• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team help

ColdMiner

Magister insanus
    Years
    Team help

[Shady, @ Mystic Water (Relaxed)] 62
    Moveset:
    Crabhammer
    Swords Dance
    Crunch
    Surf ---> Brick Break
    *Physical attacker / sweeper

Team help

[Depot, @ Lucky Egg (Timid)] 58
    Moveset:
    Thunder Wave
    Thunder Bolt
    Blizzard
    Will-O-Wisp
    * Status user / special attacker

Team help

[Kamex, @ Leftovers (Modest)] 64
    Psychic ---> Zen Headbutt
    Meteor Mash
    Hammer Arm
    Earthquake
    *Physical attacker / type coverage

Team help

[Nimbus, @ Sharp Beak (Relaxed)] 63
    Cotton Guard
    Fly
    Dragon Dance
    Earthquake
    *Bulk, DDance & physical

Team help

[Lance, @ Exp Share (Lonely)] 50
    Take Down ---> Megahorn
    Close Combat
    Earthquake
    Night Slash
    *Unknown role

Team help

[NightLight, @ Exp Share (Impish)] 29
    Will-O-Wisp ---> Flamethrower
    Flame Burst ---> Shadow Ball
    Imprison ---> Psychic
    Hex ---> Energy Ball
    *Special attacker / type coverage

So I have a team of six ready to start training, I still need some help on what to change Rotom-Frost's thunder wave to, and what nature would be best for a Chandelure. Ideas for a post-game training location would be wonderful.

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Crawdaunt is meant to be a physical sweeper, so you shouldn't give it Surf. Instead you should give it something like Brick Break. If you really want Surf, you should go with Samurott instead.

If you want Metagross to be a physical sweeper, you should give it Zen Headbutt instead of Psychic.

I highly recommend that you remove Take Down from your Heracross. Take Down isn't very strong, it causes recoil damage, and it's a Normal type move. In other words, it's terrible. You should give it Megahorn instead. Also, you could replace either Earthquake or Night Slash with Stone Edge or Rock Slide.

As for your sixth Pokemon, I recommend Chandelure, because it's very strong and it gets great coverage with Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, and Psychic.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Will-O-Wisp, Flame Burst, and Hex look good together, but Imprison isn't really good outside of Pokestar Studios movies in which you have to lose, or survive all turns without defeating your opponent.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I still need some help on what to change Rotom-Frost's thunder wave to, and what nature would be best for a Chandelure. Ideas for a post-game training location would be wonderful.
    Thunder Wave is probably okay. It's not the best of moves, but Rotom-F just doesn't have a whole lot of other options. You've already got the most important moves there. You might use Toxic instead, for instance, for a different sort of evil status, but the odds are that you're not going to get a lot of use out of whatever's in that fourth slot anyway.

The best nature for Chandelure is Modest, by a good margin, since it increases Special Attack and decreases Attack, and Chandelure doesn't use any physical attacks anyway, so won't miss the points. And by the bye, Modest is a terrible nature for Metagross, since decreasing Attack is the one thing that Metagross does NOT want to do. Adamant would be much better (the opposite of Modest - Adamant increases Attack and decreases Special Attack.

For post-game training, Black Tower or White Treehollow is about the best. If you don't want to get roped into completing an entire area there just to get back out again, Audino hunting is always an option too - I find the grass right outside the gate east of Striaton City to be a good location - it's convenient to the Pokemon Center in Striaton for quick healing and it's pretty much nothing but Audinos in the shaking grass, with only the occasional Yanmega, and the Audinos are about as high as their levels get on the routes - all in the mid-50s.

Alright, and for an in-game team is it really worth it to run a set based on status moves and setting up? Besides important battles like the E4 maybe..?
    Did you maybe see the post I wrote on that on another thread? Because that's pretty much exactly what I said - no - as a general rule, it's not worth it in-game, except with the E4 (and things like the PWT and the Subway). Well... actually, status moves are generally worth it in-game, since the AI is dumb and will often just leave stuff in under status, so things like Leech Seed or Toxic or Burn will just whittle them down until they faint. But setup moves generally aren't worth it. The whole point of setting up a sweeper competitively is to get it to the point that it can faint pretty much anything it faces, even with non-STAB and/or neutral attacks, and that's so that you don't have to switch, since switching competitively is always risky and, if the opponent predicts correctly, can lose you the match. But in-game, switching is pretty much risk-free, since, again, the AI is dumb. There's nothing to be gained from trying to set up a pokemon so that it can hopefully beat something against which it's at a type disadvantage when it's so easy to just switch in something that has a type advantage and let it handle it.

I cringe every time I see someone in a Lets Play do something like leave a Heracross in against a Flying type and try to get off an unSTABbed Stone Edge only to have it miss or have the Heracross outsped and it ends up getting fainted by a 4X effective Flying attack. I would've switched in a Rock or an Electric that would've taken pitiful damage from that Flying attack and KO'ed in return with an SE attack, and my Heracross would be sitting in its ball, fully healthy and ready to go the next time I need it.

Competitive styled in-game matches though, like the E4 and PWT and such, are a bit different. I still don't think there's a whole lot of advantage to be gained from setting up, but it is at least more useful than in the rest of the game - particularly in the Subway or the PWT, where you only have a limited number of pokemon available, so you need to make the most of each of them.

Back