• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: The 4th gen class split in 3rd gen

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    I have a problem. I applied the patch to a FireRed rom but I don't know what I have to do next. How do I change the moves to Special or Status? And how do I insert the images for each category?

Thanks

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I have a problem. I applied the patch to a FireRed rom but I don't know what I have to do next. How do I change the moves to Special or Status? And how do I insert the images for each category?

Thanks

Okay. In order to change the move categories:
    In many of the new move editors, there should just be a section that allows you to change the byte. Check out the tools section.

For the images, you're gonna need to know how to insert ASM and images. Look through the thread for Darthatron's post containing the ASM code and the images. You also need to get a Hex editor in order to perform the byte changes he has laid out as well.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Okay. In order to change the move categories:
    In many of the new move editors, there should just be a section that allows you to change the byte. Check out the tools section.

For the images, you're gonna need to know how to insert ASM and images. Look through the thread for Darthatron's post containing the ASM code and the images. You also need to get a Hex editor in order to perform the byte changes he has laid out as well.

Yes, with Gamer2020's PGE I can edit if a move is Physical, Special or Status. That's it? I don't need to hex edit anything?

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yes, with Gamer2020's PGE I can edit if a move is Physical, Special or Status. That's it? I don't need to hex edit anything?

Yep for the catergories, that's it. I'ts much easier now than when this was first released.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Yes, with Gamer2020's PGE I can edit if a move is Physical, Special or Status. That's it? I don't need to hex edit anything?
    editing the move to be one of those categories with pge will make it physical, special, or status, yes.

if you want images, you need to find the asm code for that made public by darthatron a while ago and follow his mini-tutorial on it :P

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Perhaps I'm too idiot, but I can't make this thing work.

Patching the game with the P/S split patch: done
    Inserting the graphics with NSE 2: done
    Inserting the ASM routine into the free space of my FR rom: done

But I don't know what other bytes I have to edit to make it run. That's all I've got. I need help :(

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Perhaps I'm too idiot, but I can't make this thing work.

Patching the game with the P/S split patch: done
    Inserting the graphics with NSE 2: done
    Inserting the ASM routine into the free space of my FR rom: done

But I don't know what other bytes I have to edit to make it run. That's all I've got. I need help :(

Well, you go into a hex editor, go to the addresses mentioned in Darthatron's post and change the bytes there to the ones he has mentioned.

For the one about the pointer, take the address you inserted the routine at. e.g/ ABCDEF
    split it into sections of 2: AB CD EF, swap the first and last: EF CD AB
    and stick 08 at the back: EF CD AB 08
    And he says at 1 to it, so its more like: EF+1 CD AB 08

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Well, you go into a hex editor, go to the addresses mentioned in Darthatron's post and change the bytes there to the ones he has mentioned.

For the one about the pointer, take the address you inserted the routine at. e.g/ ABCDEF
    split it into sections of 2: AB CD EF, swap the first and last: EF CD AB
    and stick 08 at the back: EF CD AB 08
    And he says at 1 to it, so its more like: EF+1 CD AB 08

Which bytes do I have to change with the pointer? The first four?

Edit:

YOU ROCK MAN! I was finally able to do it. Thank you so much.

BJQkcsV.png

Can I make a tutorial on how to do it from scratch, for people who don't know anything about rom hacking?

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Which bytes do I have to change with the pointer? The first four?

Edit:

YOU ROCK MAN! I was finally able to do it. Thank you so much.

BJQkcsV.png

Can I make a tutorial on how to do it from scratch, for people who don't know anything about rom hacking?

No problem man.
    I mean, if you want to. Most people just use a rom base.

Jeesh

I just wanna hack Emerald.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2020
    Attention! For those who can't get on Tlachtli's Phys/Spec/Stat Icon in Emerald, now, listen here:

I've finally got it working and it is very a big success. Thanks Tlachtli! Gonna credit you once I made an Emerald base hack. I used DoesntKnowHowToPlay's Emerald Physical/Special/Status split first. I'll also give you credits too. Here are some screenshots:

em0004___dppt_music_02_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lqz6k.png
    em0004___dppt_music_01_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lqz6m.png
    em0004___dppt_music_03_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lqz6u.png

Tlachtli,
    At the first, I've found your entire work to be not working. But, I tried adding some missing "hows" so I can make this work. Here are some info I want you to change and add:

1.)
    I noticed the part .SplitImages: .word 0x[insert address to images] that there is something's missing to it. You've forgotten to put 08 at the beginning of [insert address to images]. So then, that will be .SplitImages: .word 0x08[insert address to images]. Example, I've made it on offset E43780. So, that will be .SplitImages: .word 0x08E43780.

2.)
    Then, about you're going to change the offsets to inserted ASM address +1, some people would just write and change the inserted ASM address +1 on certain offsets. Example: I have E43668 to be the ASM offset and I've changed and written 6936E4 on 1C0F88, 1c1328, and 1c17a0. When I did it, it froze just like Shufflejoy just commented:

freeze_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lqz6p.png

It is because you just only write and change the inserted ASM address +1. I've noticed the value next to it "03". With 03 next to it, the routine will not ever work.

untitled010_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lr0h9.png

So then, try to change 03 to 08.

untitled020_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lr0he.png

It is because with the value 08 next to it, it will locate the routine (or 09 if you put the routine on 1000000+. Ex: you have inserted the routine on 1234568, change and write 69452309). With this, I've finally made it working. Well, I haven't found bugs and glitches when I revised this.

3.)
    This maybe a small problem but I would be big in just one mistake. You may just have inserted the image into compressed image (with unLZ program). Don't use unLZ to insert this. I highly recommend to use NSE 2.1 to insert the image because insertion of images has options is compressed or uncompressed. "Load ROM" then "Open Sprite" then "File => Insert => Image Data".

33t5_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lr0wr.png

Revised Steps
    I also rewrite the complete tutorial about it according to his original tutorial with the revises I made. So, here it is:

1.)
    Insert this image as an uncompressed image...
    TuTazY7.png

Use NSE 2.1 to do so. To insert it on NSE 2.1: First, "Load ROM" load your Emerald file; Second, "Open Sprite" open your sprite; Then, "File => Insert => Image Data"

2A.)
    Insert this ASM...
    If you can't do ASM and/or if you have no idea about ASM at all, proceed to Step 2B.
    Revised ASM:
    Spoiler:

2B.)
    This is an alternate step for 2A for those who can't do ASM. For those who can't do ASM but can do HEX EDITING, below is the hex values of it. Insert this on the offset that ends with 0, 4, 8, C and nothing else.

Spoiler:

If you have inserted the uncompressed image first, replace FE FD FC 08 with the offset where you have inserted the uncompressed image and the offset must be like in this example: Uncompressed image offset: ABCDEF. Mind little endian: AB CD EF. Reverse them: EF CD AB. And finally change FE FD FC 08 to EF CD AB 08. If you have keen eyes, you will not get a mistake doing this.

3.)
    Replace some Hex-Values on offsets...
    Revised Hex Edits:
    Spoiler:

I hope this helps for those who can't make it at the first. It works well, trust me. :)

Okay, this may have already been talked about, but I'm gonna ask it cuz I'm tl;dr-ing on this entire thread '^_^

Everybody is talking about "use the patch and stuff without expanding anything." I used the patch and added the icons on an unexpanded rom, and the whole thing worked (yay). But I want to use expanded moves and 'mons, and when I expand those two aspects after adding this split, it doesn't matter if a move is physical, special, or status: the icon always shows physical. I feel like it's just a table problem that I have to update with expanded numbers, but I haven't found anything that is immensely helpful regarding this problem. Could I get a help?

Btw, If you need an image, just ask.

Last edited:

Froosty

The_Learner
    Years
  • I dont know if I am allowed to this or not,
    but if anyone is facing problem in inserting the PSS split and the icons then you can use the tool linked in my signature to do the task by just clicking a single button,
    but the task of giving the move proper class will be your task :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2017
    Here's an IPS patch that applies version 1.4 of the Emerald patch, has all of the moves set to the correct Physical/Special/Status byte, and has the icons installed and working. Warning: I didn't take note of where I inserted the image or the ASM, so back up your game first.

I've tried clicking the attachment, whenever I click it it's not downloading just going into a blackscreen. Anyone else has a copy of this? or a link? Thanks guys!

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2021
    First, you'll need to insert this ASM somewhere
    Spoiler:

Hi, I wonder how can I edit the position of where the icon is displayed?
    I work with Italian Emerald, and our "power" word is a bit longer (it's "potenza") and the icon gets covered, so I would like to shift it a bit to the right.

EDIT: found it!
    you have to edit
    .IconOAM1: .word 0x40280078
    28 is the X axis
    78 is the Y axis

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2017
    Hey really impressed with this! Sorry to ask but could someone please include a full working patch? I would really appreciate it!

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2018
    Hey really impressed with this! Sorry to ask but could someone please include a full working patch? I would really appreciate it!

https://songsing.github.io/poketool/
    made this after finding some splitting patches that were slightly wrong, so i fixed them up and made it really easy to patch your game (you dont need to download anything except the patched ROM it generates). it includes the split as well as actually modifying the moves and including the icons.
    let me know if anything is still wrong and ill fix it

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2017
    I'm having a problem as when I try to look at the summery of the Pokemon the screen goes black and when I battle my rival the game just restarts. Thanks for the reply tho really appreciate it!

Froosty

The_Learner
    Years
  • I'm having a problem as when I try to look at the summery of the Pokemon the screen goes black and when I battle my rival the game just restarts. Thanks for the reply tho really appreciate it!

You probably did some mistake in byte replacement.
    or routine repoint.
    check that once again from the beginning.

Back