• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tall Grass - Your thoughts?

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2012
    I like the tall grass, but it can be annoying at times, e.g. when you have no repels/
    I like SS and HG, R/B/E/LG/FR and B/W's tall grass design.
    I only use repels if my Pokemon are low on healty, I've caught all of the Pokemon on the Route, or if I just can't be bothered.
    I usually fight the Pokemon for the sake of fightin (and EXP), but in some cases I just run away.

Years
  • I like the tall grass, but it can be annoying at times, e.g. when you have no repels/
    I like SS and HG, R/B/E/LG/FR and B/W's tall grass design.
    I only use repels if my Pokemon are low on healty, I've caught all of the Pokemon on the Route, or if I just can't be bothered.
    I usually fight the Pokemon for the sake of fightin (and EXP), but in some cases I just run away.

FR/LG didn't have the tall grass cos there wasn't any in Kanto.

B/W's tall grass on Route 7 has the worst design.

Years
  • Hate tall grass. Always try to use a repel for them. Also, I hate not being able to ride my bike in it ._.

Years
  • Hate tall grass. Always try to use a repel for them. Also, I hate not being able to ride my bike in it ._.

Yeah, the no riding bike thing is a bit aggravating. When I go through a route with tall grass (Hoenn's Route 119/120, Sinnoh's Route 209 and Unova's Route 7) I will only go through once or twice, then never return.

I hate tall grass cos I am a Trainer who loves riding their bike.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • So, what are your thoughts on tall grass in the games? I personally like it with regular tall grass allowing you to sometimes get a pokemon or evade the patch, but then there's the chance of it being a mandatory patch, and you have to buy repels. Super tall grass is a pain to go through though.

Which Generation of games had the best designed tall grass?
    Black and White, or 5th generation, because of the graphics put into it with all the advancement in technology. Platinum , HeartGold, and SoulSilver were okay as well.

Do you often use Repels if necessary? I used them only really in Mt. Coronet iirc. I sometimes use them in regular grass anywhere around regions repels are in.

Do you usually run from Pokemon you find boring or do you fight them for extra EXP? In the first runs I do find it boring, and other runs, I really actually do find it boring in any run.

Years
  • I remember going onto Route 119 in Hoenn for the first time when I was playing Ruby and I couldn't see where I was going due to that darn grass.

It wasn't fun at all.

Route 210 in Sinnoh was OK, but the fog made it difficult.

Route 7 in Unova was just as bad, especially when a shaking patch of grass shocked me and I fell into the shaking grass and all I found was an Emolga. That moment sparked my Route 7 hate.

Out of all those locations, Route 119/120 was definitely the worst.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I only find myself using the bike whenever there's a long, straight path ahead - I normally stick to running, particularly when it's a new area with trainers still about. As such, I don't really mind the bike-blocking aspect of the really tall grass, especially considering that I (for the most part) only go through them once. I also use Repels on a frequent basis, so the wild battles don't bother me either.

The only thing I found mildly annoying was not being able to see anything in the Hoenn really tall grass routes. I thought the way Unova handled that was actually pretty good, with the availability of the pathways you can walk through to avoid it entirely. Though that may be biased by the fact that I love the little balancing animation your character does when s/he's on it, haha.

Back