• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Technology has gone too far

Years
  • I can see where people are coming from with Rotom Dex annoying you a lot, but I actually like his new features in this game such as the Roto Powers and granting you access to Z-Moves twice in the same battle. I do like how he eventually calls you "Master" when you bond with him, since that's pretty much what he calls me now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    you must have never played after the end of Sun and Moon- he repeats the same thing over and over again once you beat the game- how he misses Lillie, and how you need to fill pokedex and catch ultra beasts even though you have finished both of these tasks. At least here it is just general crap and not repeating tasks you have already finished.

Here it's worse though and the game punished you for talking to him. Opening a menu, finishing a battle, changing location, all of that is a trigger for him to say another canned tutorial piece of dialogue that covers the map screen and isn't interesting or useful

He talks during story events and that's fine- It's fun! I like having a character always with me, but he just won't shut up and spams my bottom screen with the same eight lines of dialogue over and over, actively preventing me from using some features

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    so the moral of the story here is: the less you interact with rotom, the less it bothers you.

I'd argue that it's more like "If you reach a certain affection threshold, rotom won't stop talking about the same few tutorial things over and over and actively hampers your ability to play the game by doing so"

No one is arguing that it's bad that it talks to you more based on the amount of interaction you have with it, just that after a certain point it interacts with you way too much with no way to stop it, and does so in the most inane way possible (By yelling at you with things you already know, and lamp shading the fact it's doing it)

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • Ah, good. I'd been looking for somewhere to post my thoughts on this, so I'll just copy and paste what I wrote in another thread.

Rotom is a pain in the ****ing ****. GOD I wish it would shut the **** up. Every few seconds the needy little ******* wants something or gives me advice a damn 4 year old would already know, or has those sad eyes wanting some damn attention, or flashes yellow for the lotto thing. And I made the mistake early on of saying yes to that bloody nickname because I thought saying no would hurt it's feelings.

You know what it reminds me of? Bubsy. It's constantly making little remarks and is seemingly self aware with that whole "here's where I give you advice you didn't ask for" bit. Now, self aware humour can be funny when it's done right. But here it seems as if the developers know that it's annoying, and that's when this type of humour fails. It's basically a giant middle finger to the audience when someone knows they're being unfunny/annoying and tries to make light of it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    Ah, good. I'd been looking for somewhere to post my thoughts on this, so I'll just copy and paste what I wrote in another thread.

Rotom is a pain in the ****ing ****. GOD I wish it would shut the **** up. Every few seconds the needy little ******* wants something or gives me advice a damn 4 year old would already know, or has those sad eyes wanting some damn attention, or flashes yellow for the lotto thing. And I made the mistake early on of saying yes to that bloody nickname because I thought saying no would hurt it's feelings.

You know what it reminds me of? Bubsy. It's constantly making little remarks and is seemingly self aware with that whole "here's where I give you advice you didn't ask for" bit. Now, self aware humour can be funny when it's done right. But here it seems as if the developers know that it's annoying, and that's when this type of humour fails. It's basically a giant middle finger to the audience when someone knows they're being unfunny/annoying and tries to make light of it.

... bad day at work?
    I would compare it to Navi or Fi from Legend of Zelda series- a somewhat annoying companion that does not effect the overall quality of games whatsoever.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • so the moral of the story here is: the less you interact with rotom, the less it bothers you.
    Pity one of the neat additions to USUM - a reskinned O-Power function but nonetheless - requires you to interact with Rotom. =(
    pryce10 said:
    I would compare it to Navi or Fi from Legend of Zelda series- a somewhat annoying companion that does not effect the overall quality of games whatsoever.
    I would disagree with Fi, and by extension Rotom. Her stuff broke the game immersion by reminding you too many times your wii remote battery was getting low and so forth. By reminding you of basic game functions continually, and even right after you do it (heard from a friend Rotom told him to save after he had just done so, etc), you're annoying the player and taking them out of the world they're trying to explore and enjoy.

(Disclaimer - I am not yet far enough into the game to have encountered Rotom's ramped-up talking.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    Pity one of the neat additions to USUM - a reskinned O-Power function but nonetheless - requires you to interact with Rotom. =(
    I would disagree with Fi, and by extension Rotom. Her stuff broke the game immersion by reminding you too many times your wii remote battery was getting low and so forth. By reminding you of basic game functions continually, and even right after you do it (heard from a friend Rotom told him to save after he had just done so, etc), you're annoying the player and taking them out of the world they're trying to explore and enjoy.

(Disclaimer - I am not yet far enough into the game to have encountered Rotom's ramped-up talking.)

I think people are making too much big deal out of this- just like Navi you can ignore constant "hey listen!" and focus on the game- at least it is not vocal unlike Navi and the text moves pretty fast.

Years
  • Pity one of the neat additions to USUM - a reskinned O-Power function but nonetheless - requires you to interact with Rotom. =(

i personally only interact with it for o-powers, and so far it doesnt seem to be talking any more than it did originally

note that i am at the e4 at this point so really i dont think it's a matter of how far you are in the game so much as how much you interact with rotom in general

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I talk to mine a lot; And I'll say that the boosted Pokemon capturing rate would help you so much with the legendaries in the Ultra Wormhole-- I use them when I get fed up with some of the stubborn ones and they're caught within a ball or two. Coincidence much?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Got farther in the game now, and I can see why Rotom bothers some people. It talks a lot, and it's mostly the same handful of advice so you see the same messages all the time. It literally speaks after almost every time I do something at this point. And on top of that, you can't make use of any of it's other functions or engage in any other interactions with it until it's done. It's probably annoying as all hell for some people. People shouldn't have to choose between not having Rotom talking too much for them and not engaging in what makes it fun.

But, how much Rotom talks doesn't really bother me personally. The frequency of its speech began to rise exponentially for me around the time of the fire trial, and I'm now about to set off for Poni Island, so it's been a chatterbox for quite a while now, so if it was going to be an issue for me, it would've been so by now. I like Rotom in US/UM since it now has what it lacked in S/M--it's interactive and feels like a real partner to have along and has multiple useful functions rather than just being a map that talked sometimes, which is basically what it was in S/M.

Also.....did anybody here let Rotom call them "Master"? It asked me that yesterday and I refused to let it do that. It's like a) that's not our relationship and that's not going to be our relationship, ever, and b) I'm not worthy of being called Master by anyone in any manner. I'll just stick with Roto-N thanks.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Got farther in the game now, and I can see why Rotom bothers some people. It talks a lot, and it's mostly the same handful of advice so you see the same messages all the time. It literally speaks after almost every time I do something at this point. And on top of that, you can't make use of any of it's other functions or engage in any other interactions with it until it's done. It's probably annoying as all hell for some people. People shouldn't have to choose between not having Rotom talking too much for them and not engaging in what makes it fun.

But, how much Rotom talks doesn't really bother me personally. The frequency of its speech began to rise exponentially for me around the time of the fire trial, and I'm now about to set off for Poni Island, so it's been a chatterbox for quite a while now, so if it was going to be an issue for me, it would've been so by now. I like Rotom in US/UM since it now has what it lacked in S/M--it's interactive and feels like a real partner to have along and has multiple useful functions rather than just being a map that talked sometimes, which is basically what it was in S/M.

Also.....did anybody here let Rotom call them "Master"? It asked me that yesterday and I refused to let it do that. It's like a) that's not our relationship and that's not going to be our relationship, ever, and b) I'm not worthy of being called Master by anyone in any manner. I'll just stick with Roto-N thanks.

Lmao I haven't gotten to that point yet, but that's a much better nickname then Roto-C xD

Haggerella

Captain Butts
    Years
  • So, an interesting development on interaction -

I didn't talk to Rotom all game. He quieted right down all through ula and poni island, but the second I finished the main storyline, and even more so after the post game stuff, he won't stop trying to make me befriend him.

Actual prompts have started appearing regularly (every time i open my 3ds) like "Hey you ignore me and should get to know me better! Do you want to learn more about me? YES/YES" and various other 2 option yes answer questions based around trying to guilt me to interact with him.

Literally a no win situation if you don't like Rotom lmao

Back