• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tales of this thread

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    I think you should play it safe and wait on a price drop. I wouldn't call it horrible, though. It's playable, but it's disappointing in a lot of aspects.

that's what im doing. I think imma wait until the drop.
    as of right now, I've been playing Tales of the Abyss, and Tales of Xillia.
    Abyss is beyond my favorite Tales in the series. Xillia 2 is my 3rd, and ToV(Ps3) is my 2nd. I have also been playing a bit of Vesperia again as well every now and then. haha.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Yeah, wait for a price drop. I think it'll happen pretty soon because even Xillia and Xillia 2 had pretty big price drops/sales within 6 months and Zestiria is by far an inferior experience than both of them. :s

Or just skip it until it's crazy cheap and play older Tales in the meantime...! :D I started playing Phantasia PS1 recently and I'm so surprised at how good it is. I remember trying to play the GBA version and it was so bad, not to mention apparently it was a terrible localization, so I guess I was really surprised at how much I've been enjoying it. Even the battle system isn't as frustratingly dated as I thought it would be.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Or just skip it until it's crazy cheap and play older Tales in the meantime...! :D I started playing Phantasia PS1 recently and I'm so surprised at how good it is. I remember trying to play the GBA version and it was so bad, not to mention apparently it was a terrible localization, so I guess I was really surprised at how much I've been enjoying it. Even the battle system isn't as frustratingly dated as I thought it would be.

I almost bought the GBA port and I had a voice in my head telling me it was probably a bad decision, so I'm glad I didn't, haha. Are you playing on emulator?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Phantasia GBA is so bad lmao. I got as far as Dhaos' castle before giving up on it. Does remind me that I should see about playing the PS1 version sometime on Emulator though. Guess I can add that to the list of Tales of Games I need to play (which is pretty much all but Symphonia, Dotnw, Abyss, and Vesperia oops). I have Legendia but I have problems playing it because it's not multiplayer. :x Honestly I think that's why I haven't tried playing any of the games prior to Symphonia because it's just... not the same if I don't play them alongside my sister. .

Cherrim

Years
    I almost bought the GBA port and I had a voice in my head telling me it was probably a bad decision, so I'm glad I didn't, haha. Are you playing on emulator?
    Yep. I'm just playing it straight up in Japanese so I didn't have to worry about deciding on a fan-translation to use but apparently there are two out there and they're both really good. Much better than what bamco did with the GBA version which, aside from accidentally spellchecking "Ragnarok" to "Kangaroo", was apparently just a really boring, dull script.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    Yeah, ive been playing Abyss mostly. Since my drug addict brother stole my old 3DS with Abyss in there, I finally got a replacement game, and been playing it. :)
    on the side Ive been playing Xillia too (I never finished Milla's side in english, I want to finish it). I also plan on replaying Xillia 2 (mostly for Ludger's voice.)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Yeah, ive been playing Abyss mostly. Since my drug addict brother stole my old 3DS with Abyss in there, I finally got a replacement game, and been playing it. :)
    on the side Ive been playing Xillia too (I never finished Milla's side in english, I want to finish it). I also plan on replaying Xillia 2 (mostly for Ludger's voice.)

I was thinking about replaying tox for Jude's side since I played Milla's and then tox2 for Ludger's voice. It's imperative that I hear it more. lol

I started a replay of Abyss back in winter when I got the 3DS version, but never finished cause school got hectic. I think I might go back to that one after I play Vesperia. Or maybe right after I finish Earthbound, idk.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    I can't believe this thread exist inside a Pokemon forum {D:}

Well, I knew this franchise from a magazine back in primary school. I fell in love at the first sight with the battle system. It's not strategy like how Final Fantasy is, but a real time action battle that is more fun in my mind. After that, I decided to try out Abyss in my PS2. Not only that the system is fantastic, the story is just awesome! ^^

But, sadly, I can't play most of the series. The main reason is because I can't afford to buy the consoles and the game itself. Most of the time, I watch almost all of the series from a playthrough in youtube. As of now, I've played only Abyss, Eternia, Symphonia, and Graces. ;-;

And about Zestiria, I've been wondering why no one talk about Alisha here. :P

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Yeah I'm kinda quoting old posts but was pretty sure I had gotten far enough today to open them (and I was right) and I wanna say things so.....

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

So 2 spoiler tags down, like.....10 or something to go

btw, since that basically tells you what part of the game I'm at now, roughly how far am I now?

And since I've now spent a fair bit of time with the game I guess I'll post some of my thoughts about it.....

Guess the first thing I'll say is that I do like the new artes and battle system for the most part. It's a little weird looking at first, especially if you've played other Tales games, but once you get used to it it's actually pretty good, with the little arte triangle and the whole directionalty thing with martial artes. Also thank Arceus that they made it simple again to charge up energy for and unleash mystic artes, the way it was in Xillia 1 was ********. I also like how SC replaces the TP of past games, and so you don't need Orange Gels to be able to keep using your artes since you can just guard and other stuff to get SC back. Being able to switch around your seraphs in the middle of battle is pretty nice too, as is armatization, though it's annoying how your party is sorta restricted based on the number of humans you have (which hasn't been a problem for the majority of the game so far but it's annoying as hell when it does happen). There's also no one where I'm like "I don't ever wanna play you really" (like Regal in Symphonia or Karol in Vesperia) which is good since you have to shift your party around a bit sometimes. Though I wish one of the cast was a dedicated healer archetype, but oh well. Battle camera is complete ass but everyone knows that and I almost can't believe that they released the game with it like that. I suppose you could call the majority of the battles "mindless", but that's kinda true of the other Tales games too.

The skill and equipment systems though.....really not diggin' it. It's actually not the worst skill and equipment systems I've ever had to deal with (Xenosaga 2 gets that honor), but I'm ~30 hours in and I still don't understand how the **** it works, even after the games tries to explain it to you via monoliths and skits. It seems needlessly convoluted to me. Though really that's not the truly bad part about it, it's more how it seems that the game seems to think that everyone should get it (drop rates don't help either) and that occasionally causes battle issues. The new artes system is an example of changing something up for the better, the skill+equipment system is not imo. You want to make something easy to learn but difficult to master, not the other way around Namco.

Music is pretty good overall, but basically standard Tales fare so there's nothing completely outstanding either, except for the crucible battle music and the music for the 4 trail temples (this one is sexy as ****).

And then the story and characters. They certainly aren't bad; no really cringe worthy lines so far and it does make you laugh and stuff sometimes (but goddamn why does Lailah have to be into (bad) puns, I have to deal with bad puns enough already with Kieran and Ben), but it's not really anything to write home about either. If it's your first JRPG or even your first Tales game I don't think you'd be awfully disappointed at all. It's just that, if you're like me or most of the people in this thread, if it's not your first JRPG or Tales game.....it kinda leaves something to be desired too. After playing a bunch of JRPGs and 4 other Tales games I kinda want them to come up with a story and cast that'll blow me away really, and I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. I have the same issue with Pokemon really; after 6 generations and 15+ years of the series, I sort of have this high expectation/want that is never really met despite the games always being very solid anyway. The story also suffers a bit from the sequence of events not always flowing together nicely and it often (so far anyway) likes to not give any story relevant info for long periods of time and when it does drop hints they're either extremely obvious (there's been several times when the cast understands something and I'm like "no ****ing **** guys") if not just outright say it
    Spoiler:
    or just leaves you being like "c'mon I can't figure it out just tell me already =( " (though it may just be that I'm not terribly good at figuring out stuff sometimes). And while I do still have a decent chunk of the game to go I really doubt that what's left of the story is really going to be amazeballs or anything. Also Sorey is such a typical shonen protagonist it hurts.

Lailah is my favorite character to play as (and my sister has a penchant for to playing as Meebo Mikleo), but honestly my favorite character as a character is Edna; she's such a snarky little **** and I love it.

so yeah
    tl;dr: Zesteria isn't a bad game and does some good things/things that are an improvement over past games, but also has some significant flaws that make me not love it either. Though I daresay that I think I may like it more than Xillia 1.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    Honestly I didn't think the GBA translation was horrendous. Playable at least. The fan translations are superior, and they're working on the PSP port too! Can't wait for that!

Cherrim

Years
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Years
    I bought Tales of Xillia 2 recently. I should be nearly done with it. The Chapter 12 boss was really enjoyable, it left a lasting impression though maybe that's not a good thing since I haven't encountered another fight that was that good mix of amazing and difficult and its leaving me a little underwhelmed. I'll just hope the final chapter has its moments.

I find it funny how I go through this process every time I play a Tales game where I think I'm ready to replay one of the other Tales games I own yet once I hit the forty hour mark of the current one my interest wanes immensely.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I just started playing Zestiria today. My first tales game since this is the only one out on PC, apparently. I only played for, like, fifteen minutes since I have an exam tomorrow and couldn't have afforded more time, but I look forward to getting into the game! Will be back to post my impressions and possibly discuss more of it with y'all.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I bought Tales of Xillia 2 recently. I should be nearly done with it. The Chapter 12 boss was really enjoyable, it left a lasting impression though maybe that's not a good thing since I haven't encountered another fight that was that good mix of amazing and difficult and its leaving me a little underwhelmed. I'll just hope the final chapter has its moments.

I find it funny how I go through this process every time I play a Tales game where I think I'm ready to replay one of the other Tales games I own yet once I hit the forty hour mark of the current one my interest wanes immensely.

Oh trust me, you have a good bit more lasting moments that are coming to you...I don't even wanna think about them tbh...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    btw, does Rising Up and Existence To Be Feared ever play more than once in Zestiria or no?

Also....
    Spoiler:

And I'm already near the end of the game.....saw the usual long Tales "let's everbody have super serial talks before heading off to the final boss (for real this time!)" scene today. Gonna do some **** before that, but man, already getting there =(

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    btw, does Rising Up and Existence To Be Feared ever play more than once in Zestiria or no?
    Rising Up becomes Glaivend Basin's main BGM. So, just take a visit whenever you want to hear it again.

For Existence To Be Feared.
    Spoiler:

Also....
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Reactions: Nah
    Back