• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Text To Speech [Accessibility for the blind] [BATTLE SYSTEM DONE]

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
Years

• Status

[a id]status[/a id]
    This is a big project, and so far I have done the following:
    • Basic speaking methods
    • PokeGear
    • Pause Menu
    • Pokedex
    • The Battle System

Features

[a id]features[/a id]
    speak(string)
    The speak(string) function reads out whatever you put in the place of string. For example, if you call speak("hi") then it reads out hi.

All the default message windows
    I rewrote all the message windows (e.g. pbMessage/@battle.pbDisplay).

pbSetUpAccessibility
    This sets up accessibility as a default action. This is the code used, just in case you want to edit it.
    Spoiler:

pbAccessibilityOn
    Turns accessibility on.

pbAccessibilityOff
    Turns accessibility off.

The above stated in status is also fully implemented

How to implement

[a id]imp[/a id]
    There are a few steps:
    • Add this file to your game's base folder
    • Add this file to your game's base folder
    • Add this audio file to Base Folder/Audio/SE/
    • Add this .rxdata to Base Folder/Data/
    • Install this script:
      Spoiler:

Credits

[a id]credits[/a id]
    • Me
    • silver-wind
    • The eSpeak team

Support

[a id]support[/a id]
    Just like the post!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Wow, this is very good. If someone could contact the reborn team and ask if they could implement this, that would be amazing!

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2022
    Hi! I'm trying to mod this into Pokémon Reborn, and I'm getting this error that I don't know how to resolve:
    Code:
    NameError occurred while running script.

(eval):140uninitialized constant READING_METHOD

I tried it in base Essentials v17.2 and v18.1 and got the same error, and with changing PKMNFILE=true to =false just in case it was that.
    I'm not sure on a safe program to view rxdata files, so I'm stuck. Can you help me, please?

Okay I solved that error. I moved the added script from the RMXP script editor to a .rb folder in base/Data/Mods/
    Now I'm trying to find how to start it in-game.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I noticed that the fan game you are working on has the script installed, but I can't get it to work. How can I get it to work with Pokemon Meteor? I want to try this amazing thing

Years
  • Ok. Can't wait. Your amazing! Again thanks for making this! It really means something to me and a lot other blind gamers like me.

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • Hi! I'm trying to mod this into Pokémon Reborn, and I'm getting this error that I don't know how to resolve:
    Code:
    NameError occurred while running script.

(eval):140uninitialized constant READING_METHOD

I tried it in base Essentials v17.2 and v18.1 and got the same error, and with changing PKMNFILE=true to =false just in case it was that.
    I'm not sure on a safe program to view rxdata files, so I'm stuck. Can you help me, please?

Okay I solved that error. I moved the added script from the RMXP script editor to a .rb folder in base/Data/Mods/
    Now I'm trying to find how to start it in-game.

Maybe try adding a line that is READING_METHOD = 1
    Yes that is the problem

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2022
    Maybe try adding a line that is READING_METHOD = 1
    Yes that is the problem

It came up with a syntax error instead. :'3 I had a look in the rxdata file, and I think the problem is Reborn using an old version of Essentials. Scripts are titled differently, and have a lot of other differences internally. I'm adapting it, but it's a slow process for me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2022
    I'm sorry, adapting this to Reborn is beyond my ability right now. There are too many important differences between Reborn and Meteor to implement this without a seemingly neverending chain of bypassing and updating code. It might actually be easier to update Reborn to a newer version of Essentials to implement this, which I might be willing to do after Reborn is finished. Right now that's more work than I have time for.

Years
  • Woah! This resource would help a lot! This can help in expanding the playerbase into more people and can honestly give entertainment to those who can see!

Great Work as always.

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • I've released a new version, preventing some issues with the setup
    You can download it from an updated link in the OP.

Years
  • hi, it gives me the same error, it want's me to install espeak, even though I alreaddy have it, this is the new error:Pokemon Meteor dialog Script 'PScreen_Save' line 38: LocalJumpError occurred.

unexpected break

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • hi, it gives me the same error, it want's me to install espeak, even though I alreaddy have it, this is the new error:Pokemon Meteor dialog Script 'PScreen_Save' line 38: LocalJumpError occurred.

unexpected break
    It should ask to download eSpeak again, but i dont know whats causing the error.

Back