• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Team GG" - My Favorite ADV Team

Anti

return of the king
Years
  • Introduction:

I'm back at it on Netbattle! I'm totally liking messing around in ADV and adjusting to the metagame again. However, the amount of offensive threats is much less than those is DP, which works to my advantage as I love defensive teams. This, like all teams I use, is putting defense before offense and using some handy stalling to wear everything out. As much as I love Spikes, they actually have been excluded because stalling directly is harder but more fun IMO so go go go stall!

This team also lacks a Rapid Spinner but seriously, my team heals itself easily with Rest + Heal Bell.Two of my pokemon are immune to Spikes as well and Celebi can recover off that damage very easily so I don't really mind.

This team actually kind of fell into my hands as I created it. Swampert was a given and Steelix/Weezing sounded like a fun idea. snorlax because I hate Blissey and I have other teams that utilize Regice. Celebi was the best Beller I could find and is a stall machaine which worked out well. However, I've been having a lot of trouble with the ast pokemon slot where Gyarados currently is. My biggest problems were with Suicune and Celebi, which Gyara is designed to destroy. Dusclops is also a minor annoyance.

Either way I've considered several pokemon for that slot, including gyarados (which is there now), Vaporeon, Mantine (sounds crazy but walls Suicune and has Water Absorb, and it also Hazes Celebi), Regice, Zapdos...anything that could counter Celebi and suicune with good success with the help from the rest of my team. If something works better than Gyarados I'd love to hear about it since that is the only toss-up I currently have.

You DP raters can help a lot in this department ;)

Team:

Weezing: Stealth Rock (Physical Wall / Ground Immunity / Fighting Resist)

Weezing (M) @ Leftovers ** Stealth Rock
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Flamethrower
    - Thunderbolt
    - Will-O-Wisp

The first part of my physical walling duo pretty much laughs at fighters especially and also makes Choice band Earthquake seem foolish. Weezing can WoW a lot of crap that bugs it and Thunderbolt and Flamethrower will deal with what it needs to counter.

Once I establish Weezing as the physical wall of my team, the opponent will of course adjust and lay off on the fighting and ground moves. That's when the second half of my physical walling duo comes into play. Rest will heal Weezing more reliably than Pain Spilt and has Cleric support to work with.

Steelix: Skarm (Physical Wall / Normal Resist / Rock Resist / PHazer)

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers ** Skarm
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 216 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Toxic
    - Rest
    - Roar

Steelix! with Weezing this will resist every physical attack type in the game. Steelix has a double rock resist to work with and Weezing to back it up so those physical weaknesses are no problem. Magneton can't even OHKO me with HP Fire and dies to Earthquake. Game over.

Steelix also PHazes BPers and stat-uppers in general and provides all the resists in the world. Also a normal resist, Steelix is the best BL in ADV IMO. Rest so I can heal and toxic and Earthquake to deal damage. However I need some support to get rid of the nasty sleep rest brings. This is where the next pokemon comes in.

Celebi: 'Bi 'Bi Gun (Heal Beller)

Celebi @ Leftovers ** 'Bi 'Bi Gun
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Heal Bell
    - Leech Seed
    - Psychic
    - Recover

Celebi is, as other people have said before, like crack. Once you use it you just can never make yourself not use it. Seriously though Leech Seed seriously annoys Blissey and Snorlax who get any ideas about try to outstall me (which will not happen as my entire team carries Rest) and disable walls in general. This is critical to my team's success as it allows them to heal free of the burden Rest causes. However I must be careful about Dugtrio as Celebi's absence will hurt a lot.

Celebi has a bunch of fun resistances to play with (and it better with those 7 weaks) and also has fun with Psychic for ruining Gengar. Recover is for obvious stalling purposes and really to annoy the hell out of whatever I want.

Snorlax: Bliss (Special Wall / Tank)

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers ** Bliss
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 160 HP / 56 Atk / 136 Def / 156 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Curse
    - Shadow Ball
    - Rest
    - Body Slam

Snorlax is a monster. Game over. Obviously this is my special wall and also crushes whatever I want it to crush. It counters the wide variety of special threats I hate and Curses up in front of their faces. Thick Fat is helpful as it stones Moltres and Entei (lol) as well as Houndoom and covers a few of Celebi's weaknesses. Snorlax is also immune to Shadow Ball. Earthquake deals with Gross/Tar switch-ins and pretty much murders them, especially Tar.

It also does well at stalling out and setting up on Bulky Waters. Snorlax is also my last hope pokemon, where I make sure it doesn't die when I know stalling is hopeless and I can make a comeback and cannot be PHazed.

Swampert: Game Over (Bulky Water / Rock Resist)

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers ** Game Over
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SAtk
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Earthquake
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Rest

Obvious killer of Steel walls...Swampert! Bulky Grounds also fall and laughing at Mence, Gross, and bulky grounds is just too much fun. My best defense against Mence and creams HP Ice Raikou and Jirachi (though Steelix and Snorlax kill raikou anyways).

Rest is for healing and Celebi supports it well. Swampert is also a more relibale rock resist than Steelix in the sense that almost everything that carries a rock move will also carry EQ to kill stuff just like Steelix. God I hate Quakeslide.

Gyarados: DeeDeeGya (Physical Sweeper / Anti-Stall / Ground Immunity)

Gyarados @ Leftovers ** DeeDeeGya
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 212 HP / 16 Atk / 180 Def / 100 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Taunt
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance

Gyarados was a total filler that was basically to beat two pokemon I have trouble against, Suicune and Celebi. while it isn't perfect is sure can set up quickly and packs a deadly punch. Taunt is to shut down attempts of setting up, Baton Passing, etc. and of course PHazing moves.

honestly something better can probably replace it but meh, I really like gyarados.

Strategy:

The Strategy of this team is quite simple. I wall what I can and find out what my opponent's arsenal of attacks and pokemon is. I then make a plan from there accordingly. A few things I always do:

- See who the Gyarados counter is. This lets me make that pokemon enemy #1 so my team can stall it out, wear it down, and let Gyarados finish it.
    - Scout for Dugtrio. Without cleric support I'm scarewed, so when I bring Celebi in I'll either attack right away (as HP Bug from Duggy is not a OHKO) or switch out to Swampert or Gyarados right away.
    - Identifiy and plot the destruction of the op[ponent's Bulky Water. This lets me take out a huge part of the foe's physical defense and lets me have a better chance of dominating with Gyarados or even Lax.
    - On electrics, find out if they are running hidden Power Grass or Ice. Swampert's life depends on this so I generally throw it in right away and then switch out at once to Celebi to scout for the HP type.
    - Kill the oppionent's steel wall. This pretty much makes blocking Curselax impossible if they don't have Donphan or Suicune. Most steels don't mind Earthquake but for those that do I will be ready to attack.

After I feel pretty safe and know the opponents team, it's just a game of wear and tear. since prediction is my strong suit I can hammer Celebi coming in on Swampert with Ice Beam and bring in Gyarados while it recovers or attacks. I basically wear everything down and then bring in Gyarados to just sweep the foe's whole team.

The early game is very challenging as I don't know what's coming, but if I can survive that, this team is tough to stop.

Problems:

My biggest problem is with that last slot. While the team revolves around making Gyarados fit to sweep, Curselax can do that probably better (just without speed) so a physical sweeper isn't necessary at all. I'm considering a lot of options (especially Vapreon and Mantine) to fill in for it so I'm open to help with that.

Threat List:

Tyranitar: Swampert / Steelix / Weezing

Swampert is the ebst TTar counter in ADV and Steelix also takes Rock Slide like a Champ. Weezing is only hurt by rock Slide which the other two wall. Steelix can roar away DDs and Weezing can WoW any TTar without Taunt.

Zapdos: Snorlax

Yeah gg Zapdos. Seriously, Zapdos gets walled really bad by Lax and it can Curse up if it so pleases. Swampert also annoys those without HP Grass by gets PP stalled anyways.

Metagross: Steelix / Weezing / Swampert / Gyarados

Steelix only falls to Earthquake which weezing sucks up like a champ. The great thing about Steelix is that even a Choice Band Explosion will not KO it and Steelix can Roar away Agility. Swampert is more reliable than playing the guessing game on which pokemon (Steelix or weezing) to switch in and sucks up Meteor Mash. Gyarados also kind of laughs at Metagross.

Raikou: Steelix / Snorlax

Raikou is surprisingly walled by Steelix unless it has some crazy Hidden Power. Snorlax will also do the same, but Steelix is prefered due to electric immunity. However if I don't want Steelix to lose all its PP for Eathquake snorlax can Body Slam the pest.

Regice: Snorlax

Snorlax can take anything Regice throws at it, including Focus Punch (go go go McIceReg!) thanks to Thick Fat and awesome special defense. Snorlax can Curse up even on Psych Up Regice easily and will crush it. Swampert can also deliver a strong Earthquake but it doesn't do much and doesn't like STAB Ice Beam.

Suicune: Gyarados

Gyarados is my only good line of defense against Suicune. It will Taunt its Calm Mind, rest, and Roar attempts and will set up on Suicune all day long. Celebi can also Leech Seed Suicune to zap its health quicker.

Snorlax: Celebi / Gyarados

Celebi Leech Seeds this thing to hell. Cursing attempts are Roared away by Steelix and Weezaing always has the option of shutting it down with WoW and forcing it to Rest, which will allow Steelix to come in roisk-free and get rid of Lax. Gyarados sets up on this thing with moderate success but has to watch for Para Hax from Body Slam.

Skarmory: Weezing / Swampert

Weezing has Thunderbolt and Flamethrower to hurt Skarmory pretty bad. Swampert will also 2HKO it with Hydro Pump. Gyarados can Taunt it and shut it down temporarily but cannot defeat Skarm.

Donphan: Celebi / Swampert

Donphan can't really hurt Celebi and takes a load from Psychic. Leech Seed and recover help me stall it out pretty well. Swampert doesn't like wearthquake, but can take it and OHKO Donphan with Hydro Pump. any sey without rock Slide will be a set-up fodder for Gyarados.

Salamence: Swampert / Steelix / Weezing / Snorlax / Gyarados

CBmence will be worn down by Steelix to take HP Flying and Weezing to abosrb Brick Break or Eathquake. Swampert is pretty reliable in countering any Salamence without HP Grass as well. Mixed Salamence can't really hurt Swampert if it lacks HP Grass and those with HP Grass are walled hard by Celebi. Elemence is just shattered by Snorlax. Gyara is also quite bulky and can srug off a few hits with Intimidate helping it out and can Dragon Dance on it as long as it isn't rock Sliding me.

Medicham: Weezing / Gyarados

Weezing is THE Medicham counter and isn't really hit by anything it has. Weezing can fire back with WoW or just attack it head-on. If Shadow Ball is a little too much to handle, Steelix can always take it from Choice Band variants (basically all Medicham). Gyarados also resists its STAB and is quite useful for that.

Weezing: Celebi

Even Sludge bomb and Flamethrower don't really hurt and I can recover off damage and kill it with Psychic.

Jirachi: Snorlax / Steelix / Swampert

Jirachi sets that use Psychic and thunder/Thunderbolt get walled hard by Steelix and Swampert is a reliable counter to all Jir sets unless it's running something crazy like HP Grass. Snorlax can also break its subs with Earthquake and walls it very easily. Steelix can screw up Wish with Roar as well.

Claydol: Swampert / Gyarados

Claydol cannot hurt Swampert and swampert will hurt Claydol with Hydro Pump and Ice Beam. If I fear Explosion, I always have Steelix to take the blow. Gyarados also laughs at Clydol and sets up.

Swampert: Celebi / Gyarados

Celebi laughs at Ice Beam and walls Swampert very well. Leech Seed will annoy it even more. gyarados also sets up on Swampert without Rock Slide pretty easily.

Vaporeon: Snorlax / Gyarados

Snorlax can easily switch in and set up in Vappy's face. It can body slam subs it might want to pass as well. Gyarados can shut Vappy down with Taunt and sets up on it.

Milotic: Snorlax

While tougher to beat than Vaporeon, Milotic is still defeated by Snorlax handily. Lax can Rest off Toxic and other status. If Milotic has Hypnosis, it could cause Lax a few problems so I'd need something else to absorb that status. Celebi also takes those without Ice Beam pretty well as it can Leech Seed Milotic and stall it out. Natural Cure helps with status moves. Without Ice Beam or toxic, Gyara can cause soem problems.

Heracross: Weezing / Gyarados

Heracross cannot touch Weezing at all. Weezing can fire back with Flamethrower. Gyara also resists both of Hera's STAB moves and will OHKO with HP Flying.

Forretress: Weezing / Gyarados

Forretress just gets torched by Flamethrower. Nothing it has besides a well-timed explosion even comes close to hurting Weezing. Gyarados can Taunt Forry and will DD up and dispatch of Forretress.

Blissey: Snorlax / Gyarados

Blissey is easily stalled by Snorlax while it Curses up on Blissey. Gyarados is an epic pain of course.

Dugtrio: Weezing

You can't really counter Dugtrio because of Arena Trap, but weezing is certainly useful in coming in after a kill and make that Choice Band Earthquake backfire. Other things can take on Dugtrio, but nothing quite like Weezing can. Swampert will also scare it off. Dugtrio doesn't really threaten this team at all besides Celebi.

Magneton: Snorlax

Even Metal Sound variants just get crushed by Earthquake. Even though Steelix gets trapped by Maggy, it isn't OHKOed and can kill it with Earthquake so I don't really fear it.

Marowak: Weezing / Celebi

Weezing being immune to its best move certainly helps and Celebi also has some really handy resists. Weezing's WoW totally disables Marowak as well.

Celebi: Gyarados

Gyara is my only hope against Celebi which is a bit risky. Hidden Power flying will blow right over Celebi and Dragon Dance prevents Recover from stalling me out. Of course there's also taunt to stop it from performing its basic tasks.

Dusclops: Gyarados / Steelix

Gyarados can Taunt Clops and make it attack gyarados head-on. Switch into WoW can be tough, but Celebi can clear up any mistakes there. Speaking of Celebi, it doesn't like shadow Ball but can Leech Seed Clops and derive it of its already-low HP. Steelix cannoy really be hurt be Clops and can lay the deadly Toxic on Dusclops.

Aerodactyl: Swampert

Aero's STAB moves are soaked up by Steelix, but it can't really fight back. Still, Toxic will give it something to think about. My real counter is Swampert since it resists one of its STABs and can easily kill it with Ice Beam or Hydro Pump. Weezing is handy for taking Earthquake if I seer that coming.

Gengar: Swampert / Celebi

Gengar without Giga Drain cannot really stand up to Swampert, and Giga Drain Gengar will not like Celebi all too much and Celebi can OHKO with STAB Psychic.

Jolteon: Snorlax / Steelix

Steelix cannot really be hurt by Jolteon unless it carries HP Fire or Water and can OHKO with Earthquake. The real greatness with Steelix is its Ability to Roar away Baton Pass Jolteons (almost all of them) with ease. Snorlax can also hurt it but will have trouble stopping Subpassing attempts.

Gyarados: Weezing

Gyarados can't really hurt Weezing unless it's carrying a special attack and is massacred by Thunderbolt.

Sceptile: Celebi / Gyarados

Celebi absorbs Leech Seed and doesn't evne mind HP Fire or Ice and launches back STAB Psychic, which will really sting. Gyarados can smash it with Hidden Power Flying as well, but that can be tricky to pull off. with Dragon Dance and Taunt though, Sceptile will have its own troubles.

Ludicolo: Celebi / Gyarados

Ludi is tougher, but Celebi beats the annoyer/staller sets easily and will wear it down after a few Psychics. Any set without Leech Seed is devastated by Snorlax. Gyarados Taunts Ludi to no end and mashes it with HP Flying.

Dragonite: Weezing / Swampert

Dragonite can't really hurt Swampert or Weezing and will die to Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, respectively (thought the latter will take a few hits to really wear on Dnite). Weezing can WoW Dragonite as well and will shut it down.

Flygon: Weezing / Steelix / Swampert

Flygon's STAB attack is absorbed like candy by Weezing and Flygon gets a nasty WoW in its face. Steelix can also annoy it if it's locked onto a move resisted by Steelix. Swampert takes any Flygon without Giga Drain as well.

Slaking: Steelix / Weezing

Slaking is a toughie. I have to outpredict to beat it. Weezing will take Focus Punch and Earthquake with ease and can WoW back while Steelix gobbles up its STAB move and also laughs at Shadow Ball.

Umbreon: Gyarados / Steelix

Gyarados can taunt Umbreon and shut it down, but must watch out for status on the switch. Steelix can use Toxic and disable Umbreon the whole game while Steelix is immune to Toxic from Umbreon.

Starmie: Snorlax

Standard special wall beats standard special sweeper.

Breloom: Weezing / Gyarados

Breloom can only put Weezing to sleep. Otherwise it cannot hurt it at all and falls to Flamethrower. Swampert can also Ice Beam Breloom, but Weezing's Focus Punch resistance is just godly. Gyarados works in the same way but has Taunt and a more deadly attack to kill it with.

Alakazam: Snorlax

See Starmie. Trickbanding also doesn't hurt it too much since snorlax will then be given mammoth attack to work with and can launch high-powered STAB Body Slams.

Kingdra: Snorlax

Kingdra will dent it pretty well in the rain but will still fall to Snorlax, especially Body Slam. Cleebi can switch into water move and stall Rain Dance turns out as well with a little prediction and will let Snorlax handle it even better.

Machamp: Weezing

Pretty much like Breloom. Steelix can absorb all but Machamp's killer STAB attacks as well.

Tauros: Steelix / Weezing

Steelix is handy as the normal resist for dealing with Tauros. The only thing that hurts it is Earthquake, which I have Weezing for if I fear it that much and will of course fall to WoW.

Ninjask: Steelix

Obvious Roaring duties are fulfilled here.

Last edited:

jc_rcw

:God:
    Years
  • Introduction:

First off, cute thread :3

I'm back at it on Netbattle! I'm totally liking messing around in ADV and adjusting to the metagame again. However, the amount of offensive threats is much less than those is DP, which works to my advantage as I love defensive teams. This, like all teams I use, is putting defense before offense and using some handy stalling to wear everything out. As much as I love Spikes, they actually have been excluded because stalling directly is harder but more fun IMO so go go go stall!

This team also lacks a Rapid Spinner but seriously, my team heals itself easily with Rest + Heal Bell.Two of my pokemon are immune to Spikes as well and Celebi can recover off that damage very easily so I don't really mind.

This team actually kind of fell into my hands as I created it. Swampert was a given and Steelix/Weezing sounded like a fun idea. snorlax because I hate Blissey and I have other teams that utilize Regice. Celebi was the best Beller I could find and is a stall machaine which worked out well. However, I've been having a lot of trouble with the ast pokemon slot where Gyarados currently is. My biggest problems were with Suicune and Celebi, which Gyara is designed to destroy. Dusclops is also a minor annoyance.

Either way I've considered several pokemon for that slot, including gyarados (which is there now), Vaporeon, Mantine (sounds crazy but walls Suicune and has Water Absorb, and it also Hazes Celebi), Regice, Zapdos...anything that could counter Celebi and suicune with good success with the help from the rest of my team. If something works better than Gyarados I'd love to hear about it since that is the only toss-up I currently have.

You DP raters can help a lot in this department ;)

Team:

Weezing: Stealth Rock (Physical Wall / Ground Immunity / Fighting Resist)

Weezing (M) @ Leftovers ** Stealth Rock
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Flamethrower
    - Thunderbolt
    - Will-O-Wisp

The first part of my physical walling duo pretty much laughs at fighters especially and also makes Choice band Earthquake seem foolish. Weezing can WoW a lot of crap that bugs it and Thunderbolt and Flamethrower will deal with what it needs to counter.

Once I establish Weezing as the physical wall of my team, the opponent will of course adjust and lay off on the fighting and ground moves. That's when the second half of my physical walling duo comes into play. Rest will heal Weezing more reliably than Pain Spilt and has Cleric support to work with.

I understand the rest, but pain split helps to wear down opponents, specially annoys the ones with huge hp. You could throw in some Haze in there in case you need some help with suicune and sweepers.

Steelix: Skarm (Physical Wall / Normal Resist / Rock Resist / PHazer)

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers ** Skarm
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 216 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Toxic
    - Rest
    - Roar

Steelix! with Weezing this will resist every physical attack type in the game. Steelix has a double rock resist to work with and Weezing to back it up so those physical weaknesses are no problem. Magneton can't even OHKO me with HP Fire and dies to Earthquake. Game over.

Steelix also PHazes BPers and stat-uppers in general and provides all the resists in the world. Also a normal resist, Steelix is the best BL in ADV IMO. Rest so I can heal and toxic and Earthquake to deal damage. However I need some support to get rid of the nasty sleep rest brings. This is where the next pokemon comes in.

Nise, dunno what 4 evs in def do though.

Celebi: 'Bi 'Bi Gun (Heal Beller)

Celebi @ Leftovers ** 'Bi 'Bi Gun
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Heal Bell
    - Leech Seed
    - Psychic
    - Recover

Celebi is, as other people have said before, like crack. Once you use it you just can never make yourself not use it. Seriously though Leech Seed seriously annoys Blissey and Snorlax who get any ideas about try to outstall me (which will not happen as my entire team carries Rest) and disable walls in general. This is critical to my team's success as it allows them to heal free of the burden Rest causes. However I must be careful about Dugtrio as Celebi's absence will hurt a lot.

Celebi has a bunch of fun resistances to play with (and it better with those 7 weaks) and also has fun with Psychic for ruining Gengar. Recover is for obvious stalling purposes and really to annoy the hell out of whatever I want.

Snorlax: Bliss (Special Wall / Tank)

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers ** Bliss
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 160 HP / 56 Atk / 136 Def / 156 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Curse
    - Earthquake
    - Rest
    - Body Slam

Snorlax is a monster. Game over. Obviously this is my special wall and also crushes whatever I want it to crush. It counters the wide variety of special threats I hate and Curses up in front of their faces. Thick Fat is helpful as it stones Moltres and Entei (lol) as well as Houndoom and covers a few of Celebi's weaknesses. Snorlax is also immune to Shadow Ball. Earthquake deals with Gross/Tar switch-ins and pretty much murders them, especially Tar.

It also does well at stalling out and setting up on Bulky Waters. Snorlax is also my last hope pokemon, where I make sure it doesn't die when I know stalling is hopeless and I can make a comeback and cannot be PHazed.

Imo shadowball is more useful since other dudes can take tyranitar and friends.

Swampert: Game Over (Bulky Water / Rock Resist)

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers ** Game Over
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SAtk
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Earthquake
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Rest

Obvious killer of Steel walls...Swampert! Bulky Grounds also fall and laughing at Mence, Gross, and bulky grounds is just too much fun. My best defense against Mence and creams HP Ice Raikou and Jirachi (though Steelix and Snorlax kill raikou anyways).

Rest is for healing and Celebi supports it well. Swampert is also a more relibale rock resist than Steelix in the sense that almost everything that carries a rock move will also carry EQ to kill stuff just like Steelix. God I hate Quakeslide.

Gyarados: DeeDeeGya (Physical Sweeper / Anti-Stall / Ground Immunity)

Gyarados @ Leftovers ** DeeDeeGya
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 212 HP / 16 Atk / 180 Def / 100 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Satk)
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Taunt
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance

Gyarados was a total filler that was basically to beat two pokemon I have trouble against, Suicune and Celebi. while it isn't perfect is sure can set up quickly and packs a deadly punch. Taunt is to shut down attempts of setting up, Baton Passing, etc. and of course PHazing moves.

honestly something better can probably replace it but meh, I really like gyarados.

Gyarados is lovely messes with stuff and sweeps too!

Strategy:

The Strategy of this team is quite simple. I wall what I can and find out what my opponent's arsenal of attacks and pokemon is. I then make a plan from there accordingly. A few things I always do:

- See who the Gyarados counter is. This lets me make that pokemon enemy #1 so my team can stall it out, wear it down, and let Gyarados finish it.
    - Scout for Dugtrio. Without cleric support I'm scarewed, so when I bring Celebi in I'll either attack right away (as HP Bug from Duggy is not a OHKO) or switch out to Swampert or Gyarados right away.
    - Identifiy and plot the destruction of the op[ponent's Bulky Water. This lets me take out a huge part of the foe's physical defense and lets me have a better chance of dominating with Gyarados or even Lax.
    - On electrics, find out if they are running hidden Power Grass or Ice. Swampert's life depends on this so I generally throw it in right away and then switch out at once to Celebi to scout for the HP type.
    - Kill the oppionent's steel wall. This pretty much makes blocking Curselax impossible if they don't have Donphan or Suicune. Most steels don't mind Earthquake but for those that do I will be ready to attack.

After I feel pretty safe and know the opponents team, it's just a game of wear and tear. since prediction is my strong suit I can hammer Celebi coming in on Swampert with Ice Beam and bring in Gyarados while it recovers or attacks. I basically wear everything down and then bring in Gyarados to just sweep the foe's whole team.

The early game is very challenging as I don't know what's coming, but if I can survive that, this team is tough to stop.

Problems:

My biggest problem is with that last slot. While the team revolves around making Gyarados fit to sweep, Curselax can do that probably better (just without speed) so a physical sweeper isn't necessary at all. I'm considering a lot of options (especially Vapreon and Mantine) to fill in for it so I'm open to help with that.

Threat List:

Tyranitar: Swampert / Steelix / Weezing

Swampert is the ebst TTar counter in ADV and Steelix also takes Rock Slide like a Champ. Weezing is only hurt by rock Slide which the other two wall. Steelix can roar away DDs and Weezing can WoW any TTar without Taunt.

Zapdos: Snorlax

Yeah gg Zapdos. Seriously, Zapdos gets walled really bad by Lax and it can Curse up if it so pleases. Swampert also annoys those without HP Grass by gets PP stalled anyways.

Metagross: Steelix / Weezing / Swampert / Gyarados

Steelix only falls to Earthquake which weezing sucks up like a champ. The great thing about Steelix is that even a Choice Band Explosion will not KO it and Steelix can Roar away Agility. Swampert is more reliable than playing the guessing game on which pokemon (Steelix or weezing) to switch in and sucks up Meteor Mash. Gyarados also kind of laughs at Metagross.

Raikou: Steelix / Snorlax

Raikou is surprisingly walled by Steelix unless it has some crazy Hidden Power. Snorlax will also do the same, but Steelix is prefered due to electric immunity. However if I don't want Steelix to lose all its PP for Eathquake snorlax can Body Slam the pest.

Regice: Snorlax

Snorlax can take anything Regice throws at it, including Focus Punch (go go go McIceReg!) thanks to Thick Fat and awesome special defense. Snorlax can Curse up even on Psych Up Regice easily and will crush it. Swampert can also deliver a strong Earthquake but it doesn't do much and doesn't like STAB Ice Beam.

Suicune: Gyarados

Gyarados is my only good line of defense against Suicune. It will Taunt its Calm Mind, rest, and Roar attempts and will set up on Suicune all day long. Celebi can also Leech Seed Suicune to zap its health quicker.

Snorlax: Celebi / Gyarados

Celebi Leech Seeds this thing to hell. Cursing attempts are Roared away by Steelix and Weezaing always has the option of shutting it down with WoW and forcing it to Rest, which will allow Steelix to come in roisk-free and get rid of Lax. Gyarados sets up on this thing with moderate success but has to watch for Para Hax from Body Slam.

Skarmory: Weezing / Swampert

Weezing has Thunderbolt and Flamethrower to hurt Skarmory pretty bad. Swampert will also 2HKO it with Hydro Pump. Gyarados can Taunt it and shut it down temporarily but cannot defeat Skarm.

Donphan: Celebi / Swampert

Donphan can't really hurt Celebi and takes a load from Psychic. Leech Seed and recover help me stall it out pretty well. Swampert doesn't like wearthquake, but can take it and OHKO Donphan with Hydro Pump. any sey without rock Slide will be a set-up fodder for Gyarados.

Salamence: Swampert / Steelix / Weezing / Snorlax / Gyarados

CBmence will be worn down by Steelix to take HP Flying and Weezing to abosrb Brick Break or Eathquake. Swampert is pretty reliable in countering any Salamence without HP Grass as well. Mixed Salamence can't really hurt Swampert if it lacks HP Grass and those with HP Grass are walled hard by Celebi. Elemence is just shattered by Snorlax. Gyara is also quite bulky and can srug off a few hits with Intimidate helping it out and can Dragon Dance on it as long as it isn't rock Sliding me.

Medicham: Weezing / Gyarados

Weezing is THE Medicham counter and isn't really hit by anything it has. Weezing can fire back with WoW or just attack it head-on. If Shadow Ball is a little too much to handle, Steelix can always take it from Choice Band variants (basically all Medicham). Gyarados also resists its STAB and is quite useful for that.

Weezing: Celebi

Even Sludge bomb and Flamethrower don't really hurt and I can recover off damage and kill it with Psychic.

Jirachi: Snorlax / Steelix / Swampert

Jirachi sets that use Psychic and thunder/Thunderbolt get walled hard by Steelix and Swampert is a reliable counter to all Jir sets unless it's running something crazy like HP Grass. Snorlax can also break its subs with Earthquake and walls it very easily. Steelix can screw up Wish with Roar as well.

Claydol: Swampert / Gyarados

Claydol cannot hurt Swampert and swampert will hurt Claydol with Hydro Pump and Ice Beam. If I fear Explosion, I always have Steelix to take the blow. Gyarados also laughs at Clydol and sets up.

Swampert: Celebi / Gyarados

Celebi laughs at Ice Beam and walls Swampert very well. Leech Seed will annoy it even more. gyarados also sets up on Swampert without Rock Slide pretty easily.

Vaporeon: Snorlax / Gyarados

Snorlax can easily switch in and set up in Vappy's face. It can body slam subs it might want to pass as well. Gyarados can shut Vappy down with Taunt and sets up on it.

Milotic: Snorlax

While tougher to beat than Vaporeon, Milotic is still defeated by Snorlax handily. Lax can Rest off Toxic and other status. If Milotic has Hypnosis, it could cause Lax a few problems so I'd need something else to absorb that status. Celebi also takes those without Ice Beam pretty well as it can Leech Seed Milotic and stall it out. Natural Cure helps with status moves. Without Ice Beam or toxic, Gyara can cause soem problems.

Heracross: Weezing / Gyarados

Heracross cannot touch Weezing at all. Weezing can fire back with Flamethrower. Gyara also resists both of Hera's STAB moves and will OHKO with HP Flying.

Forretress: Weezing / Gyarados

Forretress just gets torched by Flamethrower. Nothing it has besides a well-timed explosion even comes close to hurting Weezing. Gyarados can Taunt Forry and will DD up and dispatch of Forretress.

Blissey: Snorlax / Gyarados

Blissey is easily stalled by Snorlax while it Curses up on Blissey. Gyarados is an epic pain of course.

Dugtrio: Weezing

You can't really counter Dugtrio because of Arena Trap, but weezing is certainly useful in coming in after a kill and make that Choice Band Earthquake backfire. Other things can take on Dugtrio, but nothing quite like Weezing can. Swampert will also scare it off. Dugtrio doesn't really threaten this team at all besides Celebi.

Magneton: Snorlax

Even Metal Sound variants just get crushed by Earthquake. Even though Steelix gets trapped by Maggy, it isn't OHKOed and can kill it with Earthquake so I don't really fear it.

Marowak: Weezing / Celebi

Weezing being immune to its best move certainly helps and Celebi also has some really handy resists. Weezing's WoW totally disables Marowak as well.

Celebi: Gyarados

Gyara is my only hope against Celebi which is a bit risky. Hidden Power flying will blow right over Celebi and Dragon Dance prevents Recover from stalling me out. Of course there's also taunt to stop it from performing its basic tasks.

Dusclops: Gyarados / Steelix

Gyarados can Taunt Clops and make it attack gyarados head-on. Switch into WoW can be tough, but Celebi can clear up any mistakes there. Speaking of Celebi, it doesn't like shadow Ball but can Leech Seed Clops and derive it of its already-low HP. Steelix cannoy really be hurt be Clops and can lay the deadly Toxic on Dusclops.

Aerodactyl: Swampert

Aero's STAB moves are soaked up by Steelix, but it can't really fight back. Still, Toxic will give it something to think about. My real counter is Swampert since it resists one of its STABs and can easily kill it with Ice Beam or Hydro Pump. Weezing is handy for taking Earthquake if I seer that coming.

Gengar: Swampert / Celebi

Gengar without Giga Drain cannot really stand up to Swampert, and Giga Drain Gengar will not like Celebi all too much and Celebi can OHKO with STAB Psychic.

Jolteon: Snorlax / Steelix

Steelix cannot really be hurt by Jolteon unless it carries HP Fire or Water and can OHKO with Earthquake. The real greatness with Steelix is its Ability to Roar away Baton Pass Jolteons (almost all of them) with ease. Snorlax can also hurt it but will have trouble stopping Subpassing attempts.

Gyarados: Weezing

Gyarados can't really hurt Weezing unless it's carrying a special attack and is massacred by Thunderbolt.

Sceptile: Celebi / Gyarados

Celebi absorbs Leech Seed and doesn't evne mind HP Fire or Ice and launches back STAB Psychic, which will really sting. Gyarados can smash it with Hidden Power Flying as well, but that can be tricky to pull off. with Dragon Dance and Taunt though, Sceptile will have its own troubles.

Ludicolo: Celebi / Gyarados

Ludi is tougher, but Celebi beats the annoyer/staller sets easily and will wear it down after a few Psychics. Any set without Leech Seed is devastated by Snorlax. Gyarados Taunts Ludi to no end and mashes it with HP Flying.

Dragonite: Weezing / Swampert

Dragonite can't really hurt Swampert or Weezing and will die to Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, respectively (thought the latter will take a few hits to really wear on Dnite). Weezing can WoW Dragonite as well and will shut it down.

Flygon: Weezing / Steelix / Swampert

Flygon's STAB attack is absorbed like candy by Weezing and Flygon gets a nasty WoW in its face. Steelix can also annoy it if it's locked onto a move resisted by Steelix. Swampert takes any Flygon without Giga Drain as well.

Slaking: Steelix / Weezing

Slaking is a toughie. I have to outpredict to beat it. Weezing will take Focus Punch and Earthquake with ease and can WoW back while Steelix gobbles up its STAB move and also laughs at Shadow Ball.

Umbreon: Gyarados / Steelix

Gyarados can taunt Umbreon and shut it down, but must watch out for status on the switch. Steelix can use Toxic and disable Umbreon the whole game while Steelix is immune to Toxic from Umbreon.

Starmie: Snorlax

Standard special wall beats standard special sweeper.

Breloom: Weezing / Gyarados

Breloom can only put Weezing to sleep. Otherwise it cannot hurt it at all and falls to Flamethrower. Swampert can also Ice Beam Breloom, but Weezing's Focus Punch resistance is just godly. Gyarados works in the same way but has Taunt and a more deadly attack to kill it with.

Alakazam: Snorlax

See Starmie. Trickbanding also doesn't hurt it too much since snorlax will then be given mammoth attack to work with and can launch high-powered STAB Body Slams.

Kingdra: Snorlax

Kingdra will dent it pretty well in the rain but will still fall to Snorlax, especially Body Slam. Cleebi can switch into water move and stall Rain Dance turns out as well with a little prediction and will let Snorlax handle it even better.

Machamp: Weezing

Pretty much like Breloom. Steelix can absorb all but Machamp's killer STAB attacks as well.

Tauros: Steelix / Weezing

Steelix is handy as the normal resist for dealing with Tauros. The only thing that hurts it is Earthquake, which I have Weezing for if I fear it that much and will of course fall to WoW.

Ninjask: Steelix

Obvious Roaring duties are fulfilled here.

One of the best teams I've seen in a while, pretty much everything is covered but I see you having problems when celebi dies, since you depend on rest/heal bell a little too much. Gyarados is fine really, but if you're too scared use vaporeon as it walls other stuff as well. I still see zapdos causing problems with hp grass and combined with breloom/dugtrio it can ruin the fun.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • 4 Def EVs is because I'm a numbers freak and 480 is a much nicer-looking number than 479 lol

Yeah, Magtrio has been giving me a hard time since together they will take out Steelix and Celebi gets massacred, so it gets kinda shaky when I run into Duggy. I usually like to just wall with Weezing, Swampert, and Snorlax if Dugtrio shows up uninvited and try to predict its switches and kill it before it claims any victims. At least I don't have to worry about Maggy for a change.

Also it means a lot coming from you lol

But I was actually wondering about Snorlax since Jir/Gross/Tar don't really trouble me much and Gengar is a bit of a pest as well as Celebi, so yeah I think I'm going to run Shadow Ball.

Alright, thanks ;)

Back