• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Text-Based Pokemon (C#)

Years
  • Game Title - ***not yet named ***

Description - This will be a text-based Pokemon game, written in C#, which will resemble the original Red & Blue Pokemon games. I am trying to hone my skills in C# and I thought "what better way than to write a Pokemon game?" I am going to follow the original games closely while trying to add my own twists in there as I go. Originally, I didn't think I would release it to the public. I'll admit, I was a bit intimidated with what I've seen on these forums. But, after thinking about it, if I'm going to put the time into the game, why not release it so people could comment and critique it? Life is a never-ending path to knowledge and the more people that see what I've done, the more I can learn.

Development Team - You're looking (reading?) at him! This is a one man show as of now.

Features - These won't be very overwhelming, considering some of the absolute MASTERPIECES I've already seen on this site in my short stint here, but to me they will be considered accomplishments in my brand new coding career. If I can incorporate any/all of these in my game, I will be ecstatic!
    • first 151 Pokemon
    • higher difficulty than original game to make for a challenge
    • working combat system
    • functional experience system

Development - I've gotten some of the basics to begin the game completed, such as an introduction, selecting your starting Pokemon, your rival selecting their Pokemon, prompt for your first rival battle (no combat as of yet) followed by a list to travel to another town. Again, very basic stuff to start. Where I am at right now is I'm trying to create the actual Pokemon and develop a randomEncounter() method to decide which wild Pokemon shows up depending on which region you are in.

Screenshots - Since this is a text-based game, these screenshots aren't going to be much to look at other than a console screen. In time, I could create venture down the road of making a GUI to be much more user-friendly, but that's not on my to-do list as of yet. Here's just a couple quick screens so far:

Begin game splash screen (credit to ASCII.co.uk/art/pokemon):
    Spoiler:

Select your Pokemon:
    Spoiler:

Travel to new region:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Right now I'm really struggling with the best way to "create" the Pokemon in game. If anyone wants to lend me a helping hand by taking a look at my code, shoot me a PM. It would be greatly appreciated.

Years
  • Why did you do it as ASCII?
    C# has plenty of drawing tools like OpenGL.net or SdlDotnet You know.
    But as for what you got it looks nice and could be intresting

I just went with something quick. I'm not concerned with the drawing tools in C# just yet as I'm focusing writing the game. When I complete it I may go back and use the drawing tools.

PinkCatDragon

The 17 year old programer. Now byte off
    Years
  • I just went with something quick. I'm not concerned with the drawing tools in C# just yet as I'm focusing writing the game. When I complete it I may go back and use the drawing tools.
    Cool. I hope this goes well :)
    If you need help with c# just ask i studied it at college last year
    Also are using the Microsoft .net framework or the mono runtime?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2014
    C# is great for Pokemon editing, I use Codeblocks text editor as it checks out the errors incredibly easily in the script.

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2015
    If you really want to make a text-based game you should look into php/js. C# console is pretty awful for stuff like this.

I guess it doesn't hurt if you're just trying to pick up some C# skills though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2014
    Codeblocks does c# didt know that i thought codeblocks was for c++ C and D

Codeblocks works for almost every known programming language, but it's specifically built for created computer programs/functions. It can also be used for PHP in web development, even though it's not specifically for that field.

Codeblocks is simply a text editor like MS Notepad, except more advanced.

Back