• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That dreaded topic: religion

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    T'would be my pleasure, bna_li.

Exodus 20 said:
    "God spoke all these words, saying: I am the Lord your God,who brought you out of Egypt, from the place of slavery. Do not have any other gods before Me. Do not represent [such] gods by any carved statue or picture of anything in the heaven above, on the earth below, or in the water below the land. Do not bow down to [such gods] or worship them. I am God your Lord, a God who demands exclusive worship. Where My enemies are concerned, I keep in mind the sin of the fathers for [their] descendants, to the third and fourth [generation]. But for those who love Me and keep My commandments, I show love for thousands [of generations]. Do not take the name of God your Lord in vain. God will not allow the one who takes His name in vain to go unpunished. Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy. You can work during the six weekdays and do all your tasks. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to God your Lord. Do not do anything that constitutes work. [This includes] you, your son, your daughter, your slave, your maid, your animal, and the foreigner in your gates. It was during the six weekdays that God made the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. God therefore blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. Honor your father and mother. You will then live long on the land that God your Lord is giving you. Do not commit murder. Do not commit adultery. Do not steal. Do not testify as a false witness against your neighbor. Do not be envious of your neighbor's house. Do not be envious of your neighbor's wife, his slave, his maid, his ox, his donkey, or anything else that is your neighbor's."

The commandments talk about not saying false things about your neighbor and not envying anything that is his. In essence, we are to be nice to our neighbors.

"Love thy neighbor as thyself" comes from Leviticus. (19:18 to be perfectly exact.) And Jesus repeatedly quotes it in the New Testament. Not an exact commandment, but definatly tying in with the ones specifically given us.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    Exactly.

9. "Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor"

and

10. "Thou shall not covet your neighbor's house..."

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    No, I believe bna_li was reffering to me. And as this is such, I apologize. There isn't much I can say other than that. I'm sorry for making a small error. It has been far too long since I've looked over my chatechism. Thank you for pointing out my error in the blatant manner you did.

I will take more time in the future to research my arguments.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    Oh, sorry then. bna_li.

I tend to get tired of these religion topics...

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    Let's see....

Let's talk about one of the following Religion topics:

- Women priests
    - Homosexuals
    - Married Priests
    - Bible (written BY GOD OR PEOPLE?)

Zone

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2006
    Red530 said:
    Let's see....

- Women priests
    - Homosexuals
    - Married Priests

I don't care about 1 or 3 because I'm not religious. Gay people and gay marriage is fine. The bible was written by people.

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
    Red530 said:
    Let's see....

- Women priests
    - Homosexuals
    - Married Priests

I'd rather not talk about number 2.

burny_2005

Nintendo Wii = Ownage in a box
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen May 31, 2011
    I really dont believe the world started by adam or eve, because nowadays, doesnt reproduction in families usually result in disabled people?
    If they did start the human race, surely we would all be messed up..

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    That's why we're called brothers and sisters...But it IS a messed up theory.

But I don't believe in Adam and Eve, or Cain and Abel. Nobody was there to witness it.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    burny_2005 said:
    I really dont believe the world started by adam or eve, because nowadays, doesnt reproduction in families usually result in disabled people?
    If they did start the human race, surely we would all be messed up..

Inbreeding, as far as I know, causes problems because of problematic traits that would otherwise be recessive. I wonder how that works if your genes are spawned from nothing.

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
    I don't think that the "Adam and Eve" theory is true, but you never know.

I mean, I never heard of someone giving birth to Spanish, German, Native American, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, and Italian children. It doesn't really add up to me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    Exactly...

Unless (if the story is true) Adam and Eve were of a certain race, and then reproduced to different races. Maybe one child was what we call today Chinese-looking, and one was what we call Italian-looking. Do you know what I mean?

But then there's the theory that if Adam and Eve had children, then those children would have to...er...couple.
    The only possible way would be for a brother and sister to couple.
    When a brother and sister couple and have a child, there is usually something wrong with the child when it is born.

Well, HELLO, brother and sister? How sick is that?

Which is the reason why I don't believe in Adam and Eve.

Years
    I've got a theory for that. The tower of Babel, where everyone started speaking different languages. And went on to have different races.

Gay people can't have babies the normal way. So I don't believe in gay marriage.

Bible was written by Men, inspired by God.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    I'm not against gay marriage, but yes, some of these theories do bewilder me, as well. You're not alone. ^_^

Back