• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Rocket, Lame or Got Game?

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    Team Rocket has kinda gone from cool to annoying. I've been watching the anime from the beginning and they seemed a lot cooler back then. I guess we're getting used to them or something. But still, it's kinda fun having them around. Like someone said, they're more of a comic relief now and Team Galactic are the real villians now.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yeah, but like the real Comic Relief over here in Britain, the stupidity is getting old now, and nobody pays much attention to them. (Not saying comic relief isn't a good thing, its charity after all).

Vespinus

as Shocking as Thunder!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2010
    I haven't watched the anime since I was very young, in series one, but when I accidentally flipped onto it when I was channel surfing, it was a scene where Jessie was crushing a Poke ball so Dustox could go and live somewhere else, so from my limited experience, they seem to still be game, but less evil. And the best thing about them was the way they were evil yet still awesome...

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    I know what you mean. Even now, when I watch the older episodes, I see these mean, intimidating criminals that I'm actually kinda scared of. Then I watch the new episodes and I find James more adorable than scary.

They haven't exactly 'got game', but they're not lame, per se. Just not very successful criminals.

I guess... They're lame at what they do, but they're not lame themselves. ^_^

xX

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    So, I was scouting the internet this evening and I found this screenshot, which perhaps should be used as the 'then' picture... It's Team Rocket back when they were scary and seemed like a real threat.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

This is what Team Rocket were before they became softies like they are today.
    xX

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Cool. Like, they don't even defeat anyone now. I mean, they managed to stuff two of Misty's sisters in a closet in the 1st series. Nowadays, they'd run at the sight of two girls

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    Honestly, I miss their original motto. It was so much better, the Sinnoh one makes me sad...

Prepare for trouble <3~

They have definitely gotten lamer since the beginning.

Bex

She said pud then ding!!
    Years
    Oooh, I hate the new motto. Burns my ears to hear them singing something different.
    I'm only up to season 7 but I've watched some Diamond and Peal on Nick.
    Team Rocket haven't got to the point of complete lameness yet... but they just aren't as fearful as before.

But I like the new episodes where Jessie is in contests, and the Camping it out (I think that's the episode name, too lazy to check) where Jessie has her boyfans and bosses people around.
    (Yet the fact this leaves James and Meowth out of the picture makes me sad, James is wayyyy cooler then Jessie xD)

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    Meh couldn't really care less about team rocker but I suppose their lame.

SooHee

Lame Trainer
    Years
    I always thought that they got lamer with each episode.
    I also always question how all of the other characters keep changing clothes and such when Team Rocket has kept the same outfit through all of the seasons OTL. The creators need to think of something new for them D:

joehat

Yay
    Years
    First off, when I mention "Team Rocket," I'm referring to Jessie, James, Meowth and their other Pokemon.

It seems to me that what Team Rocket has become today is just a matter of their character development.

In their first apperance they were pretty ruthless, going as far as attacking (and eventually causing its destruction) a Pokemon Center to steal all the Pokemon inside.

Another thing that changed Team Rocket (the entire Pokemon series and not to mention countless other media) was September 11th, 2001. If you notice, things really start to change with Team Rocket after that date. There were a lot fewer weapons in Pokemon following that date, and if there were, they didnt fire bullets or rpg's, but nets or smokescreens.

Ash and his friends have changed Team Rocket the most though. When you've been following someone for so long, you typically begin to pick up on some of their habits. Jessie for instance, getting into contests mirrors Ash's female friends. James even seems to be getting a bit like Ash, especially noticeable when he's playing with or taking care of his Pokemon. Mewoth...don't even get me started on. I hate what Meowth has become (also, Meowth will never evolve. He said himself that by learning to talk and walk, he lost his ability to learn any new moves or evolve).

I could honestly see Team Rocket not even being bad anymore in future seasons. I don't know if they will ever be replaced as the primary villians (LOL) but I could definitely see them just as like another one of Ash's travelling companions in the future (not like they aren't now though). It's only a matter of time before James challenges a Gym. Or maybe I'll be wrong, who knows.

It's a shame Team Rocket has to be portrayed like this though. I know Pokemon is a kids' show, and in kid's shows the bad guys never win. Ok ok ok Jessie won a ribbon, I know. However, think of all the countless times Team Rocket lost and was just sent blasting off again. What I hate the most is how Team Rocket can just be walking along, James clumsily trips over a tree root and they're all sent blasting off again. Really? Do the creators need to make the bad guys look that bad? It's sad.

I will say I miss the old Team Rocket. At least for one episode, they were truly badass.

Team Rocket might just be my favorite thing about the Pokemon anime. No matter what they do, no matter how many times they blast off (per episode even!), no matter how many times they lose, they always manage to make me laugh.

Team Rocket's got game.

WOOOOOOBBUUFFET!

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    First off, when I mention "Team Rocket," I'm referring to Jessie, James, Meowth and their other Pokemon.

It seems to me that what Team Rocket has become today is just a matter of their character development.

In their first apperance they were pretty ruthless, going as far as attacking (and eventually causing its destruction) a Pokemon Center to steal all the Pokemon inside.

Another thing that changed Team Rocket (the entire Pokemon series and not to mention countless other media) was September 11th, 2001. If you notice, things really start to change with Team Rocket after that date. There were a lot fewer weapons in Pokemon following that date, and if there were, they didnt fire bullets or rpg's, but nets or smokescreens.

Ash and his friends have changed Team Rocket the most though. When you've been following someone for so long, you typically begin to pick up on some of their habits. Jessie for instance, getting into contests mirrors Ash's female friends. James even seems to be getting a bit like Ash, especially noticeable when he's playing with or taking care of his Pokemon. Mewoth...don't even get me started on. I hate what Meowth has become (also, Meowth will never evolve. He said himself that by learning to talk and walk, he lost his ability to learn any new moves or evolve).

I could honestly see Team Rocket not even being bad anymore in future seasons. I don't know if they will ever be replaced as the primary villians (LOL) but I could definitely see them just as like another one of Ash's travelling companions in the future (not like they aren't now though). It's only a matter of time before James challenges a Gym. Or maybe I'll be wrong, who knows.

It's a shame Team Rocket has to be portrayed like this though. I know Pokemon is a kids' show, and in kid's shows the bad guys never win. Ok ok ok Jessie won a ribbon, I know. However, think of all the countless times Team Rocket lost and was just sent blasting off again. What I hate the most is how Team Rocket can just be walking along, James clumsily trips over a tree root and they're all sent blasting off again. Really? Do the creators need to make the bad guys look that bad? It's sad.

I will say I miss the old Team Rocket. At least for one episode, they were truly badass.

Team Rocket might just be my favorite thing about the Pokemon anime. No matter what they do, no matter how many times they blast off (per episode even!), no matter how many times they lose, they always manage to make me laugh.

Team Rocket's got game.

WOOOOOOBBUUFFET!

Well, yeah, it is sad. I know September 11th may have impacted the show in terms of weaponry, but... come on, couldn't they at least seem evil rather than clowning around? Sure, make them comical, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be made less threatening as well. I mean, take General Blue, for example. He did have some comicalness to him (at least in the anime, since I heard that General Blue in the manga was definitely not even close to comical.), yet he was shown at the same time to be a very grave threat (both by nearly killing Goku twice, and by nearly killing Krillin and anyone else in what may be considered a very horrific fashion). That, and the Ginyu Force. Those are PERFECT examples of Villains who can both be completely villainous AND comical.

If you aren't going to make JJM credible villains, at least create new villains that are credible. Heck, maybe have the entire Team Rocket army pursuit Ash and his friends, and possibly even JJM. Maybe make their lives at stake [it doesn't even need to use Firearms, as they could use a High Ranking officer who has psychic abilities, has super human strength of Hulk proportions, and actually kills pokemon.]. Maybe they could also kill a few pokemon, so as to make Team Rocket more evil.

Years
    I'm not even sure Team Rocket had game. Ever since I first saw them, they weren't that good. Sure, they pulled some dirty tricks, but who hasn't? They haven't done ANYTHING big on the show, only saving that for the movies.

I'm sorry, but Jessie, James and Meowth must go. A new group of Rockets should take their place and actually have a pair and go do evil things that would be worthy of being an evil team. Honestly, I would have gotten sick and tired of having a 10-year-old kid beat me every time. I would have evolved my Pokemon, got some new Pokemon and train them to take out my rivals.

Until further notice, Team Rocket will be nothing but LAME!

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
    No matter what Jesse, James, and Meowth are up to... Whether it be some "badass" destruction, or some lame attempt to capture a Pokemon and quickly failing... You must considered that they're actually just a distraction from the REAL Team Rocket's actions and criminal deeds.

Send a couple of morons out to distract the crowd while your true gang is out there capturing Pokemon en masse, plotting and getting stronger.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    No matter what Jesse, James, and Meowth are up to... Whether it be some "badass" destruction, or some lame attempt to capture a Pokemon and quickly failing... You must considered that they're actually just a distraction from the REAL Team Rocket's actions and criminal deeds.

Send a couple of morons out to distract the crowd while your true gang is out there capturing Pokemon en masse, plotting and getting stronger.
    If that's the case, they're doing a good job of it. We haven't seen any other part of team rocket for like... ever.

Years
    I just really miss how cool they used to seem. I mean, I still like them now (for a laugh, mostly =\) but...not quite as much. I hate their new little...what is it...oh, the motto. I mean, I think it should be a little bit more thought out. I can't come up with one myself that would be that good, but still. Maybe make it just a little more evil? I just wish Team Rocket (no matter how cute now) would make a come back and turn a little more evil. 'Cuz for me, I like the nostalgic stuff, not the Team Galactic and all.

Aberbecam

Banned
    Years
    Well i like the new Team Rocket motto. You guys might not realize that either you like it or not team rocket is developing in bad ways and good ways. But i agree with the opinion, The moto on the sinnoh sounds little bit bad. But the thing is Team Rocket is one of the creative and smart evil team but the bad thing about it is the jesse and james makes team rocket look like a joke.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2009
    I think Team Rocket should go, they have no purpose. THROW THEM OUT!

I think Jessie should stay and come between Morty and Dawn's Love.

Back