the symphonian crew were shot from that. Given how wildly popular ToS was the first time around, I don't see them having a hard time paying extra to get Menville back for a ToSR, given how popular it's basically guaranteed to be.

And I know it seems weird to some, but I feel Lloyd's voice is a big deal. It's such an iconic voice; very distinct and recognizable. I can deal with them replacing him in RM and ToS:KoR given they're just spinoffs, but if they ever return to the original Symphonia ... Menville best be in it.

As for the remake, it depends on the specifics of Nintendo's involvement, I suppose. But, if Symphonia on Sony would be an impossibility for North America, ... I'm pretty certain NB would do a SymphoniaR on a Nintendo console. Symphonia is their one worldwide hit; they're not dum enough to ignore the mass, worldwide potential a remake would have.

Which is why I think/hope a SymphoniaR would be WiiU/PS3, simultaneous. PS3 in Japan to assay any enhanced porting fears, and WiiU worldwide to facilitate re-using of translating/possible rights issues with Nintendo.

Cherrim

Years
I thought the issue with getting some of the VAs back was to do with unions, not how much they had to pay. :( I know Menville still does incidental work in games (I saw his name scroll by under "additional voices" in Final Fantasy XIII-2 last night) so I can't imagine the issue with hiring him is just money.

I'm not sure Symphonia sold well enough overseas for them to bother even thinking about the people in NA/EU when they make it, though. Whether it's because they don't give them the publicity they need or just the tastes of English consumers, the Tales series does not sell well here. It does okay, but not well. If they'll get more people to buy it in Japan by putting it on a certain console rather than trying to pick something that everyone worldwide would like, they're gonna go with the Japan option.

Tales fans in English are pretty hardcore with their love for the series, but I think it's just a drop in the ocean to the Japanese dev teams. It's nice if they can get their work out there and localized in other places but it's not really on the forefront of any of their minds, I assume.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I thought Symphonia did pretty well here, actually... I think it was around 120,000 copies sold in the 2nd week I think?

Well, I mean, I understand the point about the Tales series having a small audience... in fact, that's part of the reason why the PS3 version of Vesperia never made it here I think.

Cherrim

Years
Did a quick google search and aside from the overall sales worldwide and the stat you mentioned, I can't find anything on its sales. Not much on the sequel either. :( All I can find are data on the Japanese sales which don't help much. I know ToS did well here (sold about half of what it did in Japan, as far as I can guess, which is good considering its sheer lack of advertisement), but the other Tales games pretty much bombed. So I really don't see them considering the NA/EU fan base in their development cycles unless they know it'll benefit the Japanese fans too. Though, I guess if there were one part of the franchise they would do it on, it would be ToS.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Pretty sure the Vita is a lot more powerful than the 3DS, so if the Vita can't do it, it would have to be on a full-blown console.

I don't know what the specs are for the Wii U, so while I'd like to say that they could possbily put a remake on Wii U -and- one of the other consoles, it's possible they'd have to dull down the game to make it fit for the Wii. (Unless the Wii U will be powerful enough to actually be a next-gen console instead of fitting it better in this gen?) I don't think PS3 would get it because unless they've already started the remake by now, it would end up coming out at the very end of the PS3's life before the next one, I think, and that's not good for sales. I don't think I'd want a remake of Symphonia, though. I think it still holds up well-enough on its own. The only thing I'd want to fix, honestly, is the loading times in the PS2 version and then it would be perfect. :(

Oh man I would love a prequel to ToS though, since I imagine they'd almost have to set it up for Mithos's original plot. Kratos! Martel! <3

If Symphonia ever gets remade (as in remade and not just ported to another console/system) UFOtable or get out. I think they've done a marvelous job overall with the OVA and so I wouldn't mind them being the ones who make the graphics for a remade!Symphonia. I wouldn't be surprised if they remade Symphonia and upgraded the battle system but if they do I would love for them to keep the EX Gems and not use... whatever they have for Tales of Games (AD Skills and what not). But honestly I wouldn't mind them just fixing the loading issues from the PS2 version and porting it to another console. There's a reason why I continue to play that game after all. And if they can add things into the game with the original graphics in tact then I would be all for that as well.

And pffft. Where's the love for Yuan? I can see some problems that they would have to consider when making the game (depressing ending anyone? as well as a lot of one-on-one battles if they want to stick to canon and Mithos facing the Summon Spirits by himself) but regardless I would love to know their history. So much.

/too lazy to comment on everything else hurr.

Cherrim

Years
I don't think they'd drastically alter the battle system or anything, even for a remake over a port. I'm pretty sure they didn't really change anything but graphics and maybe add in some extra areas/functions in all the other Tales remakes but I've also never played any of them so I dunno. XD;

That's the problem! There isn't much love for Yuan! :( He needs to be featured in another game to fix this.

Years
I restarted Eternia :P Been training like crazy, and now I'm getting Sylph. ^.^ I swear, it's so hard to get a Thrust level up so I've been abusing Megasonic Thrust like crazy. >.>

Anyone else here plays Eternia/Destiny II?

Cherrim

Years
I borrowed parallelzero's copy of the PSP version last year. I liked it. The characters were fun but I wasn't a fan of the battle system so for the last 1/5th of the game I did all my grinding on Auto. *ashamed* I never did get the hang of the summon spirits in that game.

I loved Meredy though. n_n

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Sadly, I haven't. I watched the majority of the OVA (which isn't even near like the game) but other than that I haven't been able to play it. I don't really like playing on ROMs aaand I don't have a PSP either.

At this rate I'm forever going to have only played Symphonia (1&2), Abyss, and part of Phantasia and Legendia.

Joshawott

Banned
Years
As of right now I only have a 3DS and a Wii, so the only game in the series that really interests me is Tales of the Abyss (I need to play Symphonia before it's sequel). For a while now I've been considering buying a PlayStation 3 to play a few of its games, but mostly to play many of the great PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 games I missed growing up (Metal Gear Solid, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.) Thing is, I was always quite skeptical as I don't have easy access to money, merely because I promised myself I'll never work in the fast food industry. Then I seen the English trailer for Graces f, which led me to get a simple paper route. Hundreds of amazing games, here I come!

Years
I borrowed parallelzero's copy of the PSP version last year. I liked it. The characters were fun but I wasn't a fan of the battle system so for the last 1/5th of the game I did all my grinding on Auto. *ashamed* I never did get the hang of the summon spirits in that game.

I loved Meredy though. n_n

Ahaha. Aren't all the battle systems in the Tales series the same? idrk though, cause I only played Eternia and Phantasia.. I did play Destiny but never finished it, since I didn't quite like the skill system.

Summon spirits in Eternia can't be summoned directly.. Yeah, I guess that's its difference with the other series?

Meredy 8D Hweel!

Sadly, I haven't. I watched the majority of the OVA (which isn't even near like the game) but other than that I haven't been able to play it. I don't really like playing on ROMs aaand I don't have a PSP either.

At this rate I'm forever going to have only played Symphonia (1&2), Abyss, and part of Phantasia and Legendia.

Yeah. I *tried* watching the Eternia OVA but I don't think I even finished one episode. XD I did finish watching the Phantasia OVA though.

Cherrim

Years
Ahaha. Aren't all the battle systems in the Tales series the same? idrk though, cause I only played Eternia and Phantasia.. I did play Destiny but never finished it, since I didn't quite like the skill system.

Summon spirits in Eternia can't be summoned directly.. Yeah, I guess that's its difference with the other series?

Meredy 8D Hweel!
I don't like the 2D systems. I started with Symphonia which, while you still run in a 2D line, has you in a 3D battle space. Same with the ones after it (except Legendia), which also include free run so you can use the 3D space effectively. I find the 2D systems really constraining and I'm bad at them since I never got used to them first. :P So I just sucked at Eternia's.
Yeah. I *tried* watching the Eternia OVA but I don't think I even finished one episode. XD I did finish watching the Phantasia OVA though.
I think I'm the opposite, although I stopped Phantasia's because I hadn't played the game. I only sat through Eternia's because I liked the characters well enough. <_< It wasn't very good as a standalone anime at all.

Years
I don't like the 2D systems. I started with Symphonia which, while you still run in a 2D line, has you in a 3D battle space. Same with the ones after it (except Legendia), which also include free run so you can use the 3D space effectively. I find the 2D systems really constraining and I'm bad at them since I never got used to them first. :P So I just sucked at Eternia's.

I think I'm the opposite, although I stopped Phantasia's because I hadn't played the game. I only sat through Eternia's because I liked the characters well enough. <_< It wasn't very good as a standalone anime at all.

Ah, I see. No wonder. I've only played Eternia and Phantasia (well, and Destiny, but never finished it) and all of them use a 2D plane so I find nothing wrong with that XD

Haha, really? I finished Phantasia because it was only 4 episodes. Eternia had what, 20+ I think.

Aaaand for the game itself, I actually abused Spiral Attack and Neo Tempest Swarm so much that now my Thrust levels are going up faster than Slash. o.o

Cherrim

Years
Mm, no, I think Eternia just had an OVA and was like... 5 episodes long? It was an extra story that takes place near the end of the game but is never referenced in the game itself. Maybe you're thinking of Tales of the Abyss's anime? If I'm not wrong, it's the only one with more than 20 episodes. :P

Years
Mm, no, I think Eternia just had an OVA and was like... 5 episodes long? It was an extra story that takes place near the end of the game but is never referenced in the game itself. Maybe you're thinking of Tales of the Abyss's anime? If I'm not wrong, it's the only one with more than 20 episodes. :P

Waitwhatnowhenwho?

Ahem. I mean, I saw the whole episode list one. It was definitely more than 5. XD

Wiki says it's got 13 episodes

Okay maybe not 20+ but still :P
Are the OVAs and anime two different things? XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Yeah. Eternia has thirteen. I got to about... episode ten I think but I never finished it.

Anyways, have a commercial guys!

Cherrim

Years
Omg you're right. :( But... but nothing happened in it so I assumed it was only ~5, haha. Whoops!

I like the art from the new Tales but I sure wish they'd give us more teasers than just that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Point taken. It was just shenanigans happening on an island if I remember correctly.

Same. Well, they'll be telling us the title during the Tales of Festival beginning on June (June 3rd or something?) so I guess we'll have to wait until then. I won't be surprised if something leaks before that day though. I'm also hoping that they say something about the next Symphonia OVA episode as well during the Tales of Festival if not sooner.

Back