• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 493 GBA Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023

The 493 GBA Project

Introduction

In many GBA Pokémon rom hacks, people choose to include Pokémon from Gen IV, and they use badly resized sprites, plus the art style of the Gen IV sprites are completely different from the art style of the Gen III sprites. So the point of this project is to create a set of decent of 64x64 sprites for the first 493 Pokémon, in the art style that is used in Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White.

Rules

*Sprite has to be 64x64
    *The art style of the sprite has to be in the 4th Gen and 5th Gen style.
    *Also, if you choose to use a Gen IV/Gen V sprite, even if it already fits the 64x64 limit, it has to be resized to be relatively the same size as it is in Gen III. For instance, even though Bulbasaur's D/P sprite fits the 64x64 limit, I resized it anyway to match the size it is in R/S/E/FR/LG.

*You are allowed to either:
    -Make a custom sprite
    -Revamp a Gen III sprite
    -Properly resize a Gen IV/Gen V sprite

Also I would really appreciate it if you used the colors used in the Gen V sprite.

If it's hard to understand, take a look at this guideline:
    The 493 GBA Project

Examples

Here's a custom sprite:
    The 493 GBA Project

Here's a revamped Gen III sprite:
    The 493 GBA Project

Here's a properly resized Gen V sprite:
    The 493 GBA Project

The actual project...​

1. Gen I Pokémon (#001 - #151): https://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9346/gridgeni.png
    2. Gen II Pokémon (#152 - #251): https://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7163/gridgenii.png
    3. Gen III Pokémon (#252 - #386): https://img143.imageshack.us/img143/843/gridgeniii.png
    4. Gen IV Pokémon (#387 - #493):

Pokémon:

Generation I:
    Spoiler:

Generation II:
    Spoiler:

Generation III:
    Spoiler:

Generation IV:
    Spoiler:

Also, even though the sheet I posted is in order, you do not have to do it in order. You could pick any random Pokémon from the first four generations. Requesting is unnecessary, all you need to do is just post a decent looking 64x64 sprite, but in the art style used by the 4th Gen and 5th Gen games.

Completed so far: All Pokemon from Bulbasaur to Venonat, plus Lickitung, Kangaskhan, Bayleef, Sceptile, and Duskull.

Approved by Logiedan

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    no posts?
    this is a good idea!
    although its alot of work
    well good luck!

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
    Did two different ones. One doesn't seem to be gen IV (too soft i think), the other seems to be what you asked.
    Did I do that right?

Attachments

• The 493 GBA Project
      treecko2.png
      6.4 KB · Views: 1,258
    • The 493 GBA Project
      treecko.png
      2.2 KB · Views: 1,256
    Years
    The 493 GBA Project
    The 493 GBA Project
    Baylittle and Kangasmall.

Bad pun aside, resizing both to 95% of their size and cleaning them up seems to make the sprites match their Gen III counterparts on a whole. Does this project also cover the Unova Pokémon (I'm assuming not as it's the 493 GBA Project and you say you don't want to see them anyway)?

Also, Frost Pheonix, your "soft" Treecko is not a sprite, and as such don't belong here, I'm afraid. As for the actual sprite, that hasn't been resized manually and as such has got unecessary anti-aliasing around it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    The 493 GBA Project
    The 493 GBA Project
    Baylittle and Kangasmall.

Bad pun aside, resizing both to 95% of their size and cleaning them up seems to make the sprites match their Gen III counterparts on a whole. Does this project also cover the Unova Pokémon (I'm assuming not as it's the 493 GBA Project and you say you don't want to see them anyway)?
    Bayleef looks great, but Kangaskhan's head in the corner has choppy outlining, and I noticed you changed the shading a little. Remember, we're not trying to make them look like their Gen III counterparts, we're just trying to make their size the same as they are in their Gen III sprites. The art style should still be the same as B/W, and all details those games have should be in. For instance, my Clefable sprite is a resized HG/SS one, but if you look closely, you'll notice that I've recolored it to B/W, and thus it has purple wings, a detail that wasn't introduced into the games until B/W (although the official artwork of Clefable has had purple wings since FR/LG). Also, the baby Kangaskhan in the pouch has a really squished head, and some of the outlines look really choppy.

Also yes, it's called the 493 project, not the 649 project. No Unova Pokemon yet. First of all, I don't know what most of them look like, and second of all, I'm including Sinnoh Pokemon because a lot of them are related to Kanto/Johto/Hoenn Pokemon, unlike Unova (and I'm working on a rom base for some special somethings...)

May I edit the Kangaskhan a little? It's almost perfect, it's just the tiny details that bother me. The Bayleef looks awesome.

Did two different ones. One doesn't seem to be gen IV (too soft i think), the other seems to be what you asked.
    Did I do that right?
    Well, um, they look really blurry. And Treecko is a bad choice, since it's B/W sprite is actually smaller than it's R/S/E sprite.

Just for future reference, most Pokemon who have similar sizes to their Gen III sprites will simply use an unchanged 4th Gen/5th Gen sprite (if it's 4th Gen, it has to be recolored to B/W, such as what I did to Jigglypuff). The main focus should be big Pokemon.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    The 493 GBA Project

I tried making a Crobat. It's a bit scratch, a bit from B/W. but mostly from HG/SS.
    Please tell me how I've done for the first time :)

Years
    Is this the kind of thing you're looking for? I made this months ago, but I never had a use for it. xD

The 493 GBA Project

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Wouldn't it be a lot easier to remake the fourth and fifth generation sprites in the GBA style, since the first three generations are already in that style and properly sized?

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    The 493 GBA Project

I tried making a Crobat. It's a bit scratch, a bit from B/W. but mostly from HG/SS.
    Please tell me how I've done for the first time :)
    Excellent, but the HG/SS sprite is a terrible choice, since making it fit 64x64 would make it look smaller than 3rd Gen Crobat. In fact, since all of Crobat's 4th Gen sprites (and it's 5th Gen sprite) would make it look too small if they were to fit, Crobat is best off with a custom sprite or a revamp.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for? I made this months ago, but I never had a use for it. xD

The 493 GBA Project
    The outlining is really sloppy looking. EDIT: Whatever, I'll just clean it up and add it.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to remake the fourth and fifth generation sprites in the GBA style, since the first three generations are already in that style and properly sized?
    Yes, it would be easier (and this is called the 493 Project not 649), but I hate the art style of the sprites used in the 3rd Gen games. Plus, the B/W gave them all colors that resemble their Sugimori art, and it's better to have Pokemon with correct details than incorrectly drawn Pokemon used in the 3rd Gen sprites. I mean, seriously, a lot of Pokemon are horribly off-color in their Gen 3 sprites, such as Salamence. B/W color-corrected most Pokemon (I say most because some Pokemon like Nidoqueen still look different to their Sugimori art). And to be honest, the 3rd Gen sprites (particularly the R/S/E ones) have pretty bad outlining in comparison to the sprites used in the DS games.

EDIT: And I never said remake the sprites in GBA style. The point of this project is to create 64x64 sprites of the first 493 Pokemon in 4th Gen/5th Gen style.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The fourth and fifth generations also gave very welcome sprite updates to a lot of Pokémon, and you've got a bit more sprites in total to choose from (I don't think anyone has only one sprite between DP/Platinum/HGSS/BW, whereas some Pokémon, especially Jhoto ones only had one sprite through the 3rd Generation)

The 493 GBA Project

yeah. i don't think anyone wants to see this guy again.

Last edited:

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    Excellent, but the HG/SS sprite is a terrible choice, since making it fit 64x64 would make it look smaller than 3rd Gen Crobat. In fact, since all of Crobat's 4th Gen sprites (and it's 5th Gen sprite) would make it look too small if they were to fit, Crobat is best off with a custom sprite or a revamp.

So mine won't be accepted?
    The 493 GBA Project

Diamond Crobat, resized to the same size as R/S/E Crobat, and I added some feet because the B/W sprite has them. I never read that you wanted them the same colour as the B/W sprites until I had already uploaded it to photobucket so I'll edit later with a new one. Credit is appreciated but not needed.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I've done Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon! I'm not sure if they're proper revamps though.
    The 493 GBA Project
    The 493 GBA Project
    The 493 GBA Project
    The 493 GBA Project

Those sprites aren't in the Generation IV style. They're just Generation III sprites with a new palette taken from Gen IV sprites. The use of shading between Gen III and IV was changed considerably along with how outlines are coloured.

Last edited:

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years
    Those sprites aren't in the Generation IV style. They're just Generation III sprites with a new palette taken from Gen IV sprites. The use of shading between Gen III and IV was changed considerably along with how outlines are coloured.
    Well, I suck at shading, resizing and scratching, so I guess I'll be leaving this thread until I learn how to do one of those things properly.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    The Eeveevolutions won't be accepted for reasons that Mega Shock stated. Also don't do Kanto Pokemon, I've decided I'm going to do all Kanto Pokemon since I've made decent progress with it:
    https://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9346/gridgeni.png

I'm too lazy to update the first post, yeah, it says up to Venonat, but I've actually done up to Geodude.

So mine won't be accepted?
    The 493 GBA Project

Diamond Crobat, resized to the same size as R/S/E Crobat, and I added some feet because the B/W sprite has them. I never read that you wanted them the same colour as the B/W sprites until I had already uploaded it to photobucket so I'll edit later with a new one. Credit is appreciated but not needed.
    Um, you know what, just let me do Crobat.

BrainChord

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    I enjoy the fact that you are making this project... It will be far easier to insert sprites when the actual resizing is completed preinsertion. I will gladly help re-size gen V sprites for you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back