• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team-Building Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2016
    Hi, I am new to this community. I have some pokemon I'd like to use competitively but I want to know the best possible team. My old pvp team was incredibly weak to Ground, which got me swept by Earthquake.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hi, I am new to this community. I have some pokemon I'd like to use competitively but I want to know the best possible team. My old pvp team was incredibly weak to Ground, which got me swept by Earthquake.

It might be best to specify what Pokemon you're using, as well as their moves, natures, EVs, and items to give us a better idea. You're too vague.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Hello! I am new to playing Pokemon. I just bought a 2DS this Monday and bought the '98 Red version. I am eventually going to be fighting my girlfriend, who is respected among our mutual friends for being really good at the game. I have no idea what type of pokemon she may be fielding, but she knows that I'm probably going to be using a Charizard. So already, I'm at a disadvantage. Anyhow, here is my meager line up so far:

Aerodactyl -L32- Wing Attack, Agility, Razor Wind, HM taught Fly

Gyarados -L44- Hydro Pump, Body Slam, HM taught Surf, Thunderbolt

Charizard (my starter)-L45- Mega Punch, Skull Bash, Ember, Slash

Rhyhorn (brand new, plan to evolve ASAP) -L25- Horn Attack, Horn Drill, HM taught Strength

I'm not entirely sure what I should be using skill wise, as currently I'm only in my mid-40's Level wise on my highest pokemon. Also, as you can probably tell, I prefer doing a ton of damage upfront. I know my girlfriend will most likely be able to out stratagize me, so my plan is to try to dish out as much damage upfront as I can to hopefully throw her off-guard. Can anyone give me any suggestions, advice, and ideas? Thank you! (P.S. This is my first real post. So I apologize if this is not where I'm supposed to be posting this.. if that is the case, please shoot me a link to the proper thread and I'll gladly move.)

RawrMonkey

bloop
    Years
  • Hello! I am new to playing Pokemon. I just bought a 2DS this Monday and bought the '98 Red version. I am eventually going to be fighting my girlfriend, who is respected among our mutual friends for being really good at the game. I have no idea what type of pokemon she may be fielding, but she knows that I'm probably going to be using a Charizard. So already, I'm at a disadvantage. Anyhow, here is my meager line up so far:

Aerodactyl -L32- Wing Attack, Agility, Razor Wind, HM taught Fly

Gyarados -L44- Hydro Pump, Body Slam, HM taught Surf, Thunderbolt

Charizard (my starter)-L45- Mega Punch, Skull Bash, Ember, Slash

Rhyhorn (brand new, plan to evolve ASAP) -L25- Horn Attack, Horn Drill, HM taught Strength

I'm not entirely sure what I should be using skill wise, as currently I'm only in my mid-40's Level wise on my highest pokemon. Also, as you can probably tell, I prefer doing a ton of damage upfront. I know my girlfriend will most likely be able to out stratagize me, so my plan is to try to dish out as much damage upfront as I can to hopefully throw her off-guard. Can anyone give me any suggestions, advice, and ideas? Thank you! (P.S. This is my first real post. So I apologize if this is not where I'm supposed to be posting this.. if that is the case, please shoot me a link to the proper thread and I'll gladly move.)

Ohh a gen 1 team.

While not bad, Charizard, Gyarados, and Aerodactly suffer against many of gen 1's threats.

You have a glaring weakness to Starmie, so you might want to consider a Chansey to sponge it's attacks or an Exeggutor, beware of Blizzards or Ice beams though. You could use Jolteon or Zapdos to KO it.

You can always refer to Smogon's RB strategy dex for move sets. Most stuff is pretty standard and you may have trouble acquiring a full team with these exact move sets due to the inability of reusing TMs, unless you abuse the missingno. glitch of course.

You can always slap on a Hyper Beam TM to everything, doesn't require recharging if it KOs. ;)

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Ohh a gen 1 team.

While not bad, Charizard, Gyarados, and Aerodactly suffer against many of gen 1's threats.

You have a glaring weakness to Starmie, so you might want to consider a Chansey to sponge it's attacks or an Exeggutor, beware of Blizzards or Ice beams though. You could use Jolteon or Zapdos to KO it.

You can always refer to Smogon's RB strategy dex for move sets. Most stuff is pretty standard and you may have trouble acquiring a full team with these exact move sets due to the inability of reusing TMs, unless you abuse the missingno. glitch of course.

You can always slap on a Hyper Beam TM to everything, doesn't require recharging if it KOs. ;)

Thank you for the advice! That sight has been very helpful :) However, I am still in need of some advice. I have discovered one of her pokemon.. Mew. I'm 100% sure she has it and plans to use it. Personally, I don't plan to use the glitch to obtain Mew, and I've mad a pact with her that I wont use Mewtwo when I finish the game. So, in your personal opinion, what do you think my best course of action is here? None of the bug type pokemon are really good, but it appears that I have no real choice if I want to counter that kind of power. I was considering Articuno for the devasting Blizzard attack with the chance to freeze, but is there a better course of action?

RawrMonkey

bloop
    Years
  • Thank you for the advice! That sight has been very helpful :) However, I am still in need of some advice. I have discovered one of her pokemon.. Mew. I'm 100% sure she has it and plans to use it. Personally, I don't plan to use the glitch to obtain Mew, and I've mad a pact with her that I wont use Mewtwo when I finish the game. So, in your personal opinion, what do you think my best course of action is here? None of the bug type pokemon are really good, but it appears that I have no real choice if I want to counter that kind of power. I was considering Articuno for the devasting Blizzard attack with the chance to freeze, but is there a better course of action?

Psychic types are annoying, Mew especially since it can learn every TM. Mew also has the same potential of wrecking your team as Starmie does if it runs a special set. Your best bet is to use status if we assume you don't know what moves she has.

Articuno can work for the freeze chance along with it's strong Blizzards but you'll be adding on to the common weaknesses you already have. I'd suggest replacing Aerodactyl or Charizard if you were to choose Articuno. Zapdos could work too for the same reasons, different coverage, and a thunder wave. You could also go with Chansey with Thunder Wave, would help tremendously with your weaknesses and you'll have Rhydon to make up for it's weak defense stat.

Some other Pokemon that can induce status:
    Exeggutor with sleep powder and/or Stun Spore. Decent against non-ice beam Mew.
    Jolteon with thunder wave. Super fast thunder waves and has Pin Missle... lol
    Slowbro with thunder wave. Decent against non-thunderbolt Mew.
    Tauros with body slam. Potentially faster than her Mew and stab Body Slams. OP.

drfaustfaustus

Not a real doctor
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2018
    Howdy~ I'm trying my hand at this whole team-building thing, and even though half of my team is in place simply due to sentimental value, I'd still like for my team to work as solidly as possible. It's entirely composed of Gen 1 Pokemon, though not Gen 1 mechanics. Again, sentimental attachment. I'm not sure how to complete my team, though.

What I've got so far:

Marowak
    Ability: Rock Head
    Item: Thick Club
    Nature: Adamant
    Bonemerang
    Fire Punch
    Swords Dance
    Double Edge
    252 ATK/252 SPD/4 HP

Lapras
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Hypnosis
    Toxic
    252 SP DEF/252 SP ATK/4 HP

Arcanine
    Ability: Intimidate
    Item: Charcoal
    Fire Fang
    Thunder Fang
    Sunny Day
    Morning Sun
    252 ATK/4 DEF/252 SPD

Jolteon
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Item: Magnet
    Nature: Rash
    Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power Ice/Signal Beam
    Thunder Wave
    ???
    252 SP ATK/4 SP DEF/252 SPD

Aerodactyl
    Ability: Pressure
    Item: ???
    Nature: Jolly
    Thunder Fang
    Stealth Rock
    Substitute
    Aerial Ace
    252 ATK/4 SPD/252 HP

Any help would be appreciated~
    I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on a 6th Pokemon, though I'm thinking Kangaskhan or Snorlax. Jolteon and Aerodactyl (especially Aerodactyl) are also negotiable, as I'm not set having them on the team. I may also drop Lapras for a Gyarados if it suits, though I'm a huge fan of Lapras.
    Thank you very much in advance~

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Need 3 more Pokemon to complete my competitive team. Please HELP!!!

Hey everyone I posted for help in a different forum which was deceased so I thought I'd try my luck here. I'm looking to battle a friend in a few days and we're not using legendaries. All that I know about his team is that he plans to use Armaldo on his team. Here's my team thus far.

Mega-Blazikien
    Speed Boost ability
    Adamant nature
    Item: Blazikenite
    EVs: 252att, 252spe 4def
    Moves:
    -Protect
    -Baton Pass
    -Flare Blitz
    -Hi Jump Kick

Sableye
    Prankster ability
    Bold nature
    Evs: 252hp, 220sdef, 36def
    Moves:
    -Will o' Wisp
    -Confuse Ray
    -Recover
    -Foul Play/Taunt???

Rotom-Wash
    Levitate ability
    Modest nature
    Item:???
    Evs: 252hp, 252def, 4 spa
    Moves:
    -Will o' Wisp
    -Volt Switch
    -Pain Split
    -Hydro Pump

What Pokemon would you suggest to run alongside this team? I was considering a Tyranitar/Excadrill sand combination but I'd really like some advice from people who know what they're doing.

Years
    • Age 28
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 20, 2017
    Hey all. I'm an old hat at competitive singles, I've been going since DPP, but I want to mix it up and go for doubles. Here's what I have so far:

Clefairy
    Ability: Friend Guard
    Item: Eviolite
    Nature: Bold
    248 HP, 148 Def, 112 SpDef
    - Follow Me
    - Helping Hand
    - Heal Pulse
    - Moonblast

Ninjask
    Ability: Speed Boost
    Item: Focus Sash
    4HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
    - Protect
    - Swords Dance
    - Baton Pass
    - X-Scissor

Mega Heracross
    Ability: Skill Link
    Item: Heracronite
    252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Speed
    - Arm Thrust
    - Rock Blast
    - Pin Missile
    - Bullet Seed

Smeargle
    252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Speed
    Ability: Moody
    Item: Choice Scarf
    - Transform
    - Dark Void
    - Doesn't really matter, since I transform into Heracross turn 1 anyway

That's all I have. I'll be playing battle spot doubles mostly, so I've given it a go and I love the transform Smeargle. I also really like the Clefairy, it can take hits surprisingly well and Friend Guard/Follow Me/Heal Pulse is nice. However, Taunt users do destroy this team, especially Prankster Taunt (I'm looking at you, Thundurus). Any advice/extra team members?

Last edited:

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • Dont teach the two of your pokemon will-o-wisp. I advice replacing one with overheat or fire blast, although fire blast is much better for long battles. And yes, you should have atleast one grass type pokemon with good grass type moves. This would make your team balanced.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2018
    I found Rhyperior to be a pretty alright wall in most situations. And maybe a life orb Reuniclus for SpA?

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • My First Battle On PC

Hi everyone. Today, i had my first battle on PC. I played three or four battles back to back and LOST ALL OF THEM. Waah! Could anyone give me some tips on battling, pleeease? My team consisted of Bronzong, Gengar, Ferroseed, Celebi, Kyurem white and Charizard.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Yeah we need a lot more info about your team. Replays are nice too. What tier were you playing in? And against who?

Years
  • Magneton
    Prankster ability: Sturdy
    Item: Eviolite
    Evs: 4Hp, 252SpA, 252Spe
    Moves:
    -Thunderbult
    -Flash Cannon
    -Tri Attack
    -Discharge

I have been using this build while going through the main story again and it was wracked everyone I have faced.

Sturdy is a nice ability when you come up agains ground and fighting types so you don't get OTK.

Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon, and Discharge are all STAB with is really nice any they play in to Magneton being a special attacker.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Wow didn't expect so many replies! Thanks :D

So I've finalized my team who are now level 60ish, so I'm grinding away with lucky eggs. Here's what I have.

Mega-Blaziken
    Speed Boost ability
    Adamant nature
    Blazikenite
    Evs: 252atk/ 252spe/ 4def

-Protect
    -Baton Pass
    -Flare Blitz
    -Hi Jump Kick

Sableye
    Prankster ability
    Bold nature
    Leftovers
    Evs: 252hp/ 220sdef/ 36def

-Will o' Wisp
    -Confuse Ray
    -Recover
    -Knock Off

I decided to go with Knock Off as opposed to Taunt and Foul Play. With a Will o'/ Confuse Ray setup and with recover/leftovers for anything that comes through, and then items start dropping.

Rotom-Wash
    Levitate ability
    Bold nature
    Rocky Helmet (Item Clause)
    Evs: 252hp/ 252def/ 4spe

-Will o' Wisp
    -Volt Switch
    -Pain Split
    -Hydro Pump

Tyranitar
    Sand Stream ability
    Jolly nature
    Choice Scarf

- Stone Edge
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - Crunch

I was thinking of running a more defensive Ttar build with smooth rock to set up Sexcadrill more effectively in sand (see what I did there... Oh yes... Yes you did...) If you think this would be better please let me know!

Excadrill
    Sand Rush ability
    Adamant nature
    Life Orb

- Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin

...and finally for grass/water coverage

Amoonguss
    Regenerator ability (Very hard to get via the GTS)
    Bold nature
    Black Sludge
    Evs: 252hp/ 160def/ 96sdef

- Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Clear Smog
    - Sludge Bomb

Note my team may be changed, like I said I'm still training. Please let me know what you think!

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
  • Hi! I'm trying to build a Kanto-Johto Pokemon only team for the upcoming Johto Classic tournament, but I'm having trouble figuring out which Pokemon to fill up my team with! So far here are the Pokemon I'd like to use:

Spoiler:

I'm unsure how to round this team out. I was considering adding in Azumarill, thinking the fairy typing could help me out, but was turned off by there already being a water type on the team. I wasn't sure about adding a grass type, either. Maybe Venusaur or Meganium? I'm not sure.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hi! I'm trying to build a Kanto-Johto Pokemon only team for the upcoming Johto Classic tournament, but I'm having trouble figuring out which Pokemon to fill up my team with! So far here are the Pokemon I'd like to use:

Spoiler:

I'm unsure how to round this team out. I was considering adding in Azumarill, thinking the fairy typing could help me out, but was turned off by there already being a water type on the team. I wasn't sure about adding a grass type, either. Maybe Venusaur or Meganium? I'm not sure.
    Mega Stones are banned in that particular tournament.

Skarmory is best suited for a defensive spread, as its offensive move pool is rather shallow. As tempting as Cell Battery is, Skarmory is unlikely to survive an Electric attack after it's damaged. It also needs Roost for reliable recovery:
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Whirlwind/Taunt
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Sturdy

or
    -Iron Head
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Whirlwind/Taunt
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Ability: Sturdy

Raikou outclasses Jolteon at what it does because the former is somewhat more bulkier and still decently fast:
    -Calm Mind
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Volt Switch/Substitute
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Shadow Ball/Extrasensory
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Even with the Sheer Force boost, Bulldoze is still out damaged by Earthquake. Feraligatr doesn't need any Ground coverage, as Sheer Force Waterfall damages Electric Pokemon decently enough (except for Lanturn, but it's not a really good Pokemon):
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Crunch/Ice Punch
    -Superpower/Ice Punch
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2017
    Ideas to finish this team?

Currently my team looks like this

HA seaking adamant
    Special attack dragonair with its HA modest
    Guts flareon brave
    intimidate mawile adamant

These four are staying on my team

I was thinking about throwing lopunny on my team has its HA and is jolly but not sure how it would mix in with the team. For the last pokemon I still don't know, I was thinking about tailwind or trick room but trick room would hurt lopunny if I go that way and tailwind I don't think would give enough to help the rest of my team.

I also thought of sticky web but there are like 4 pokemon that learn it and I dont really like any of them, same problem as tailwind too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back