• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That one thing you detest

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
  • That one thing you detest about the Pokemon games. They're great, by and large, but there would definitely be something that I would want to change, and I hope I'm not the only one. :p

If I could change something, it would definitely be the speed of the game, the maximum text speed and faster walking speed could really make this a faster paced game, with the option to toggle speed. Another thing that comes in at a close second is NPC dialogue. They should have a few dialogues for each NPC, to breathe some life into the game and make it feel that more realistic. How about you guys? Maybe what you detest isn't all that bad. Discuss away!

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2014
    T close second is NPC dialogue. They should have a few dialogues for each NPC, to breathe some life into the game and make it feel that more realistic. How about you guys? Maybe what you detest isn't all that bad. Discuss away!

So do you mean like after you have spoke to them once and come back they have changed there Dialog? If so I like that idea, but I think anyone of that contain important information should not change the dialog for obvious reasons, as for what I dislike

Cave encounters. I don't know its not grass encounters just the Cave ones.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • So do you mean like after you have spoke to them once and come back they have changed there Dialog? If so I like that idea, but I think anyone of that contain important information should not change the dialog for obvious reasons, as for what I dislike

Cave encounters. I don't know its not grass encounters just the Cave ones.

Yeah, that's excatly what I meant. People that are meant to convey important information could also have mutliple dialogue, but phrase the information in different ways. Yeah, I don't particularly like caves, maybe because the encounter rate just seems a tad but higher than in the grass, and there are pretty limited cave dwelling Pokemon.

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • The only thing I really have a problem with in any of the Pokemon games is the random encounters. Sure I know, you won't catch any Pokemon without them, but it's really frustrating when all I want to do is go grab that item on the ground and get on with my business, and instead I'm harassed by about four of the same Pokemon.

Four being an exaggeration but still, you know what I mean. And I can never seem to buy enough repels.

Reactions: Tek

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • The only thing I really have a problem with in any of the Pokemon games is the random encounters. Sure I know, you won't catch any Pokemon without them, but it's really frustrating when all I want to do is go grab that item on the ground and get on with my business, and instead I'm harassed by about four of the same Pokemon.

Four being an exaggeration but still, you know what I mean. And I can never seem to buy enough repels.

Yeah, but that's very important and defining part of the Pokemon game series. It affects a lot of things like grinding, shiny encounters, even breeding. I can understand but surely the encounter rate isn't that bad? ;)

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • Yeah, but that's very important and defining part of the Pokemon game series. It affects a lot of things like grinding, shiny encounters, even breeding. I can understand but surely the encounter rate isn't that bad? ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a random encounter with a new Pokemon, or like you said if I'm grinding, or even if I decide one day that I'll spend a few hours looking for a shiny. But it's when I'm trying to get places (specifically places I've already been) that these encounters irritate me.

ESPECIALLY in caves. If I see one more damned Zubat...

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I hate random encounters in X and Y that you can't avoid with repels. Like those pokemon that pop out from the ceiling of the cave, or the dust that follows you in Route 13, or the random tree-swooping pokemon from Victory Road's outer groves, or the ones that pop out from rock smash in every game.

I also hate evasive and accuracy moves. They drive me insane when I see a trainer spamming double team like Cynthia's Spiritomb.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a random encounter with a new Pokemon, or like you said if I'm grinding, or even if I decide one day that I'll spend a few hours looking for a shiny. But it's when I'm trying to get places (specifically places I've already been) that these encounters irritate me.

ESPECIALLY in caves. If I see one more damned Zubat...

xD. It's general Pokemon preference, after all. ;)

I hate random encounters in X and Y that you can't avoid with repels. Like those pokemon that pop out from the ceiling of the cave, or the dust that follows you in Route 13, or the random tree-swooping pokemon from Victory Road's outer groves, or the ones that pop out from rock smash in every game.

I also hate evasive and accuracy moves. They drive me insane when I see a trainer spamming double team like Cynthia's Spiritomb.

Yeah, it's mindless spamming of one move to hope that the opposing Pokemon won't hit you, it turns into a game of luck and completely defeats the point out using skill to triumph in the game, both in game and competitively. :)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    So they try to put more emphasis on story and story driven exploration. Well, that's fine by me. But why do they need to put one dimensional, 4th wall not breaking, but litterally shattering, NPCs and tutorials into the games? They only have a limited amount of buttons and most of the stuff is self explanatory.

Oh, and nobody dare to say it's for the kids. They should be capable enough to figure most of that stuff out on their own. They don't need a random generic guy telling them that you push Start to open the Startmenu and that the nurse at the Poke Center heals your Pokemon (because that's usually what nurses do, don't they?)

I could probably rage on this topic for hours xD

Lauren92

#pokemonforlife
    Years
  • So they try to put more emphasis on story and story driven exploration. Well, that's fine by me. But why do they need to put one dimensional, 4th wall not breaking, but litterally shattering, NPCs and tutorials into the games? They only have a limited amount of buttons and most of the stuff is self explanatory.

Oh, and nobody dare to say it's for the kids. They should be capable enough to figure most of that stuff out on their own. They don't need a random generic guy telling them that you push Start to open the Startmenu and that the nurse at the Poke Center heals your Pokemon (because that's usually what nurses do, don't they?)

I could probably rage on this topic for hours xD

I did like in X and Y that they let you skip a large part of the tutorial section. As for your point, I agree that the directions probably wouldn't help children. They probably don't read it anyways lol. I know I would skip most of the dialog in the game when I was a kid.

AxeBeard McBeardAxe

Jarl of the PokeCommunity
    Years
  • I did like in X and Y that they let you skip a large part of the tutorial section. As for your point, I agree that the directions probably wouldn't help children. They probably don't read it anyways lol. I know I would skip most of the dialog in the game when I was a kid.

Yeah exactly. Too bad the fanbase has been saying this for years and GameFreak is only JUST starting to actually listen. I think they're just afraid if they change anything, less people will buy. I guess they figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it, even if the fans would like it... Oh, well.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Surprised no one has said this yet - more save slots please.

Yes I totally agree; it beats the hell out of restarting all the time. Though I can see how it would be difficult, to trade pokemon over from trainer to trainer or battle people since your friend code is connected to the 3ds now, if you have multiple save files.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Improved running speed definitely sounds nice, as well as pace of dialogues.

One thing I've always been hoping for, however, is extra slots for Pokémon. There would be six primary, and those that are in it would be participate in-battle at any given time. Next, are secondary. Pokémon that are put in secondary slots won't be able to fight unless categorized as primary, but they could, however, use HMs outside. This would be very helpful for some people, including myself.

Aside from that, I'd also like there to be more range of clothes and accessories, if they do decide to keep the player customization feature. If they don't have enough space inside cartridges, they'd always be able to allow us to download these things and save them into our memory card and whatnot.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Improved running speed definitely sounds nice, as well as pace of dialogues.

One thing I've always been hoping for, however, is extra slots for Pokémon. There would be six primary, and those that are in it would be participate in-battle at any given time. Next, are secondary. Pokémon that are put in secondary slots won't be able to fight unless categorized as primary, but they could, however, use HMs outside. This would be very helpful for some people, including myself.

Aside from that, I'd also like there to be more range of clothes and accessories, if they do decide to keep the player customization feature. If they don't have enough space inside cartridges, they'd always be able to allow us to download these things and save them into our memory card and whatnot.

Yeah, save slots would be nice, and really. Please give us more story, I know it's meant to appeal to youngsters also, but there's a reason why they watch the anime. Even if it's simple character development. Please.

I would absolutely love the idea of Primary and Secondary slots, but this is going to be a major change in terms of game mechanism, and Gamefreak is really slow at changing and shaking things up, so I'd think it'll be quite a while before there's even official talk about this. Character customization is someone I really would like to see expanded, it just adds a whole personal touch to the game, but again, Gamefreak. :/

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • One thing I've always been hoping for, however, is extra slots for Pokémon. There would be six primary, and those that are in it would be participate in-battle at any given time. Next, are secondary. Pokémon that are put in secondary slots won't be able to fight unless categorized as primary, but they could, however, use HMs outside. This would be very helpful for some people, including myself.

I love this idea, then we don't have to worry about sacrificing a spot for an HM slave or sacrificing a move for an HM. It would make it much less annoying.

Black-Tigress

Exclusive Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2017
    One thing I detest is when a pokemon needs to be traded in order to evolve..
    ...ugh!!! My dream is to get a shiny onix one day..but it needs metal coat and a trade to evolve.

Now - Who am I gonna trust to actually trade my Shiny onix with - to turn into a steelix, and return it back to me!? I've heard a couple of stories of people with shinies (including a feebas), and when it evolves during the trade, the other person quickly "disconnects" afterwards.

sigh...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I personally hate Stealth Rock and wish Game Freak would nerf the damn thing. But what I've never really liked about the series is the inconsistency with features. I don't get why they put in perfectly good features and content only to not have them in the next games.

Also, +1 to what Ashley said about character customization. I NEED MOAR!

One thing I detest is when a pokemon needs to be traded in order to evolve..
    ...ugh!!! My dream is to get a shiny onix one day..but it needs metal coat and a trade to evolve.

Now - Who am I gonna trust to actually trade my Shiny onix with - to turn into a steelix, and return it back to me!? I've heard a couple of stories of people with shinies (including a feebas), and when it evolves during the trade, the other person quickly "disconnects" afterwards.

sigh...
    Fortunately since you're on PC, there's a number of reputable traders in the Trade Corner who'd be willing to help you out.

Last edited:

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • I personally hate Stealth Rock and wish Game Freak would nerf the damn thing. But what I've never really liked about the series is the inconsistency with features. I don't get why they put in perfectly good features and content only to not have them in the next games.

Also, +1 to what Ashley said about character customization. I NEED MOAR!

Fortunately since you're on PC, there's a number of reputable traders in the Trade Corner who'd be willing to help you out.

How would they nerf Stealth Rock? It seems to be a defining part of today's metagame, good or bad but I don't see it disappearing or being toned down like weather anytime soon. It keeps many offensive Pokemon in check and doesn't allow them to mindlessly sweep through teams. Take Talonflame for example. In addition to recoil, it also has to deal with 50% SR. This allows for more diversity and strategy in the metagame by allowing more pokemon to be viable.

Trading is really annoying, but it's part of the idea that trading will encourage more people to play and this more copies of the game would be bought.

Back