• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Technology has gone too far

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    you're missing the point; rotom talking very little essentially meant that it was taking up space and as such the complaints were all like "waahh i want my previous generation's menus back"
    Man, I really do want the PSS back. That never should have left... Cries for days.

it's a traveling companion. that's the point, and it's supposed to be making conversation. i suppose offering needless advice more often than not is perhaps grating and not the most ideal way of breaking the ice with the player, but not (imo) a significant issue when there's genuine conversations that it wants to have with you, something that i think is a cute improvement over SM.
    The issue is it isn't making conversation. Well, not any more. It used to converse with me, asking me questions. Now it just talks at me, telling me things I don't need to know, getting in the way of me utilizing its other features, most notably the map. But it also makes you wait for it to stop talking to utilize Roto Loto, and even just recently I would have missed over a photo spot if I wasn't wearing headphones and heard the audio cue because he was telling me for the upteenth time that items can be equipped onto Pokémon which prevented me from seeing the photo icon pop up.

This is what we get if we ask for no tutorials I guess...
    But we did get a tutorial in addition to Rotom; the trainers' school is still a requirement.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Man, I really do want the PSS back. That never should have left... Cries for days.

The issue is it isn't making conversation. Well, not any more. It used to converse with me, asking me questions. Now it just talks at me, telling me things I don't need to know, getting in the way of me utilizing its other features, most notably the map. But it also makes you wait for it to stop talking to utilize Roto Loto, and even just recently I would have missed over a photo spot if I wasn't wearing headphones and heard the audio cue because he was telling me for the upteenth time that items can be equipped onto Pokémon which prevented me from seeing the photo icon pop up.

But we did get a tutorial in addition to Rotom; the trainers' school is still a requirement.

The whole intro to the game is a lot shorter though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2019
    I received two interesting tips from Rotom yesterday. I didn't previously know that I could access the Pokedex by touching the space between its eyes. And I didn't realise you could assign rides to the D-pad for quick use.

I have also heard 16 times that I can re-take my trainer passport photo whenever I like, which I found less useful hahaha

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The whole intro to the game is a lot shorter though.

Yes I do appreciate that the cutscene-heavy start of the game was trimmed down, but the extended tutorial is still there. Making some of what Rotom says rather redundant before factoring in that he repeats what he says at a breakneck pace.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    When does Rotom say this exactly? I am on the 4th island and Rotom has done nothing of the sort for me yet.

How often do you interact with him, i.e. poke him when his eyes are half open, etc.

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently Rotom has a unseen affection meter that increases when you interact with him, and the higher it gets, the more he talks.

I'm going to test it when I start UM, and never interact with him, to see how it goes.
    I've interacted with him every chance I could in my US, and he starting being annoying some point during the 3rd Island.

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
  • Thank god it's not just me that despises this new rotom dex.

As someone who wasn't a massive fan of rotom dex in sm, this new rotom has literally soured my experience with the game, not even the safari zone has had me frustrated and annoyed as much as this piece of s***.

Wanna focus on gameplay? Can't, Rotom is talking.

Wanna look at the town map? Can't, Rotom is talking.

Wanna catch new wild pokemon? Can't, Rotom is talking.

Honestly imo, this is the worst feature in any pokemon game, I absolutely hate it.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Agreed. Rotom actually annoyed me in SM. He annoys me in the anime because he has to say something everytime you turn around and now USUM I just want to take a hammer and smash rotom into a million pieces.

And then it goes around and automatically activated rotom powers at some points.

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • How often do you interact with him, i.e. poke him when his eyes are half open, etc.

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently Rotom has a unseen affection meter that increases when you interact with him, and the higher it gets, the more he talks.

I'm going to test it when I start UM, and never interact with him, to see how it goes.
    I've interacted with him every chance I could in my US, and he starting being annoying some point during the 3rd Island.

I talk to him sometimes, not a lot though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2019
    I do appreciate when he steps in and lets you use a Z move more than once in battle. That's something at least.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    pfffffffft lmao it legit says "here's the part where I give you advice you didn't ask for!"

......I'm at the fire trial rn so we'll see how I feel about Rotom as the rest of the game progresses

Haggerella

Captain Butts
    Years
  • I'm going to test it when I start UM, and never interact with him, to see how it goes.

Well in that case, I've got this covered so you don't have to!

I was panicing for nothing, as I'm on the fourth island now and I can confirm he's talking to me LESS than the start. Most likely because I've furiously ignored him for the entire game lmao.

I think I responded to ... 2 of his questions? And that's about it all game.

He doesn't talk to me, and I don't acknowledge him. It's a beautiful friendship. <3

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    Well in that case, I've got this covered so you don't have to!

I was panicing for nothing, as I'm on the fourth island now and I can confirm he's talking to me LESS than the start. Most likely because I've furiously ignored him for the entire game lmao.

I think I responded to ... 2 of his questions? And that's about it all game.

He doesn't talk to me, and I don't acknowledge him. It's a beautiful friendship. <3

Well, thanks!
    I'm still going to ignore him so he doesn't annoy the hell out of me. lol

Last edited:
    Years
  • here's the part where I give you advice you didn't ask for!

Lmao I loved that. At least they acknowledge it's a feature we probably don't want nor need, at least not longterm.

Rotom itself is cute though!! I feel like I have someone to travel with and am not just going through things alone, since your Pokémon don't interact with you in any way except during battles. Sure wish I could skip past the things it says when I need to use the map and etc tho... ): But eh I will live.

Kartanaheart

Origami King
    Years
  • Good lord I'm so sad at this feature GF really dropped the ball smh
    I loved the rotom so much last game he was so cute and endearing and when I heard about the feature that you could now bond more with him, I was really excited and started poking at and playing with him as soon as i got him

what a mistake

He's a little to enthusiastic about me now and it's kind of making me uncomfortable and he talks WAY too much atleast give him new dialogue instead of repeating the same 3 things over and over

but he's a life saver with all the little hax boosts he gives me

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Rotom started calling me by a nickname today. I thought it would be fine because "lel memz" but about 5 seconds after I let him do that I started to regret every life decision I've ever made. And he won't. Stop. Giving. Me. "Advice." Yes Rotom, I know you can poison opponents thanks, you told me that three times already in the past 30 seconds. I can't use the map feature any more because he's talking to me about useless stuff every 2 seconds and blocks the map. Yeah okay he has O-powers now but honestly I don't think receiving 200 Encounter Powers makes up for this eternal torment.

I didn't figure out how to drop him into the water during the water trial so my opportunity for that has passed. But surely there must be some power switch I can access to put an end to this misery. I didn't see anything in the Options menu, so it must be located elsewhere. Any help on this matter will be most appreciated.

In all seriousness, jeez my enjoyment of this game has dropped when Rotom started becoming "friendly," he's just so invasive. I have to actively ignore the bottom screen at all times now. I think this was way more successful at the start of the game where Rotom only occasionally quipped at you. Is there at least some way to stop him from calling you the nickname? I don't want him calling me "Roto-N" every time I see a wild Pokémon...

At some points he's endearing, at others he's annoying...

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    I don't see how it is a problem. If it prevented important events like a battle and you had to wait till Rotom stops speaking... yeah I would agree but as far as I can tell battle overwrites whatever Rotom is saying and Rotom will not interrupt storyline. As for map- Rotom speaks quick enough that it does not hinder maps at all.

I for one like how Rotom is more interactive. And yes people have complained how Rotom becomes "dead" once the storyline is over.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    Good lord I'm so sad at this feature GF really dropped the ball smh
    I loved the rotom so much last game he was so cute and endearing and when I heard about the feature that you could now bond more with him, I was really excited and started poking at and playing with him as soon as i got him

what a mistake

He's a little to enthusiastic about me now and it's kind of making me uncomfortable and he talks WAY too much atleast give him new dialogue instead of repeating the same 3 things over and over

but he's a life saver with all the little hax boosts he gives me
    you must have never played after the end of Sun and Moon- he repeats the same thing over and over again once you beat the game- how he misses Lillie, and how you need to fill pokedex and catch ultra beasts even though you have finished both of these tasks. At least here it is just general crap and not repeating tasks you have already finished.

Back