• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The 8000 legendries of Gen IV.

CSonic_

Banned
Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2009
    Dialga
    A dragon doesn't have to have wings to be a dragon. That's like saying why Dratini is a dragon type?

Palkia
    It looks like a dragon. I don't understand why you don't think it does.

Mirage Pokemon
    Yeah, there epic fails. How does Team Galactic make the Red Chain now, huh? Besides, they were fun to catch.

Giratina
    It's not confusing, in my opinon. It has two different forms in two different worlds.

Cresselia
    I guess Bidoof was pointless, considering how many pure normal type pokemon there are that aren't Legendary.

Darkrai
    I really have no disagree here.

Manaphy and Phione
    Truth on what you said.

Regigigas
    Then buy Platinum and catch them in there.

Shaymin
    It's stats. Only Legends have 100 in each stat, I think.

Arceus
    Arceus is an overrated sheep. It's a pokemon, deal with it. Dialga created time, but it can be caught in a plastic ball.

Heatran
    Yes, the typing is horrible. It doesn't look like Marowak at all, even deformed. And the boy/girl concept is stupid (it being a legend, that is), but look at Latios and Latias. They're good pokemon and have genders. Same with Heatran.

Years
  • Just sticking to the topic at hand I feel there are too many pokemon considered legendary, especially in this generation which leads to most of them not feeling as special. Coming from the days when the legendary pokemon where kept to a minimum and when they weren't tied to the plot made them on some level feel legendary. The fact that you had to hunt out a Lugia or Zapdos etc was part of the fun, now they are seemingly forced on the player in a way. I'm not against this generations legendaries as a whole as I prefer Dialga/Palkia/Giratina to Gen 3's main legendaries. But I will admit to finding the fact that they have four psychic legendaries in the one generation as a massive design flaw. The key I think is quality over quantity...

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
  • one mewtwo,dialga,palkia and giratina its just way back in history there was many but with shieldon etc they must wiped out like the dinosaurs.
    I'm guessing at least

:/ No. Only one Mewtwo, my dear.

I think that... Maybe... Sinnoh had too many legends for a mainstream game. However, if you consider all the side quests and games, they make more sense.
    Darkrai in the second ranger game, as well as in PMD2, for example.

I do not believe that any of them are really useless, though I do agree that Phione isn't the most interesting of creatures. I think we could have done without it, maybe.

I'm not big on competitive (spelling??) , but I think I'm right in saying that Azelf is pretty useful...
    The lake trio could have had different types, perhaps, but useless they are not. In relation to the storyline, they were really quite important. They were also useful to the PMD2 storyline.

That's my bit, though I'm not sure it really made much sense... :/

xX

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    13 normal pokemon for every 1 legendary you see? that's too many legendaries.
    well, there is a simple solution to this problem.
    *Fires super-sharp-ninja-cookie-blaster at legendary pokemon*
    *Evil laugh* Hahahaha!
    XD

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Man another legendary hating guy........
    Really , the only legend I ever used was Giratina.... I just used it to beat that annoying Lucian in the E4 . In th rest just caught them and let dust fall on them on boxes........____________________________________________________________

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
  • I agree that it was a little extreme to make such a large amount of legendaries. I don't have a problem with there being so many legendaries throughout all the generations.. they each play their own part in each region.. (or most of them do, anyway). What I think is irritating is that half of generations IV's legendaries aren't obtainable through regular gameplay. I remember a time when you had the opportunity to catch all the legendaries without all these "events" (besides the 1 that you would need the event for). I think that it's more sensible to stick to 5-8 legendaries per region. But hey, I just play the games, I don't make them.

michele

☮ & ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    my take on the legendaries is: who the f*ck cares how many there are and how they differ from the ~zomg osm gen I/II lejundairys~. get over it.

....sorry if i sound like an ass, but i'm so sick of people b!tching about the most pointless things. :|

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
  • The amount of legends this time around was a bit silly, but at least the new legends have good back stories that are worthy of the term legend. The Gen.1 legends were just rare Pokemon.

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
  • The number of Legendaries in Gen IV was a bit over the top. I personally found the fact that they had four Psychic legendaries in one game distressing. 'Course, Gen I/II's legendaries weren't really tied to the plot like Gen III/IV's are. The older legendaries have no backstories. ;-;

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
    Years
  • I'm okay with the legendaries, except for Arceus. They kinda fell into a hole in that one. Legendaries get more powerful and 'important' as the games go on. So, if Arceus is the God Pokemon, what's left for the future generations?

I also think that Darkrai and Cresselia could have been better as a non-legendary pair, as well as Shaymin. They're not really vital to the storyline.

Years
  • Well there's certainly too many of them...
    I personally think that Shaymin and Manaphy should stay, because they're cute (I like female pokemon, and I consider them female).
    Dialga and Palkia and Giratina are okay, they fit in. But the rest are just excess that weren't needed.
    Although, I liked the sidequest with Arceus in HGSS, so I don't know if that changes my mind or not.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    My thoughts on the thread:

1) Don't assume that anything pre-3rd generation is inherently superior to anything afterwards, and discount anyone with an alternate opinion.
    2) Don't assume that anyone who dislikes the post-3rd generation legendaries is a hater with blind nostalgia.
    3) "If you don't like it, don't play it" is a moronic thing to say - how would anyone know whether they liked it or not before playing it?
    4) Read people's posts before replying to them.

My thoughts on the legendaries:

Diagla/Palkia/Giratina - I personally don't like how any of them look (though I don't mind Giratina), but some do and regardless, they were integral to the storyline.

Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf - Relevant to the storyline, and every generation needs a trio (I know that Dia/Pal/Gira are technically a trio, but not in the same way as U/M/A) and they were important to the plot. It made perfect sense for them to all be Psychic-type, though they perhaps could have done with different sub-typings to differentiate them a bit more. Mesprit filled the "roamer" requirement.

Arceus - I have very few qualms with him. I'm fine with his legend and it certainly doesn't stop GF from creating any more legendaries. Legendaries do not have to get more powerful with each generation - R/S's boxart legendaries are actually weaker than G/S's. I don't love his design, but he filled an excellent niche, was the master of two integral trios, and was this generation's obligatory event legendary.

Manaphy (and Phione) - Not technically an event legendary, and is independent of all other legendaries, meaning it was different enough to justify itself in this generation - and its unprecedented ability to breed again made it unique. By association, I also approve of Phione. One problem I had was that its backstory was minimal and uninteresting.

Regigigas – Really should have been introduced in the third generation. The Regis needed a master, and this supplied it.

Cresselia/Darkrai – OK, their story is fine. In fact, I quite like it. But were they really needed? Would anyone have missed them if they were gone? Darkrai was yet another event legendary that many people won't be able to get, and we already had a roamer. It also seemed odd that one half of a duo was available in-game, but the other not. They didn't add anything to the main storyline, they were just sort of….. there.

Heatran – Surely we didn't need this guy? I'm barely aware of what this guy's legend even is, and it seemed as though the gender thing was slapped on at the last minute to somehow justify its existence by making it slightly different. The worst thing is that, unlike say Mew, Shaymin or Entei, this guy doesn't even look like he's capable of having a gender!

Shaymin – Yet another event legendary that has even less of a legend than Heatran. I have absolutely no idea why it exists – sure it looks kinda cute, but then surely it could have just been a regular Pokemon? What is at all legendary about it?

So to sum up, there were too many legendaries in this generation, and too few of them were obtainable in-game. The more legendaries there are, the less legendary each of them become. Also, many had little or no legend behind it, and were completely unrelated to the plot, therefore leading to the question – why were they there?

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    I'm quite tired of hearing things like this.
    Although Charmageddon has a point in saying that not all 3rd and 4th gen haters are blinded by nostalgia, most are. It doesn't matter if there are a ton of legendaries, they're still legendary. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but many cultures had 100's of gods! So, pokemon having 40 or so legendaris isn't that big of a deal, to me at least. Also, I think the new legendaries are BETTER than the older ones. Most of the older legendaries were just "elementals". Now, the new legendaries actually have a purpose. Dialga for time, darkrai for nightmares, and, yes, even heatran has a purpose. The steel type thing is a bit weird, but he still has a lot more going for him that "oh yeah im a bird with ice powerz rawr". Don't get me wrong, I like articuno. I'm just able to admit that it is fairly pointless as far as legendaries go.

In conclusion: Fourth gen/Third gen legendaries > First gen/Second gen legendaries.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    Dialga, Palkia, Giratina - a great region's trio. The dragon thing is cool, and Giratina's double forms are AWESOME.

Mirage - meh, just let them be.

Cresselia - so now you have a legendary psychic, not a regular Pokemon. Who cares, just let it slide.

Darkrai - really nice concept of catching, nice Pokemon, same as Cresselia.

Manaphy and Phione - lol that's too awesome IMO. A Poke that you can breed but then it can't evolve back? What a nice concept for a legendary. Cute little things.

Regigigas - then you'll trade in the damn unlimited-to-location WiFi for it, or get it by the ToysRus(w/e) event so you'd catch the 3 regis too. And why wouldn't a Pokemon fan have RSE (I mean one of them)? You can run them in the DS, the graphic isn't like GSC (I mean, before HGSS), and it's a really nice game. Though seriously, everything is possible with WiFi nowadays.

Shaymin - sky Shaymin doesn't fit your gross generalization. And it's cute XD

Arceus - since when Pokeballs are plastic balls? Those are very complicated machines. Kind of imaginary capsules, that also make it comfortable for living objects.
    And by the way, seriously, use your brain please. Are monsters real? Can a human-looking alien with a monkey's tail just scream and turn his hair to golden? Can you be drained into your computer where a "digital world" exists? Can you put a soul into your body, scream "SHAMAN KING" and use imaginary swords? Can you put a card of a blue dragon with 3 heads so it'll appear in front of you and hurt your enemy's "life points"?
    And most importantly, can you run the capital, and the biggest city in your region in 2 seconds even when you are walking?
    - No. So why messing with "non-sense" in a whole non-sense game/Anime.

Heatran - who gives a damn. You have a strong Fire/Steel Pokemon that looks like it was born in a volcano. Don't worry be happy.

Years
  • Has any one ever stopped and thought about this little detail, Pokemon legendaries are similar to the Greek/Roman gods.
    Arceus; ruler of all pokemon - Zeus; ruler of all
    Kyogre; ruler of the sea(or something like that) - Poseidon; ruler of the sea
    Dialgia; ruler of time - Chronos; ruler/creator of time
    etc, etc.

If you also look at Japanese mythology many of the gods are similar to the pokemon legendaries.

So, yes there might have been a lot of legendaries for this gen, but there are also more spin-off games that involve them. And isn't the whole point of pokemon to "catch em all", not complain because they put more pokemon that are a a bit more challenging than fighting bidoofs over and over again.
    This is what makes pokemon unique, you can never truly beat it. Ya you can beat the E4 and all the other goodies, but the pokemon will be there to train to higher levels, trainers will want to rebattle all over the region, and just because you have the legendaries in your PC dosent make you good at the game. You can never sit the game down and say there is nothing more for me to do or collect in this game, because there is always more. People dont complain when a shooter or other rpg has a huge number of bosses, because it makes it challenging and fun. But when pokemon does it people whine because there are so many legendaries/bosses.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Nintendo failed in making better looking legendaries.
    The only good ones in the newer games are... Rayquaza, Jirachi, Shaymin and Giratina.

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • OMG I hate people like you god why do u play pokemon if u whine and complain about everything be happy there will always be something wrong with it so build a bridge walk across and get over it

Back