• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Rocket, Lame or Got Game?

Years
  • So has anyone noticed that compared to when Pokemon first started out, Team Rocket's gotten pretty lame? I mean, this could just be that I've gotten older and I think it's cheesy, but there's my points. They just seemed so cool in the beginning, what with the fact that they were criminals and had some new scheme and stuff. Sure, the whole "blasting off" thing was repetitive, but have you noticed that now they seem to "blast off" a lot more? Like normally they would only do it once an episode, but now, before they can even do like...ANYTHING...they blast off. I miss the old Team Rocket =(

Then:

Now:

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
  • This is one reason I'm glad I haven't watched many episodes of DP. I'm not sure when this "lame" Team Rocket starts, but I'm currently watching the Johto League, and they're still pretty awesome. I've seen a lot of people say that they don't do much in the show now and that makes me sad, because I love Team Rocket. I mean, they've almost always been the losers of the show, but it was never super awful.

I'll probably continue watching it when I get up to those episodes just because, once you love something it's hard to give up. :P But it'll still be kinda sad. (Not to mention I dislike the new voice actors, especially for James.)

I guess I'll have to wait until I see more of DP to really give an opinion, as I've only seen a few episodes. Not nearly enough to notice. But from what I see from other people, they don't exactly "got game". :P

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • Team Rocket stopped being a real threat to Ash and co somewhere halfway through the Indigo League if I remember correctly. The trio went further downhill when Ash got to Hoenn. That's were the boss fantasies started.

This is the reason why I like DP. The writers introduced non-comic relief villains like Hunter J and Team Galactic. I just hope that they don't mess up in the end like they did with Aqua and Magma.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • I would rather see Team Rocket less frequently with more interesting schemes than in every single episode doing damn near nothing. They've had some good episodes, like the one where Meowth has a little pep-talk with Chimchar (aww!), but on the whole they've just gotten stupider and stupider. -.- Poor Jessie and James, they were so badass in Series 1.

Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2009
    So has anyone noticed that compared to when Pokemon first started out, Team Rocket's gotten pretty lame? I mean, this could just be that I've gotten older and I think it's cheesy, but there's my points. They just seemed so cool in the beginning, what with the fact that they were criminals and had some new scheme and stuff. Sure, the whole "blasting off" thing was repetitive, but have you noticed that now they seem to "blast off" a lot more? Like normally they would only do it once an episode, but now, before they can even do like...ANYTHING...they blast off. I miss the old Team Rocket =(

I think you're right. In their first appearance, they were quite a bit more sinister.

Last edited:

Humiliation

The Hero Within
    Years
  • They're both.

Got Game-
    Because they always catch Ash and friend's Pokemon almost every time and its always upto Ash to go and destroy their Hot air balloon and retrieve their Pokemon.

Lame-
    Because they basically lose every time to anyone, they are quite passionate about their Pokemon but dont take care of them too well.

MiniEggs

Working On Something Spritey.
    Years
  • What I don't get is in how the episode of Pokemon Chronicles called 'Training Daze' (I think) where it shows them how they joined up, they were so good at being in the team, but now they just suck? How did that happen. The only reason Ash ever thought they were scary is being Jessie has freakishly big hair.

Years
  • I have to agree with a lot of stuff you guys typed =) I just...I was looking at icons for Pokemon, and I saw one that had a Wanted poster of Jessie and James and I was like...wow, where did they go? Because recently I saw an episode of DP one morning while I was having breakfast, and they blasted off once for no good reason really. They were just hitching a ride on the Battle Pyramid, they flew off, and they're blasting off again. Then the next time they blasted off without seeing Ash too. I just really miss how awesome they used to be.

But yes, I also have to say them just coming once an episode to get Pikachu, losing, and then blasting off was also boring. I just really wish they would revert Team Rocket back to how they were, and sort of make a side plot. Like maybe they actually GET Pikachu (and get further than like...a forest away before Ash gets Pikachu back) so they could string a mini-plot like that out for a few episodes.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • The show is a bit more kidified now, which is definitely part of it imo.

Before they would come out with guns and rockets and stuff, and were really trying to do bad things.

But seriously... they really were the top members of team rocket at first. Especially Meowth. Then, after only a few episodes, they're at the very bottom. That's what bugs me. I want to see them kill a couple people and steal a couple pokemon for once.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Well, if they were to stop going after Ash and his Pikachu, they would be a lot more successful. They are actually pretty good, and are stopped only because Ash (and friends) are around. If they went away, they could be good thieves again. If they went back to Hoenn, they could set up a Rocket Base in secrecy, and get back into Giovanni's good graces. They're stealthy enough to do so, and if they were captured, they could break out.

My point is, they're only lame because they go where Ash does. He's way more powerful then them, and is used to them as well, so he will face no trouble from them. Their personalities might still need a little bit of work, but I'm pretty sure they're good enough to build a Rocket Base in Hoenn... they'd have trouble, yes, but they could do it. However, if Ash, May, or even Drew were to come around before they're done, they'd be beaten, unless they got new pokemon, and powered up their current team.

But that's only potential, in the anime right now, they're lame. But they used to have game, and they have the potential to have game even now...

They don't use it, though, and they likely won't, since the anime is way too kiddy now. Even moreso then Seasons 1 and 2 which in my opinion, were the best.

That's my own opinion, and there are likely flaws in this, but eh... I don't care right now.

MiniEggs

Working On Something Spritey.
    Years
  • I have lots of things to blame for the fall of Jessie and James.

a) Modern Society - If it weren't for all of this health & safety or whatever it is, we would still have Team Rocket pulling a bazooka out from their behinds and shooting Ash's face off. Instead, they pull out a Happiny Egg and expect it to rip out Ash's throat and steal Pikachu, whilst securing all the other Pokemon in a cage.

b) Their Pikachu Fetish - Surely they would realize by now that Ash will always beat them whenever they try to steal Pikachu, why not settle for a simple Pichu, then evolve it. I'm sure lots of trainers could tell them where to find one, or maybe even a Pikachu on that matter.

c) The annoying Wobbafet's - Thanks to Wobbafet and all the other Pokemon that act as it, always jumping out whenever it gets serious, nobody takes these guys serious anymore. I did find it funny in the Latias & Latios Pokemon Movie when it jumps out and she just takes it back ignoring it.

d) Pointless Blasting Offs - They are always pointless. Come on.

Ponyta

Diamond Hooves
    Years
  • I'd love to see some of the old rocket badassness. they haven't had a good plot or anything in a long while.

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I think the writers ran out of ideas, or maybe didn't see Team Rocket as neccesary to the plot anymore, so they 'prematurely' blast off nowadays, I miss the days the TR were so serious and hardcore, and plotting. Back then their plans made a lot MORE SENSE, not 2 mention they didn't crossdress/costumes and their planes weren't so repetitive.

Now they're goofy and weird and repeated their motto every episode(Headesk). They really oughta expand their team with more hardcore Pokeman like Rhydon, and stop chasing Pikachu. They ought to catch Wild Pokemon/Pikachus and bring them to boss, but status quo ensures that'll never happen. D: BRING BACK THE OLD ROCKETS.

PS: What happened to Giovanni? The last time I saw him was in a Meowth fantasy, then no more mention?

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • They have fallen off since the Johto region, I miss James' old voice, he was hilarious. Well, his character is still funny today but not like before it seems.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Ah...they've been slipping ever since Ash stopped using a bike to charge up Pikachu before he blasted them off. So....two episodes??

But yeah, why don't they wear black uniforms???

And they're actually pretty good, and have strong pokemon, when you look at it.

Maybe if they evolve Meowth.......and get Seviper to form an alliance with some Zangoose......

.....they'd be unstoppable

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
  • Ah...they've been slipping ever since Ash stopped using a bike to charge up Pikachu before he blasted them off. So....two episodes??

But yeah, why don't they wear black uniforms???

And they're actually pretty good, and have strong pokemon, when you look at it.

Maybe if they evolve Meowth.......and get Seviper to form an alliance with some Zangoose......

.....they'd be unstoppable
    I think they designed their own uniforms, or something, because they think they're so darn fashionable. XD So they don't wear the uniforms that every other Rocket agent wears. I think that if they went after some other trainers and different Pokemon besides Ash and Co. and Pikachu, they'd actually get somewhere. They should show them stealing some stuff from another trainer and never get caught for that, or something. Ash is always able to blast them off because he's the hero of the show. :/

I've always wondered, do you think if Meowth evolved into a Persian that he'd still be able to talk, or still walk on his back feet? Or would he forget it in the evolution process?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol.Walk on four legs but still talk.

At least as a meowth he looks less retarded than he did in the Indigo League.

But, you know how they're always in electric proof mechas??

As they're not gonna give up on Ash, why don't they catch every one of their pokemon except Pikachu?? Because that way Ash et. al. can't stop them, and all those pokes are worth more than pikachu

Years
  • I think Meowth would walk on four legs and still talk, like UFA said. I just think that a Persian walking on two feet would just...well, I think it would be a bit odd, you know? But I doubt they will evolve him, because of Giovanni's Persian so that sort of goes with the whole Meowth still being 2nd (or he used to be, anyway) best.

Quite truthfully, I can't comprehend the fact that Ash is stronger than Team Rocket. I mean, they have been training Pokemon for years longer than Ash, and they seemed to have a fairly decent team a long time ago. Sure, they all start over like every new region, but you'd think that they had more experience. Of course, they don't ever seem to battle unless it's with Ash, so that could be why. I just really miss the old voice actors, the old Team Rocket, and their old funny/awesomeness.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2009
    I really dislike Team Rocket, I always fast forward when they're on. I don't think that they can do anything interesting for them now, so personally I think it's time for them to go.

Back