• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious The 2020 U.S. Election (Biden wins)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Today's the day.

The main focus is obviously the presidency, but other things are on the ballot too, like seats in both houses of Congress and local stuff. Normally we more or less know who the winner is early the next day, but that's likely not going to happen this year, so we may be in for a long few days (or even longer).

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm dreading the aftermath. The last thing needed this year is more violence.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I just want this shit to be over with because I'm tired of hearing about it.

Years
  • Biden probably wins by the end of the week (by which time Arizona, Georgia, and Pennsylvania might finish counting) but Trump beat the polls.

Years
  • Biden could win the most votes but Trump may just Actually Win because of the electoral college or whatever. Where is that a democracy?

Years
  • I think Biden is gonna win the election with how things look. Dems will keep the house, and the republicans possibly will keep the Senate. I have voted, but I really don't trust our government.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I'm just tired of all the Trump shit and him doing all the crap he's doing to stop counting and then filling lawsuits. Like dude you sucked as President as much as you sucked as a businessman. We get it no 9ne wants to lose but he's just acting like a childish joke.

Years
  • I hate that it's so close. Trump really does have a cult of personality because he's been absolute shit as president and has done nothing about COVID.

Years
  • So I am looking at the electoral map. If Biden takes Nevada he will squeak by with exactly the 270 number of the electoral college required to be declared president, . Could Trump end up taking that state instead? Yes. It's not impossible. When I looked at the map this morning Biden had 49.33% to Trump's 48.69% with counting at just 75% of the vote. I don't normally link to Fox news, but the numbers and diagram of the regions I found very helpful to give me the full picture.

https://www.foxnews.com/elections/2020/general-results

If Biden fails to win Nevada, then I think Trump will be re-elected, even though Biden has more of the electoral college and popular vote at this moment, because Nevada is the last state still reporting where Biden is showing a lead. The rest of the states on the map all are leaning in Trump's direction and have a larger amount of the vote already counted. If Trump was able to hold onto Nevada then this is what is leftover of the key states Pennsylvania, Georgia and North Carolina.

Trump leads in Pennsylvania, 50.72% to Biden's 48.13 with 89% of the vote counted. In Georgia Trump leads 49.57 with Biden at 49.20, and 98% of the vote counted at the time of writing. North Carolina has Trump at 50.09%, Biden 48.69% with 94% of the vote reported.

Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night.

Last edited:
    Years
  • What surprises me is Georgia. It's been red for decades. Even when Obama ran and galvanized the large African-American population there it still wasn't enough to turn it blue, he lost that both times in 2008 and again in 2012 and it wasn't even close. Even when it went democratic 30 years ago for Bill Clinton that was a very different circumstance than the one today because you had a genuinely competitive third party candidate in Ross Perot who carved out a double digit percentage of a conservative leaning vote.

Georgia now leaning blue by a nose with Biden at 49.40% and Trump 49.37% was a plot twist indeed.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Multiple news outlets have called Pennsylvania and Nevada for Biden just now (1 2 3), meaning that Joe Biden is now to be the next president of the United States.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I imagine that right now a lot of people are excited or are breathing a sigh of relief. There is unfortunately nothing to be excited or relieved about though. This is not America's new dawn.

Donald Trump is/was an awful president and never should've gotten into the White House in the first place, but I think that people are too hung up on how unsubtly terrible he is. People have forgotten that the pre-Trump status quo wasn't any good either. People don't understand that we didn't get to the situation of 21st century America just because of one person or one political party. The Democrats are at worst simply the other side of the same coin that the Republicans are on, and at best too weak to stand up to them.

Biden will simply give the illusion that things are better. Biden is a career politician who knows how to play this game, he obviously knows not to behave like Trump or say things in the way that he does. We are talking about a man who has adamantly been against single-payer healthcare the entire time (and that position has been officially endorsed by the Democratic party itself). Who played his part in our student debt crisis and prison problem. Who has said on national television that "nothing will fundamentally change" in regards to the ultra-rich. Who can't even bring himself to legalize marijuana at the federal level. And so on. And the thing is, nobody is going to pressure Biden to keep his campaign promises or to pursue real progress, because for the next 4 years all that will be going through most people's heads will be something along the lines of "I'm so glad the bad orange man isn't in office anymore!!!!!". Criticisms will be met with "just shut up and be glad Trumps's not president anymore, it'd be worse if it was him".

Some people might be thinking right now that well, even if Biden's not that great, there's still all the other elections too, those are important and where things will get better, right? The problem is though is that the same issue with the presidency repeats itself in congressional elections, in state elections, in local elections.

So now people might be thinking "but it was still still important that this happened so that the country didn't implode so we can try again and do better in 2024". Try again? Ha. You know what's going to happen in 2024 and all future elections in our lifetimes? The American people will continue to reject the candidates that would really do this country the things it needs in favor of the next Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden, as they have always done. The few people who make it through into less powerful offices that are progressive and/or check off diversity boxes are simply just that--a few, and so will never have the numbers to make meaningful change in this country. Any candidates or movements that gain a lot of momentum will simply be crushed by the establishment.

The nightmare did not begin with Trump in 2016, and it will not end with Biden in 2020/2021. It swirls and churns unending, you see.

Last edited:
    Years
  • While I am satisfied that Trump will not be president come January 20, 2021, I am still feeling a bit down at the outcome. I've lost friends today because of our differing opinions (when I really fucking wish things can just be apolitical between us), and I have friends who I agree with politically that I don't agree with by telling off those who did vote for Trump or do not like that Biden is becoming president.

While some may say that I need to accept that they were bad friends, to put it simply--no they were not. We'd still be cool today if politics never crossed our paths at all, and we'd be hanging out without issue regardless of our difference in beliefs or who we voted for.

Years
  • While I am satisfied that Trump will not be president come January 20, 2021, I am still feeling a bit down at the outcome. I've lost friends today because of our differing opinions (when I really fucking wish things can just be apolitical between us), and I have friends who I agree with politically that I don't agree with by telling off those who did vote for Trump or do not like that Biden is becoming president.

While some may say that I need to accept that they were bad friends, to put it simply--no they were not. We'd still be cool today if politics never crossed our paths at all, and we'd be hanging out without issue regardless of our difference in beliefs or who we voted for.

Honestly, a lot of Trump supporters don't have the same priorities or perceptions as the rest of the population. A lot of people got radicalized in their social media bubble over the last four years. I don't think it's fair to blame your falling out on politics, because there has been political differences in America for hundreds of years. The era of Trump and Trumpist conservatism is something new.

Back