• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That frustrating battle....

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    I'm sure we've all had experiences of a battle being so ridiculously hard you just feel like throwing your Game Boy/DS across the room. Share your experiences. It doesn't necessarily have to be battles against gym leaders or the Elite 4. I'll start. I have at least one experience for every generation.

Generation 1:
    Sabrina
    Spoiler:

Generation 2, HG and SS:
    Whitney
    Spoiler:

Morty
    Spoiler:

Generation 3:
    Norman
    Spoiler:

Generation 4:

Cyrus. More so in Platinum.
    Spoiler:

And then there's Cynthia
    Spoiler:

Generation 5:
    Lenora
    Spoiler:

Elesa
    Spoiler:

Ghetsis
    Spoiler:

Anyway, that's my experiences. Share yours

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    FR/LG: The battles against Lance and the rival. Their Pokemon were hard to deal with.

HG/SS: Red. I was underleveled, but I managed to get the job done.

R/S/E: Norman, because of his Slaking. I also had a hard time with Wallace (all 3 versions).

D/P/Pt: Cynthia. Why'd I have to go up against a level 66 Garchomp the very first time I battled her? Well, at least they made it easier in Platinum.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I'm sure we've all had experiences of a battle being so ridiculously hard you just feel like throwing your Game Boy/DS across the room. Share your experiences. It doesn't necessarily have to be battles against gym leaders or the Elite 4. I'll start. I have at least one experience for every generation.

Generation 1:
    Sabrina
    Spoiler:

Generation 2, HG and SS:
    Whitney
    Spoiler:

Morty
    Spoiler:

Generation 3:
    Norman
    Spoiler:

Generation 4:

Cyrus. More so in Platinum.
    Spoiler:

And then there's Cynthia
    Spoiler:

Generation 5:
    Lenora
    Spoiler:

Elesa
    Spoiler:

Ghetsis
    Spoiler:

Anyway, that's my experiences. Share yours

Wow, you really have a lot of experience of having difficult fights, which is rarely do because I'm always end up overleveled my pokemon. I'm envied you for that since I'm always hoped for difficult fights.

Spoiler:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Gen 1: The Rocket member in Mt. Moon with the Lv16 Raticate. That thing slaughtered half my team to death with Hyper Fang...

Gen 2: Whitney's Miltank the first time I faced. Since then, a female Graveler/Golem has ALWAYS been a part of my Johto teams.

Gen 3: None really stand out to me. Hardest would be Koga in LG.

Gen 4: Lucian's Lv63 Bronzong in D/P especially with the lack of Fire-types in those games.

Gen 5: All the post game guys with their Lv65-70 teams. I mean, come on! There's a 10-15 level jump over Ghetsis with nobody in between to practice on!

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    Gen I:

Brock- Always difficult on Yellow version, seeing as you start out with a FRIGGIN PIKACHU *Raaageee*. And added to that there are no Pokemon around the area that you can use effectively against him, so your stuck with over leveling Pikachu and even then stocking up a lot on Potions..

Gen II: Clair and Lance. The two horrid Dragon type users. Clair is a piece of cake, but Lance is another story. Most likely, his Dragonite are only a few levels below your strongest Pokemon, and his third and final Dragonite knows Outrage, probably OHKO most of your Pokemon. His Aerodactly isnt a joke either, and it can deal quite a bit of damage before you can finally take that little bugger out.

Gen III: No real trouble here, Norman a piece of cake, even the champion fell under my onslaught of attacks.

Gen IV: Didnt really play this series, so gonna skip it~

Gen V: Burgh was probably the worse, since I used Oshawott the first playthrough, and Snivy the second playthrough.

Markus1992

Azura
    Years
    In the earlier days, i basically captured and trained any Pokemon i liked the look of, which of course didn't give me many advantages against 'Gym Leaders', 'Elite Four' and the 'Champion. Now, i seem to plan my teams in advance to playing a game, which means i involve Pokemon i don't necessarily like just to defeat an individual. I enjoyed Pokemon more when i was younger, i should retrace my steps. Anyways, more to the point...

Pokemon Yellow (Brock) - When battling Brock, i had Butterfree and of course Pikachu, which quite evidently doesn't give me much of an advantage. I still remember the joy i felt when i finally defeated him... on what must have been the 30th run through. :S

Pokemon Emerald (Norman) - Slaking... enough said.

Pokemon Emerald (Winona) - A speciality in the flying type, right??? So, i decided to train my Manectric to a high level, in the hopes of zapping her team out of the sky... only to face off Altaria and its earthquake. :/

Pokemon Emerald (Liza & Tate) - I cant believe no-one had mentioned this pair yet, these girls put me through hell. Not to mention their age, just to rub it in my face that little bit more. After Winona had finished wiping the floor with me, i had to surf my sorry self across the ocean just to be kicked to the ground again by these two. My Vileplume was burnt to a crisp by flamethrower, my Swampert was destroyed by solarbeam... and dare i say it, yes... my Manectric was up against earthquake once again. I was a poor excuse of a Pokemon trainer.

Pokemon Emerald (Steven) - Just as i thought it couldn't get any worse, i stumbled into Steven. All i wanted was a Bagon from Meteor Falls, but that's asking for a little too much... don't you think. I was not prepared for what he had to show me, his levels were ridiculously high... i didn't stand a chance. To this day... i have beaten him once... with the aide of a cheat. :'( I'm sorry Pokemon... god damn you Cradily.

So, Pokemon Emerald isn't particularly my favourite. But... i enjoyed it all the same. It gave me a challenge, which is what i thrive for in Pokemon. And i got to use the Pokemon i liked... :)

Whilst on the topic of frustrating battles... I was in a battle with a Fearow, and i had only one Pokemon to oppose it. However, this Pokemon has no PP for its moves... which meant i had to struggle all the way through. In addition to this torment, the Fearow was only using sand attack. Grrr... and i couldn't turn the game off because i had made so much progress since my previous save, so the first thing i did when the battle FINALLY finished... SAVED!!!

I talk too much... :/

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    One that stands out to me is in gen 4, against Lucian, or more precisley, his Bronzong. I just didn't know what that thing was! Or what type, and with it having levitate and me having no fire types. Yeah. Took awhile.

Jesspke

Passerby~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    Uhh..Lots of recalling battles...:

SoulSilver

Whitney - The hardest gym leader EVER. Even when my cosin gave me his lvl 47 Lugia to complete her with, she still nearly took me down. I was >.<ing because the battle went like this:
    *Sitting in Deano's playing the DS*
    Me: I'm SO gonna mop the floor with her...*
    Lugia Turned away!
    Lugia took a nap!
    Lugia used Rock Smash! (Yeah, that's how..Unexperianced my co. is....)
    *The dreaded Miltank comes out*
    *At least 10 minutes later*
    Lugia used Crunch!
    Me & Co.: YESSSSS!
    *Trades Lugia back to co.*
    Lol, after that, I always dreaded that battle with whitney...

Clair - Oh, god. Typlosion, Typlosion. That was my only decent pokemon.
    The thing the annoyed me most was her god damnit Kingdra.
    It must have Hydro pumped/Whatever water move'd me and my Typlosion into hell,
    made me cut my left and right hands off,
    made my dance the tango with my poor typlosion,
    shoved me and typ's heads down a loo filled with crap, then FINALLY, I strengthed the hell outta her. God, bad memories :/

Pearl

Flint - Yes, as my main was Tortie, at least lvl 70 by now, I was gettin' pwned by him. Nuf' Said.

There's more, but I can't be bothered to type :/

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    the only battle that comes to mind right now is against Chuck in Hg/Ss, my god it would take me hours at him every time i went through the game. I like keeping a flrying type on me, and i usually choose the water type, both which are cruched by one or two max of his pokemon's rock slide.

Years
    For me, it was the Gym Battle against Blue in HGSS, I battled with a Lv100 Swampert and swept his whole team.

But his Machamp was the problem, it kept confusing me with DynamicPunch and I had to keep switching and using Full Restores.

I eventually beat him, though.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Gen 1: Never really had all too much trouble in this one, the E4 did give me trouble on my very first play through, but that was just because I made really stupid choices move wise.

Gen 2: Morty- I had nothing that could withstand his Gengar. Nothing. Everything that had type advantage got out sped and one to two hit KO'd.

Gen 3: Norman- This guy screwed me over, especially in my Nuzcloke run. Surprisingly, it wasn't really the Vigorath or Slaking that got me, it was his Belly Drum Linoone, I'm pretty sure that he also somehow boosted its speed. So basically I had a really fast Pokemon with 255 attack hammering down on me. Neither my Swampert, nor Gyardos, who were underleveled could beat it.

Gen 4: Never had much trouble here either. Cynthia might have put up a fight, but it was nothing I couldn't take.

Gen 5: Also, not much trouble. Most of the time, they give you an advantage right before a major battle: The super effective elemental monkey for gym one, fighting types for Lenora, the box dragon for N, etcetera.

Years
    Misty's never fun in Leaf Green with her Starmie, but the one, or ones I should say, that really stand out to me are Tate & Liza in Emerald. The first time I was playing it, I lost count of the number of times I had to face them.

Back