• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the 4th wall

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • the 4th wall
    the 4th wall

the 4th wall

What are some of your favorite 4th wall breaking moments in gaming?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Kid Icarus Uprising: the thread

Palutena: Bows are a really good fit for you.
    Pit: Yeah, I've been using them for a long time.
    Palutena: They're well suited for ranged attacks, and they split into blades for close combat. They're very well-rounded weapons.
    Pit: Oh, I know. I used them in the last brawl.
    Palutena: Brawl?! How horrible! Were you hurt?
    Pit: No way, it was a smash!
    Palutena: I just can't imagine you in a melee.
    Pit: That's because I wasn't.
    Palutena: I'll help you prepare for the battles ahead, Pit.
    Pit: Thanks! I'm honored to be at your service, Lady Palutena! But before we get started, there's something I've been meaning to ask you.
    Palutena: And what's that?
    Pit: Who is this "Icarus" guy this game is named after? Can I meet him?
    Palutena: Uhm...Actually, no. But let's not worry about that.
    Pit: ...why not? What happened to Icarus?
    Palutena: Let's just focus on you right now.
    Palutena: Quickly flick the circle pad in any direction to dash that way. Hold it to run.
    Pit: That move feels so familiar.
    Palutena: I think they used it in that one series, "Super Bash Sisters."
    Pit: You mean "Super Smash Bros."?
    Palutena: Uh, I don't think it was that.
    Pit: It's definitely that.
    Pit: Ok, so we've got rolling obstacles.
    Viridi: And don't forget the jump pads.
    Pit: Something seems familiar about this...
    Hades: I guess the Chariot Master has played Donkey Kong.
    Hewdraw 2: Look how far you've come, Pit! I'm proud of you. *dies*
    Pit: Huh. You don't usually meet such nice bosses.
    Pit: Not this guy!
    Palutena: An eggplant wizard.
    Pit: But I don't wanna be an eggplant again!
    Palutena: Way back when, you had to visit a nurse to get fixed up, remember?
    Pit: I was there so much they named the place after me. Hos-PIT-al. Get it?
    Palutena: ...
    Pit: It's funny. It's okay to laugh!
    Palutena: No, it's really not.
    Pit: Twinbellows! Here, boy! Old Pit's gonna teach you even MORE new tricks! And if you're good, I'll take you for a walk and give you a bath and a treat. We're gonna rack up some serious Nintendogs trainer points together!
    Palutena: Focus, Pit.
    And the best...everyone has to see it for themselves.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Ah yes, KI:U was pretty good with that. Especially with the credits bonus. :)

Gotta mention the Paper Mario series about it, especially TTYD and SPM. You have a whole bunch, like the Underwhere, in which NPCs lament mistakes that cost them their last life in games, and Lord Crump in TTYD ('Hey you! In front of the T.V.! It may be pretty obvious to you who I really am, but no telling Mario! Or else!').

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    This is the one that came to mind. This is from Ratchet and clank 2 BTW
    Plumber: "See you next year."
    Clank: "What did he mean by that?"

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I like how Mother 3 asks for your name. And you think, "wtf...why does it need my name?" and in the end, when the screen is black, the characters ask if YOU are okay. After spending the whole game attaching yourself to these characters and the world, only to end in tears, it cheered me up immensely that something like that was included in the game. I don't know. It made me feel better. Most heartwarming 4th wall breaking moment goes to that, haha.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Ah, got to agree with that. Best usage of the 4th wall breaking, leastways for non-comedic purposes.

It's also amusing with it when it asks you for your favourite thing and whatnot, and then uses it in the game too. The best attack remains PK PASTRIES.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
  • Metal Gear is notorious for ignoring the fourth wall now and again, although my favorite has to be Psycho Mantis' intro in MGS1:

[ame]https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x948yc_metal-gear-solid-the-twin-snakes-ps_videogames[/ame]

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • oh god, Kid Icarus Uprising was the King of those; especially this one from Hades:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd2Etn-BUEE[/ame]

Hades: Well, I must say I am impressed. Such a teeny little angel defeating such a big, bad god of the Underworld. Why, Pitty... that must make you the most powerful Nintendo character of all time! I'm actually rather proud of you. 8-bit Pit would have never made it this far. But don't worry, I'm not going to tear up the credits again. The game really is over. Which is why I'm here to delete your save data! 1, 2, 3, GONE!

'(screen goes black...then comes back)

Hades: Nawwww, I'm just messing with you, buddy.. Settle down. Your saves are, er, safe. I mean, I don't even have a body anymore. Couldn't delete a save file if I wanted to. I'm not even sure I can be resurrected in this state. There's the real tragedy. This dashing physique, this literally godly body, gone forever?! Ladies everywhere are no doubt weeping as we speak! Your fault! Oh, well. I'll figure something out. I have, what, 25 years until the next sequel?

Last edited:
    Back