• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 3DS Information/Discussion Thread

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
  • I really was skeptical about getting a 3DS at first, but now with all the good games out, I'm considering getting one. Plus there's no doubt in my mind that Gen VI will be the first main series games to be on 3DS. Either that or possibly RSE remakes so might as well get one now so I'm ready for when that happens.

Here's a few questions: Do you guys play your DS games on your 3DS or do you still use your DS system? I know that it's backwards compatible , but I don't want to stop using my DS cause I love it too much to let go. And have you guys traded in your DS when you bought the 3DS?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I would suggest getting Kid Icarus: Uprising for the 3DS. It is quite the fun game, and has a lot of content. (E.g think of Brawl's challenge screen... and now think of a game offering more challenges than that). Main issue with it is that the control scheme may take a while to get used to, but once you are used to it it handles pretty well. Excellent dialogue too.

Years
  • Here's a few questions: Do you guys play your DS games on your 3DS or do you still use your DS system? I know that it's backwards compatible , but I don't want to stop using my DS cause I love it too much to let go.

You can play DS games on the 3DS! So don't worry, it is backwards compatible!​

I don't think that was the question in regards to compatibility, rather which one people prefer.

This is all second hand info, as I don't have a 3DS, but I've done my homework. Because the top screen on the 3DS is a different resolution, you end up with a scaled (ie. stretched to fit the size of the bottom screen) picture in DS games. Originally, this led to blurry images and people did not recommend playing DS games on there if you had a DS available. However, with a later firmware update, they sharpened things up and it doesn't look half as bad.

Most people seem to say that it doesn't look as good as the DSi/DSiXL, but better than or equal to the DS/DS Lite. I hope that helps. :D

Years
  • I don't think that was the question in regards to compatibility, rather which one people prefer.

... /facepalm

I have been running around this morning and skim read the question! XD My bad! :3

I use my DS because, well, I got rid of my 3DS because it was just collecting dust.​

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • I really was skeptical about getting a 3DS at first, but now with all the good games out, I'm considering getting one. Plus there's no doubt in my mind that Gen VI will be the first main series games to be on 3DS. Either that or possibly RSE remakes so might as well get one now so I'm ready for when that happens.

Here's a few questions: Do you guys play your DS games on your 3DS or do you still use your DS system? I know that it's backwards compatible , but I don't want to stop using my DS cause I love it too much to let go. And have you guys traded in your DS when you bought the 3DS?

I use my 3DS for my DS games... I actually gave away my DSi.

If the scaling bothers you, you can have a bordered unscaled screen by holding, I think [Select], when a DS game starts.

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • Here's a few questions: Do you guys play your DS games on your 3DS or do you still use your DS system? I know that it's backwards compatible , but I don't want to stop using my DS cause I love it too much to let go. And have you guys traded in your DS when you bought the 3DS?

Me, I broke my DS before getting a 3DS. I would've sold it otherwise.

You can play DS games on the 3DS! So don't worry, it is backwards compatible!​

True, but keep in mind that DS games don't look as good on the 3DS, unless you don't mind playing with a terrible resolution. They're not very far off, I just thought it was worth noting.

I would suggest getting Kid Icarus: Uprising for the 3DS. It is quite the fun game, and has a lot of content. (E.g think of Brawl's challenge screen... and now think of a game offering more challenges than that). Main issue with it is that the control scheme may take a while to get used to, but once you are used to it it handles pretty well. Excellent dialogue too.

Pretty much this. I've clocked over 30 hours into the game and can easily say it is the best I have played on the 3DS thus far. That being said, I wouldn't recommend this game to casual gamers, unless of course you're willing to put a lot of time into it. As bobandbill mentioned, the controls require a lot of practice. Hell, I'm still learning how to use them!

Last edited:
    Back