• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Text Swap

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
Years
  • I think they might just completely remove the feature.

If not, they might make it so you can switch between English and French in the NA version (or English and Spanish).

But that seems very unlikely.

Years
  • OK.
    Kanji:
    Text Swap

Katakana:
    Text Swap

If correct, they are saying the exact same thing.
    It looks like they're doing more than just translating the kanji. The first part of the first line says 階上で in the kanji version and うえで in the kana version. 階上で would be transliterated as 'kaijou de' and うえで as 'ue de'. The first means 'upstairs' and the second means 'up' so the meaning is basically the same, but the non-kanji version looks like it's using simpler words in addition to the simpler kana script. (It's the same deal with the second line: 談笑できて isn't the exact same thing as おはなしできて but the meaning is essentially unchanged.)

tl;dr kanji version uses 'bigger words' in addition to kanji.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    The Kanji feature, how will it be handled?

Something I've been wondering since this feature was announced. I'm getting White in Japanese, I might use this feature for fun.

But, even though the American and non-Japanese releases don't come out until spring, probably March 2011. What will the feature do in the foreign games?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    The other thread seems to be discussing Kanji too, so I'm merging both threads.

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
  • If they don't remove the feature from the games when they're released here{not sure why they would keep it, really..} my guess would be on Spanish.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • If they don't remove the feature from the games when they're released here{not sure why they would keep it, really..} my guess would be on Spanish.
    That could work for the US :), I see French in the canadian versions, as for the Latin American versions, Portuguese (Spanish for Brazil) :)

Pikachu3828

Webmaster of The Pika Club
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2012
    The language switch has a specific purpose in the Japanese version due to their system of writing using multiple alphabets. As most European languages use the same Latin alphabet, with the exception of a few additional letters depending on the language, there really is no purpose to this feature when translating it for the west and so I believe it will simply get dropped.

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
    Years
  • The only way I think it could be used is switching between two languages. Like German and English in the German version and French and English in the French version.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Yeah, I have to agree. I think this function will be scrapped. In English it serves no purposes, except possibly toggling French <-> English, but Nintendo, as said previously, does usually release single-language. If people want to play it in French, they will just buy it in French. In Japanese there's a huge benefit to playing in kanji if you can read it, but of course given the target demographic they aren't going to switch from kana. I hope kana stays default and it makes the most sense logically because otherwise little children will have to get help switching the display. I imagine the kanji person will be early on in the game as well.

I think in English there is no need for an 'intermediate' dialogue on the level that's portrayed there, since I am quite sure we've run into words more complex than 'upstairs' in the script in previous games.

As Hiroshi Sotomura has pointed out, all the versions are compatible with one another except Korean, so I hope in the fifth generation there is support for the Hangul (Korean) syllabary.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    You know, the kind highschoolers were taught how to read.
    Not really. You learn Kanji as early as the equivalent to first grade in Japan. By the time you finish 6th grade, they're expected to know the 1006 basic kanji characters. Though you do continue learning it through high school.

Really?
    I didnt know you can switch between Katakana, Hiragana, and Kanji.
    Interesting.
    No, it's actually:
    Kanji+Hiragana+Katakana

or

Hiragana+Katakana

As for the US release, I'm sure they'll just remove it. Maybe in Canada there will be a French option...

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • they won't do text swap in the USA most likely, but in countries with more than one language they might

they won't do text swap in the USA most likely, but in countries with more than one language they might

they might in the USA actually because there are lots of immigrants in the US from different countries

Last edited:
    Back