• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That one thing you detest

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    Phoebe's first Dusclops. It always uses protect as the first move, spending my much needed time for absolutely nothing. One of the main reasons I stopped playing that game for a while.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Phoebe's first Dusclops. It always uses protect as the first move, spending my much needed time for absolutely nothing. One of the main reasons I stopped playing that game for a while.

Wow, that does seem like quite a weird reason to stop playing a game. If it uses Protect, it's still an AI at it's core, so it won't be able to scout your moves and retaliate accordingly. Besides, isn't it just a move? You could just use the same move the next turn with no drawbacks because it's AI, and the whole protect turn won't take more than 30 seconds, tops. It just seems pretty weird to stop playing a game because of a single protect though. :/

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Protect can also be useful for stalling out an opponent that's poisoned or burned.

You know, that's a good point. Just not sure if it's worth carrying a slot for it just for that though. Just don't stall out your car.

As far as early game stuff goes, I agree it's a bit slow, but it's good for new players to learn the game without feeling rushed into it. It's not monotonous to me, so I don't worry about it too much. (Also, in X/Y, don't you get a STAB move right off the bat anyway?

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Horde encounters. Seriously. They are pesky and annoying. You can't catch any pokemon until you've defeated all but one. A move like surf would probably knock all of them out, and a single-hit move will cause that turn to take forever to end.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Horde encounters. Seriously. They are pesky and annoying. You can't catch any pokemon until you've defeated all but one. A move like surf would probably knock all of them out, and a single-hit move will cause that turn to take forever to end.

Yeah, not to mention you'd be taking damage for five times when you can only attack once per turn. But you'd be knocking them out in one hit most of the time though, their level is half the level of the wild Pokemon that inhabit the area. I can imagine it being good for some things, maybe grinding or whatnot. But the fact that they don't appear often can help mitigate the problem somewhat, because I'd hate to have a horde battle once in say, five encounters. It'll be over the top annoying and frustrating in general.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I would say Horde Battles also, but at least they make EV training a really easy thing to do, so they can be pushed aside.

Honestly, I hate King's Shield more than I hate Protect. It's probably the reason I hate seeing an opponent use Aegislash, considering I have to be careful with the next move I use. It means I can't hit Aegislash with a Flare Blitz from my Mega Charizard X, meaning I have to go for a non-STAB, non-Tough Claws boosted Earthquake. Can't risk losing my Attack and all.

But hey, at least I can use status against KS. Not that I ever do, of course.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • You know, that's a good point. Just not sure if it's worth carrying a slot for it just for that though. Just don't stall out your car.

As far as early game stuff goes, I agree it's a bit slow, but it's good for new players to learn the game without feeling rushed into it. It's not monotonous to me, so I don't worry about it too much. (Also, in X/Y, don't you get a STAB move right off the bat anyway?
    It'd probably only be worth carrying Protect on a competitive Pokemon with a very specialized purpose, but what do I know.

Yes, XY are a lot better with early moveset progression than other games; that initial STAB move was very much appreciated. And even though I feel that the new Exp. Share is rather OP and could use an overall nerf, it helped reduce some of the tedium in those early parts. I just hope these are advantages that carry on to later games. Game Freak kind of does have a history with experimenting with new quality of life things, only to remove them in the very next game.

Years
  • AI trainers in-game that spam Protect/Detect. They love to drain your PP for such a pointless purpose, and that's what makes me grind my gears (or as I could say, Klinks). And I also agree with what was mentioned about King's Shield (and its variant Spiky Shield) because it makes me want to go for a special move just to avoid the Attack lowering side-effect.

And any wild Pokemon who spam status moves. Yeah, I get mad at anything that does it, even certain hordes are notorious for it. Looking at you, damned Wingull hordes and your confusion spam.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • And any wild Pokemon who spam status moves. Yeah, I get mad at anything that does it, even certain hordes are notorious for it. Looking at you, damned Wingull hordes and your confusion spam.

Anyone who spams status moves in general. Like, no, I'd rather not use all my Full Heals against you, thank you very much.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    I always dislike HMs.

The moves are fine, but the field use of them sucks.
    Having to waste a perfectly good move space, just to chop down a tree, or surf across the ocean.

It would be alot simplier to have, as LOTS of people suggest, Key Items to do the field moves.
    Like, SurfBoard/Canoe/Raft. Pickaxe. Power Gloves. Flash Light. Diving Gear. Climbing Gear. Water Climbing Gear. Etc ETc.

FOr those who suggest "HM SLAVES".
    I don't see why I should give up the sixth place in my perfect team, for a slave to cut hack slash smash push swim through everything.
    I'd rather items.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I always dislike HMs.

The moves are fine, but the field use of them sucks.
    Having to waste a perfectly good move space, just to chop down a tree, or surf across the ocean.

It would be alot simplier to have, as LOTS of people suggest, Key Items to do the field moves.
    Like, SurfBoard/Canoe/Raft. Pickaxe. Power Gloves. Flash Light. Diving Gear. Climbing Gear. Water Climbing Gear. Etc ETc.

FOr those who suggest "HM SLAVES".
    I don't see why I should give up the sixth place in my perfect team, for a slave to cut hack slash smash push swim through everything.
    I'd rather items.
    Or like, why can't certain Pokemon just be able to do these things naturally without having to learn it via an HM? I'm pretty sure most Water types know how to swim, why do I need to teach it Surf when it should know how to swim in the first place? Ya know, just be able to cross the ocean if you have a Water type in your party.

Or at least make the moves useful in battle. The only not-****** HM moves battle wise are Surf and Waterfall (and Fly for in-game battles).

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I think the matter of Cut would be improved a bunch if they would just admit that it should be a Bug type move. I mean it's meant for chopping down trees, sounds like the kind of move that should be super effective to grass types to me. And Strength should be fighting type.

My actual reason for complaining here today, is the fact that you can be locked into battle if you are slower than your opponent. While this works fine in party based games like Final Fantasy, it didn't carry over well to Pokemon. Crossing oceans easily becomes the most tedious task on the planet if you can't run away from the Tentacool that are so wide spread. I was over ten levels higher than the bloody things and STILL couldn't run away. The chance to escape should be more effected by level than speed imo.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Hordes good and bad good for finding shinies bad for finding a pokemon u want on ur team cause low level and bad very annoying

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Yeah, it does increase your chances of finding a shiny because you're looking at five Pokemon or more. But the main reason to include hordes was for easier and less painful grinding now and then and also to include hidden abilities, as well as to obtain exclusive Pokemon for hordes. After you get access to an EXP share or master the art of switching out your weak Pokemon for the EXP, it isn't as painful as before if you didn't have an EXP share of sorts.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I would choose the option for freedom of speech. Our Pokemon journeys are supposed to be ours, not the same as others. I believe it would be nice if they implemented something as where in certain parts in the story you have the option to choose what you wish to do or say. For instance like with many games but one comes to mind is Skyrim. You talk to a quest giver or npc and 3-5 options come up on what you wish to say and ect.

They kind of done this in Pokemon X & Y at the beginning of the game but after that we didn't see much more of it.

SlightlyWinged

Hyped for OR/AS!
    Years
  • Roaming legendaries. Actually getting to them in the first place is a complete head-****

Oh God yes, I hate them so much I don't even bother with them unless I really want to fill my dex. Which I'm trying to do now, so they're a real pain in the ***. :/

I have Entei at a sliver of health, he's asleep, and even using Mean Look and throwing Ultra Balls, he keeps busting out! Then when he wakes up he uses roar and I have to hunt for him all over again.

Whoever thought of Roaming Legendaries should be fired. DX

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yeah, roaming legendaries could be such a big hassle at times.

Usually, though, I go with some strategy of sorts (keeping Crobat on your team to use Mean Look, using Spore, damaging them, and so forth) to make sure that they don't escape. Even with that, things are still tough. Last time I've tried capturing one, which was about three months ago in Pokémon Platinum--Cresselia, if I remember right--it took me approximately three weeks. Very long time.

Wish there were other methods to get around capturing Pokémon like these, but unfortunately, there is none.

Years
  • You know something that's a bit odd? In HGSS when you would run into the roaming legendaries, you would always get a chance to act before they would do anything, so if you were slower you'd get in a hit or status before they flee. But in Platinum and every game prior, if they were faster they'd just flee. Does give you some chance to try to catch them early on even if you're slow, but still a bit unusual that it wasn't until that late that it happened.

Back