• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Platinum!!!

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    Once done eliminate Stramie you don't think that your team becomes too much weak to ScarfTran?

xcthulhux

CthulhuChaos.webs.com
    Years
    one thing i noticed is your lack of walls.
    adding blissey would be a very good asset to this team, because you could switch it in on some of the more common threats to this team like other gengars, alakazams, and lucario's, and it could also be a good stealth rock support.
    not to mention that it can learn aromatherapy to get rid of status affects.

this team doesn't have a HUGE problem with dealing with stealth rock, but because you have staraptor, you might want something with rapid spin to back it up.
    my favorite spinners are donphan, forretress, and tentacruel.
    the addition of tentacruel in place of starmie, would give you a spinner, and something to stand up to stand up to scarftran, (duh, starmie can learn rapid spin) and set up toxic spikes.

your current scizor set somewhat worries me in the fact that it would get ripped apart by almost any trap passer.
    replacing x-scissor with u-turn could help a lot with that
    superpower really isn't the best move for a life orb scizor, because it makes it more fragile.
    the best set for scizor IMO is a CB priority abusing scizor.
    CB scizor w/ bullet punch is one of the biggest threats in the OU metagame due to technician.

hope i helped out a bit.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    one thing i noticed is your lack of walls.
    I know, that worries me too

(duh, starmie can learn rapid spin) and set up toxic spikes.
    I answer with this:

You know that Starmie is begging for Life Orb and probably max speed too. Bulky Starmie hasn't been good since the rise of offensive DD Gyarados and Yache/CB Garchomp. You might as well run the Life Orb EVs and item since the set works best with that really. Bulky Starmie can't counter Gyarados anyways so you might as well put the opponent on their heals and whatnot.
    your current scizor set somewhat worries me in the fact that it would get ripped apart by almost any trap passer.
    replacing x-scissor with u-turn could help a lot with that
    superpower really isn't the best move for a life orb scizor, because it makes it more fragile.
    the best set for scizor IMO is a CB priority abusing scizor.
    CB scizor w/ bullet punch is one of the biggest threats in the OU metagame due to technician.
    i'll change that, looks good to me too, though U-Turn doesn't seem that strong of a STAB though, same with Bullet Punch :/

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    After asking related- questions and with help from Platinum i think i finally got my team fro Wifi Platinum metagame!

Advice and concerns are welcome,kthx

Team Platinum!!!

Infernape@ Life Orb
    Naiive Nature
    24Att/252SpAtt/232Spd

Flamethrower
    Grass Knot
    Nasty Plot
    Close Combat

Pretty much the Mixed Sweeper of the whole team. Able to take on those Bulky Water types, the heavier the are,the harder they fall, lol espically with Life Orb and Nasty Plot. Close Combat is pretty much for everything in between, and Flamethrower, you know where thats going.

Poor lead. Bulky leads won't care about the damage, except T-Tar who'll switch out, and glass cannon/suicide leads will set up then KO on their first attack.

Use the Anti-lead sets for Ambipom, Weavile, or Infernape instead.

Team Platinum!!!

Staraptor@Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    252Att/252Spd/6HP

Brave Bird
    Close Combat
    U-Turn
    Double-Edge

Choice-Bander,Physical Sweeper and maybe

They do say that Staraptor is a great Choice Bander, especially with 2 powerful STABs along with Choice Band. Same as with Infernape, Close Combat is for everything else and U-Turn is mainly a "utility", letting Staraptor get a attack in before pulling out.

Three moves that affect the bad bird negatively (HP loss from Double Edge and BB, lower defense from close combat) isn't very wise for a SR weak Poke. Return over Double Edge, and Jolly nature for the additional speed.

Pursuit is available, but I don't see Staraptor forcing many switches, so it won't be nearly as useful as it should be.

Team Platinum!!!

Lucario@Choice Specs
    Modest Nature
    252SpAtt/252Spd/6HP

Aura Sphere
    Dark Pulse
    Dragon Pulse
    Vaccum Wave

The Special Sweeper of the team, able to take on a whole bunch of different threats, tried this set-up in Shoddy and it really worked against both a Gengar and Dusknoir.

This is fine, though I'd recommend Timid for a boost in speed. Also, don't switch with Staraptor if it U-Turns out.

Team Platinum!!!

Scizor@Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    6HP/252Atk/252Spd

U-Turn
    Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    U-Turn

You can't have the same move on a Pokemon twice, and set up on a Choice user is useless outside of Trick. Re-think this.

Team Platinum!!!

Vaporean@Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    188 HP / 252 Def / 68 SpA

Surf
    Wish
    Toxic
    Protect

Toxic won't be nearly as useful as you want it to be, and this set is shut down by Taunt. Unlikely later in the game, but possible.

Ditch Toxic or Protect for a HP. HP Electric seems to be the cool thing to use for Gyarados, but HP Grass can be used for Swampert, or HP Dragon for Kingdra. Ice Beam is also an option if you want to lose both Toxic AND Protect.

Team Platinum!!!

Gengar@Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    4 HP/252SpAtt/252Spd

Will-o-Wisp
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Thunderbolt

This Gengar is trying to be everywhere at once. If you want an attacking set, let it attack. If you want it to status, let it status.

Want it to attack? Ditch WOW for an appropriate HP, or Explosion. Status calls for Wide Lens, Hypnosis, and Subsitute. The strategy is to come in on an immunity, force a switch, set up Subsitute, and fire away at a status. Without a chance to sub-up, Gengar doesn't stand a chance at setting up WOW and surviving.

I replaced Hypnosis with Will-o-Wisp to help cripple

Your team only has ONE Pokemon with any type of defense investment. Therefore, Stealth Rock hurts a lot, even if the glass cannon in question resists it. And because FOUR of your Pokemon are relatively fragile, it'll be very hard to counter correctly.

To specific problems: An abundunce of (sometimes poorly used) Choice Items limits this teams viability. And if you U-Turn out to a Chocie user, it ALSO has to use U-Turn or it'll be forced to Struggle.

There isn't a reliable status absorber. Sure, your Steels can absorb Toxic, and Ape WOW...but if you mispredict and Ape comes in on an attack, it's screwed.

Blissey will help this team greatly. She can force switches on special attackers, absorb status, and take lighter physical hits. The standard Cleric Bliss will work just fine, and I recommend Flamethrower over the other elemental attacks because of Scizor.

Any number of defensive oriented Starmie sets can also work wonders. Team support with ability and Reflect/Light Screen and Rapid Spin, base 100 special attack means it can hit hard without maxing it out, and a good move pool. I don't think it's a WALL like Blissey or Skarmory due to it's many weaknesses, but it can force switches and provide team support, something that yours greatly needs.

As to your answer about Starmie from earlier:
    You know that Starmie is begging for Life Orb and probably max speed too. Bulky Starmie hasn't been good since the rise of offensive DD Gyarados and Yache/CB Garchomp. You might as well run the Life Orb EVs and item since the set works best with that really. Bulky Starmie can't counter Gyarados anyways so you might as well put the opponent on their heals and whatnot.
    Chomp shouldn't be considered in the OU metagame since it's uber, and Starmie has no business being a dragon counter anyway..

And Starmie can come in on three of Gyarados moves with little/no damage (DD, Ice Fang, Waterfall) and survive the fourth (Earthquake/Stone Edge).

Will it always force a switch or KO? It's situational. Some might say "Starmie will get destroyed if it has a DD or two up", but the same can be said about almost ANY Pokemon who sets up a DD/SD/NP/Calm Mind twice. Really, defensive Starmie isn't about how many Pokemon it can take down, but how it can help your team, and with something as fragile as yours is, it'll help a great deal.

EDIT: I apologize to the OP, since I realized that the quote about Starmie isn't coming from him.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    As to your answer about Starmie from earlier:
    Chomp shouldn't be considered in the OU metagame since it's uber, and Starmie has no business being a dragon counter anyway..

I know, I was saying that one Garchomp started carrying Yacvhe Berry, Starmie could no longer switch into it successfully, and that realluy began to mark the decline of the set.

And Starmie can come in on three of Gyarados moves with little/no damage (DD, Ice Fang, Waterfall) and survive the fourth (Earthquake/Stone Edge).

A +1 DD LO Stone Edge or Earthquake rips through Starmie like tissue paper, especially with SR down. At full health, Starmie beats it, even taking SR, but Starmie isn't always going to be at full health and hoping that it will be is a terrible way to stop the second best Dragon Dancer in standard play.

Will it always force a switch or KO? It's situational. Some might say "Starmie will get destroyed if it has a DD or two up", but the same can be said about almost ANY Pokemon who sets up a DD/SD/NP/Calm Mind twice. Really, defensive Starmie isn't about how many Pokemon it can take down, but how it can help your team, and with something as fragile as yours is, it'll help a great deal.

It really is though. The whole point of a defensive pokemon is to stop sweepers from ripping your team apart. If it can't do that, what is it good for? Everything Starmie used to counter easily runs it over now, or in Garchomp's case, could run it over and then was banned.

EDIT: I apologize to the OP, since I realized that the quote about Starmie isn't coming from him.

Defensive Starmie doesn't work anymore. It's basically only useful to Rapid Spin and counter MixApe, the latter being accomplished by LO Starmie as well. Honestly, the set with Reflect is much better than the standard Spinner though. It's not Obistall anymore - things hit HARD. Defensive Starmie can't actually stop much at all.

Also, Return >>> Double-Edge on Staraptor because the recoil sucks and Brave Bird handles most of what Double-Edge would anyways, bar electrics which Return still hammers.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Poor lead. Bulky leads won't care about the damage, except T-Tar who'll switch out, and glass cannon/suicide leads will set up then KO on their first attack.

Use the Anti-lead sets for Ambipom, Weavile, or Infernape instead.

*sigh* Yea i know that, its already been stated a number of times already

You can't have the same move on a Pokemon twice

i'll fix that

HP. HP Electric seems to be the cool thing to use for Gyarados, but HP Grass can be used for Swampert, or HP Dragon for Kingdra.

HP never worked for me

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    *sigh* Yea i know that, its already been stated a number of times already

Understood. However, I didn't see an edit for it, and I tend to only rate what's in the first post, not what may or may not be edited into it based on responses. Nothing wrong with some re-enforcement though, right?

i'll fix that

If you decide to keep it Banded, U-Turn is good to switch on. It can also absorb an Ice Beam aimed for sTaraptor.

HP never worked for me

As a Wi-Fi exclusive player, I completely understand. It is a PAIN to breed for specific IVs to get a halfway decent HP typing AND with good power AND with a good nature. Unfortunately, Vaporeon's moves are otherwise kind of limited. Outside of HP, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam/Blizzard, and Icy Wind are your only other options for Vaporeon, as far as offense goes.

Replies in bolded quote.

Saw your edit to Scizor. If you're going to keep the Band on, ditch Swords Dance for Pursuit.

xcthulhux

CthulhuChaos.webs.com
    Years
    i'll change that, looks good to me too, though U-Turn doesn't seem that strong of a STAB though, same with Bullet Punch :/
    think about them this way.
    u-turn is basically a way to trick people.
    bring the scizor out on a slow wall (like blissey) use u-turn, and then bring out something like a swampert or in your case starmie, to let it use flamethrower on.
    people never see it coming.
    bullet punch is an amazing stab for CB scizor because it for 1 is priority, and for 2, scizor has technician.
    with bp's base (40)+stab(20)=60+technician(30), that would equal a 90 base power attack with priority.
    now think about that, and add scizor's massive attack PLUS the choice band, and you have got a move that does up to 297 damage to standard tyranitar, WITH PRIORITY.
    i think that is an amazing move right there.

i still say to teach the starmie rapid spin. you need a good spinner to back up your starpator, because most teams DO use SR support nowadays.

you don't have to listen to me lol
    just trying to help!

NINJA EDIT: I agree with the others that NPmixape will not lead well.
    because you are using the standard priority abusing scizor set (please change SD to pursuit) you might want to lead with that instead, and for godsakes, shove a focus sash on that infernape LOL
    CB scizor leads very well, especially with all the aerodactyl leads, it OHKO's leftovers aero with B-Punch, and 2hko's with focus sash, and then if you have a chance, you can bring in your starmie and rapid spin.
    just a thought.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Unfortunately, Vaporeon's moves are otherwise kind of limited. Outside of HP, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam/Blizzard, and Icy Wind are your only other options for Vaporeon, as far as offense goes.
    lol, i know i know alright i'll switch back to Starmie

with bp's base (40)+stab(20)=60+technician(30), that would equal a 90 base power attack with priority.
    now think about that, and add scizor's massive attack PLUS the choice band, and you have got a move that does up to 297 damage to standard tyranitar, WITH PRIORITY.
    Damn! thats strong
    I agree with the others that NPmixape will not lead well.
    because you are using the standard priority abusing scizor set (please change SD to pursuit) you might want to lead with that instead, and for godsakes, shove a focus sash on that infernape LOL
    I know i know, the set on Infernape won't work well, i don't intend on using him as lead,

uh..........no Life Orb is fine on Infernape

CB scizor leads very well, especially with all the aerodactyl leads, it OHKO's leftovers aero with B-Punch, and 2hko's with focus sash, and then if you have a chance, you can bring in your starmie and rapid spin.
    just a thought.
    Okay, then i'll try CB Scizor

Alright randomspot, since you recommended Starmie, you gotta set for me?

EDIT:

Saw your edit to Scizor. If you're going to keep the Band on, ditch Swords Dance for Pursuit.

I answer with this:
    think about them this way.
    u-turn is basically a way to trick people.
    bring the scizor out on a slow wall (like blissey) use u-turn, and then bring out something like a swampert or in your case starmie, to let it use flamethrower on.
    people never see it coming.
    bullet punch is an amazing stab for CB scizor because it for 1 is priority, and for 2, scizor has technician.

Last edited:
    Years
    After asking related- questions and with help from Platinum i think i finally got my team fro Wifi Platinum metagame!

Advice and concerns are welcome,kthx

Infernape@ Life Orb
    Naiive Nature
    24Att/252SpAtt/232Spd

Flamethrower
    Grass Knot
    Nasty Plot
    Close Combat

Pretty much the Mixed Sweeper of the whole team. Able to take on those Bulky Water types, the heavier the are,the harder they fall, lol espically with Life Orb and Nasty Plot. Close Combat is pretty much for everything in between, and Flamethrower, you know where thats going.

Why a Mixape lead? Most other leads outspeed you and OHKO and even if you do survive and get a hit in, they'll be packing a Focus Sash. It'll just be a waste. Go with Standard leadape.

Staraptor@Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    252Att/252Spd/6HP

Brave Bird
    Close Combat
    U-Turn
    Return

Choice-Bander,Physical Sweeper and maybe

They do say that Staraptor is a great Choice Bander, especially with 2 powerful STABs along with Choice Band. Same as with Infernape, Close Combat is for everything else and U-Turn is mainly a "utility", letting Staraptor get a attack in before pulling out.

OK, nothing wrong I guess.

Lucario@Choice Specs
    Modest Nature
    252SpAtt/252Spd/6HP

Aura Sphere
    Dark Pulse
    Dragon Pulse
    Vaccum Wave

The Special Sweeper of the team, able to take on a whole bunch of different threats, tried this set-up in Shoddy and it really worked against both a Gengar and Dusknoir.

Go with Timid, then you can use a lure strategy and try to bring out Scizor's counters and take them out. HP Rock > Dragon Pulse though. Dragon Pulse nets you coverage against OU Dragons but....which one's are you going to be able to outrun? HP Rock lets you hit Zapdos and Gyarados harder.

Scizor@Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    6HP/252Atk/252Spd

U-Turn
    Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    Brick Break

Why Swords dance on a Bander? You'll just be locked into it. A Swords Dancer set does make a better late game sweeper too and it's not walled by Hippowdon and other Bulky Grounds like CBer is.

Starmie@ undecided
    Nature: undecided
    EV: undecided

Rapid Spin
    Reflect
    undecided
    undecided

Bulky Starmie is hardly useful anymore with Rotom-A around. Offensive Starmie can be a good revenge killer.

Gengar@Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    4 HP/252SpAtt/252Spd

Will-o-Wisp
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Thunderbolt

I replaced Hypnosis with Will-o-Wisp to help cripple

Why not make this your lead and change Will-o-wisp to Trick and run a Scarf? Trick also gives you a way to combat Blissey. Outside of Explosion of course.

Suggestions are in bold.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Why a Mixape lead? Most other leads outspeed you and OHKO and even if you do survive and get a hit in, they'll be packing a Focus Sash. It'll just be a waste. Go with Standard leadape.

ugh, i already said that wasn't gonna be the lead!, Scizor is

Infernape is my Mixed Sweeper!

HP Rock lets you hit Zapdos and Gyarados harder.

HP never works for me,

Why Swords dance on a Bander?

You got something better? i got a few resources that tells that set is a powerful set

Bulky Starmie is hardly useful anymore with Rotom-A around. Offensive Starmie can be a good revenge killer.

Well i need something to get rid of SR

Why not make this your lead and change Will-o-wisp to Trick and run a Scarf? Trick also gives you a way to combat Blissey.

I'll change that

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    You got something better? i got a few resources that tells that set is a powerful set

You do realize that once you use swords dance on what is a choice set you cannot attack right ? You are stuck in SD, hence the name "choice" you choose your attack. Who ever told you/is your resource for saying Swords Dance as good on a choice user set, to put it nicely is quite frankly a retard =/.

Use Pursuit or Night Slash.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Sorry to bump but i just wanna finalize this team, i wanna make sure if there is anything else

This my team so far:

Team Platinum!!!

Scizor@Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    6HP/252Atk/252Spd

U-Turn
    Pursuit
    Bullet Punch
    Brick Break

Lead of the team, should be able to get rid of Aeros and their Stealth Rock leads

Team Platinum!!!

Infernape@ Life Orb
    Naiive Nature
    24Att/252SpAtt/232Spd

Flamethrower
    Grass Knot
    Nasty Plot
    Close Combat

Team Platinum!!!

Staraptor@Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    252Att/252Spd/6HP

Brave Bird
    Close Combat
    U-Turn
    Return

Choice-Bander,Physical Sweeper

Team Platinum!!!

Lucario@Choice Specs
    Modest Nature
    252SpAtt/252Spd/6HP

Aura Sphere
    Dark Pulse
    Dragon Pulse
    Vaccum Wave

Team Platinum!!!

Starmie @Flame Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 136 HP/ 156 Def/ 216 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Surf
    ~Trick
    ~ Rapid Spin

I needed a good Water Pokemon, i wanted to use Floatzel but its not that strong yet so 'ill have to go with Starmie, since SR is a popular move in the OU and since i do have a Flying type, I'm gonna need something with Staraptor. And Trick with Flame Orb after another of Pokemon faints, sounds devilish /gg

Team Platinum!!!

Gengar@Choice Specs
    Timid Nature
    4 HP/252SpAtt/252Spd

Trick
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Thunderbolt

I replaced Hypnosis with Trick to help cripple, hopefully help counter against Gyara

Back