• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Team help

Luap25

yeah.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2011
    I know I made a similar thread asking what my 2nd pokemon I catch should be, but you were all so much help then, so I thought I would ask you my newest question: I need help with my team in gold. Right now, I'm in the rocket base @ Mahogany town with 3 pokemon:
    -Quilava, lv. 28, knows cut, rock smash, smokescreen, and ember
    -Quagsire, lv. 28, knows surf, strength, mud slap, and slam
    -Crobat, lv. 32, knows fly, confuse ray, bite, and wing attack
    I may catch Raikou, because I already encountered him earlier.
    I don't know what else to catch. If you could give me a suggestion and a reason why (like your team is weak against [insert type here]). Thanks.

Luap25

yeah.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2011
    You could go to Goldenrod and get an Eevee from Bill.

Or you could get a Slowpoke, either one is good.

And train your Quilava. XD

I guess I'll get an eevee then, thanks. I'm thinking of evolving it into espeon or umbreon, what do you think would be best in regards to my team?

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    I guess I'll get an eevee then, thanks. I'm thinking of evolving it into espeon or umbreon, what do you think would be best in regards to my team?

I think umbreon because it is quite a defensive type but if you raise it in the right way you could make it an tank.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I suggest get an Eeevee then evolve it later into jolteon, or umbreon, or espeon. Steelix is also a good choice to have on your team. Dratini is a rele good pokemon to be on your team because it can knock the elite 4 later. Umm I guess alakazam, arcanine, gengar, lanturn, and hypno are good bets too. Hope I helped okay! =D

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Level up Quilava and teach it Flame Wheel at 31; then, proceed to evolve it at 36. Get rid of Cut/Rock Smash if you can. Earthquake, Solarbeam, and Flamethrower are better moves. Either way, you'll really want Ground/Fighting/Steel to resist Rocket's Poison types and Fire for the Ice Gym.

As for Eevee, Umbreon is not very good in game. It's defensive, but your team needs more power. Evolve it into Espeon or Jolteon.

As far as I can tell, your team has no glaring Weakness. Quilava covers Quagsire's hatred for grass, Quagsire blocks Rock from decimating your team, etc. You just need more pokemon..

Hmm, you can get a Scyther/Scizor, Lanturn/Ampharos (if not Jolteon), and snag the shiny Gyarados (as Quarsire isn't very good). I can't really remember what you find early in the game. xD

Years
    Ya I would definitely replace Quagsire. It's ok but there are much better water types out there. Like the guy above mentioned, since you're in Mahogany town, you could go north and catch the Gyarados. Or fish around and find a Shellder so you can get Cloyster eventually.

An electric type is a must. I would suggest evolving the Eevee into Jolteon since good electric types are few and far between in Johto. Only problem is, you'd have to breed your Jolteon to get another Eevee, because Jolteon learns thundershock at level 16, and the Eevee is already level 20 when you get it.

If you don't want to do that, you can catch a Mareep and evolve it into Ampharos. It's pretty decent. It's slow though, and a slow electric type is no good imo. But it learns pretty good moves.

So look for an electric type, a better water type, probably a ground type (like Geodude, or even a Nidoran which can evolve into Nidoking or Nidoqueen), and a psychic type is always nice (maybe evolve your Eevee into Espeon for that).

Back