• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Rocket

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2013
    I saw a thread on this board on Team Rocket (can't link to it as I don't have enough posts) that inspired a thought in me. Given that Team Rocket is modeled on the Yakuza and in the actual Yakuza and many other organized crime syndicates (the Cosa Nostra of Italy and Sicily and the Tongs and Triads of China) there are multiple crime families it is conceivable that there probably exist other Team Rocket 'families' so to speak other than the Giovanni led syndicate we see in the anime...

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I don't think there are other branches. According to the games, when Giovanni went missing the whole Team Rocket group got disbanded. Since the anime is based on the games, it is very well likely the same. Moreover, nobody has ever heard of other branches and Giovanni seems to be the big boss of all.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I think there are other branches just not in terms of family to Giovanni. For instance they had a branch in Unova. If they didn't then why is there so much Rockets present interacting with Jessie, James, and Meowth. There was also a branch in Johto as well even though that is primarily directly controlled by Giovanni since Johto and Kanto are in close proximity. Giovanni even jokingly had the Team Rocket Trio try and establish a branch in Hoenn. If Team Rocket is a vast network of course there will be sub divisions of it. As for other Team Rocket families I don't think so, Giovanni is the head, and that's it.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • Oh yeah, as branches I meant organizations apart from Giovanni. I know very well Team Rocket is scattered everywhere.

Years
  • Not to mention, if you throw in the anime's backstory, Giovanni/Sakaki inherited the organization. (As of this writing, I don't think they ever re-addressed the matter.) Meanwhile, we have canon confirmation of Silver being his son, so that might come up, again. So, you could play that to your mythos/premise, vis-a-vis the family connection.

Curiously, the paradigm for each evil team keeps shifting in the games. Magma/Aqua were eco-terrorists, Galactic was your standard "I am God" outfit and Plasma is more animals' rights. While the latter teams are improving with their admins and their characterizations, they each have different images. (Said images expand when you throw in other media, as well.) If nothing, the Rockets are and continue to be a straightforward crime syndicate, which continues to be of interest in the fandom. Curious, especially as its infrastructure is a major discussion point and debate fodder.

(I think what I said made sense, didn't it?)

Back