• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Alola Friendly Competition: Hints of upcoming Pokemon Bank Update?

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
  • On the Pokemon Global Link, the details of the Alola Friendly Competition have been announced. The link is included below.
    https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/173540c6-ac2a-4d47-b5db-b9a2a197607e

For those who don't feel like reading it, here are the details.

The primary unique restriction for the competition is that you may only use pokemon found in Alola's pokedex. The question that many of you are likely asking is: how does this make sense? All we can use is pokemon from Alola's Pokedex (With the exception of the limited Island Scanner, which finds a specific set of species not in Alola's dex.)

I'd like to note that registration for this tournament begins January 19th, and the competition itself begins January 27th. The Format will be basically Singles Ranked Battle Spot, and the participation prize is 50 BP (pretty nice prize, if you ask me.)

However, this Alolan only special format simply doesn't make sense for a competition unless the anticipated Pokemon Bank Update comes beforehand. Banning the measly 28 evolutionary lines found through Island Scan isn't some special competition. Most of the Island scan Pokemon aren't even competitively great anyways.

So, what do you think? Is the Alola Friendly competition the horn to signal Pokemon Bank's Update? I think so. If not, Game Freak just enjoys toying with my emotions or something. Who Knows, right?

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • There are other ways to get "non Alolan" Pokemon in your game than Pokemon Bank and Island Scanner. If you have CFW installed on your 3DS, you can literally add any Pokemon you want to your game. Homebrew versions of Pokemon Bank actually work with Sun and Moon already. So in theory, it would be possible to have a completely legitimate Pokemon, that doesn't appear in the Alolan Dex, injected into your version of Sun or Moon. I'm not really into the competitive scene so how well this would officially go over is beyond my scope of judgement. However I can tell you that it certainly is possible to obtain "non-legit, legitimate Pokemon", if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Although this would seem a strange route for Nintendo to go; basically encouraging cheating. I think your speculations are probably accurate.

SirBoglor

Years
  • There are other ways to get "non Alolan" Pokemon in your game than Pokemon Bank and Island Scanner. If you have CFW installed on your 3DS, you can literally add any Pokemon you want to your game. Homebrew versions of Pokemon Bank actually work with Sun and Moon already. So in theory, it would be possible to have a completely legitimate Pokemon, that doesn't appear in the Alolan Dex, injected into your version of Sun or Moon. I'm not really into the competitive scene so how well this would officially go over is beyond my scope of judgement. However I can tell you that it certainly is possible to obtain "non-legit, legitimate Pokemon", if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Although this would seem a strange route for Nintendo to go; basically encouraging cheating. I think your speculations are probably accurate.

There are no other legitimate ways to get non-Alolan mons. You can use CFW/PkHex/etc. if you wanted to, but even calling it semi-legitimate is completely false. Using any homebrewed, modified version of Pokemon bank, Sun/Moon, or modified 3DS software to get these mons is obviously not legitimate in any way.

I'm not trying to disrespect people who hack, since I think some of the reasons for doing it (time restraints with breeding, single player fun) can be understandable. But any Pokemon obtained by using third-party software/hardware is a 100% illegitimate Pokemon.

Years
  • On the Pokemon Global Link, the details of the Alola Friendly Competition have been announced. The link is included below.

For those who don't feel like reading it, here are the details.

The primary unique restriction for the competition is that you may only use pokemon found in Alola's pokedex. The question that many of you are likely asking is: how does this make sense? All we can use is pokemon from Alola's Pokedex (With the exception of the limited Island Scanner, which finds a specific set of species not in Alola's dex.)

I'd like to note that registration for this tournament begins January 19th, and the competition itself begins January 27th. The Format will be basically Singles Ranked Battle Spot, and the participation prize is 50 BP (pretty nice prize, if you ask me.)

However, this Alolan only special format simply doesn't make sense for a competition unless the anticipated Pokemon Bank Update comes beforehand. Banning the measly 28 evolutionary lines found through Island Scan isn't some special competition. Most of the Island scan Pokemon aren't even competitively great anyways.

So, what do you think? Is the Alola Friendly competition the horn to signal Pokemon Bank's Update? I think so. If not, Game Freak just enjoys toying with my emotions or something. Who Knows, right?

didn't they use the alolan pokedex clause in the battle of Alola last month?

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • There are no other legitimate ways to get non-Alolan mons. You can use CFW/PkHex/etc. if you wanted to, but even calling it semi-legitimate is completely false. Using any homebrewed, modified version of Pokemon bank, Sun/Moon, or modified 3DS software to get these mons is obviously not legitimate in any way.

I'm not trying to disrespect people who hack, since I think some of the reasons for doing it (time restraints with breeding, single player fun) can be understandable. But any Pokemon obtained by using third-party software/hardware is a 100% illegitimate Pokemon.

This is open to interpretation, and many people would disagree with you. Personally, I think you're right. But when it comes to Pokemon, many people have many different points of view when it comes to what "cheating" actually is. Perhaps some feel "cheated" by GF, for releasing a Pokemon game with an incomplete 'Dex. I know that's just a play on words but I'm sure you see where I'm coming from.

Anyway like I said, I do agree with you. I was just offering another perspective on the matter.

SirBoglor

Years
  • didn't they use the alolan pokedex clause in the battle of Alola last month?

Yup. The only main difference was that Solgaleo and Lunala were allowed in Battle of Alola, and in this one all Legendaries and Mythicals are off limits. Also, you can only use alolan forms of pokemon. No Kanto originals.

But Battle of Alola was Sun and Moon's first competitive event, thus the purpose was to showcase the cool, brand new lineup of Pokemon. It made sense for the first competition of the seventh generation. But doing the same thing twice? It just doesn't add up.

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    Yep. I'm finding it tedious how no real release date has been given, besides a short notice of releasing this month, when that is essentially what it is on ours calendars...

Besides that I only care about getting my Charmander and Mewtwo for obvious reasons. The rest I don't care about though I'm curious to see how natures, abilities and IVs are for Pokemon transferred from R/B/Y.

Back