• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ancient Pokemon Trainer

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2014
    Hi everybody! In case you're wondering why I call myself the ancient Pokemon trainer, that's because, relative to most, I am. I was born in 1990. I'm now a junior in college. Thanks to brain bugs from playing the old games, I still forget that Magneton is a steel type in Gen 2-6 and therefore has resistance to a lot more moves than it did in RBY, and that Gengar now has levitate to protect it from ground moves that used to annihilate it. I watched the first anime season before I played the games, even though the games came out first. I started playing the series with Stadium, and when I got the Game Boy Advance SP, I started to play Red. When I was a kid and teenager, I only played Red and Stadium. I lost interest in the games after the first time I demolished the Elite Four with only Mewtwo. I also abused the rare candy glitch quite a bit. After that, I didn't play Pokemon for like 7 years. I picked up Red again on a whim and played it straight and all the way, beating the Pokemon League and getting the first 150 Pokemon in the Pokedex (with the help of my cousin, a link cable, another Game Boy, Blue and Yellow of course).

I thought I'd be done after that. But then I got into Crystal. Then, I preordered Y. When I got Y, I beat it much faster than I did any other Pokemon game, like two days even though I had classes. It is definitely my favorite Pokemon game. While waiting for Y, I started playing Sapphire. Yeah, I'm hooked again.

I'm basically the perfect customer for Nintendo, since I'm so OCD that I must try every version, even though the differences are extremely minute. Although, that same difference makes me revile them for requiring more than one game and event attendance to get all the Pokemon (for gen 1-5, I'm obviously screwed, as those events are long past. That really sucks, as Mew is my favorite legendary). Doesn't stop me from buying the games, though.

As for the anime, I loved the Kanto and Orange Islands episodes. It kind of baffles me that Nintendo never made a Pokemon RPG taking place there. The Johto League episodes were great, but it seemed like Ash lost all of his accumulated knowledge and got rid of most of his useful Pokemon (eg Charizard) from Kanto and Johto, except Pikachu (which seemed to lose a lot of its power for no reason). That was frustrating to watch, and things got even worse in that regard in Advance Battle.
    I find it incredibly ridiculous that May beat Ash, considering he had three times her experience (and so did his Pikachu compared to her Pokemon). It was a major insult to his character. That, and I felt like the show would have been much better had there been no Max, and had May been more like she was in Sapphire. It's like they split her personality and knowledge from the games into her brother and her on the show. After Advanced Battle, I stopped watching.

My aspiration is to recreate Team Rocket, and conquer the world with them, as Team Flare is a bunch of wackos with horrible outfits and hair, (well, except Lysandre. He's a wacko with good fashion sense).

Last edited:
    Years
  • Being born in 1990s actually makes you about the average age for members here. :3 I was born in 1991 and have been a Pokemon fan since 1999.. so that's over half of my life now, haha, and I'm 22! Pretty awesome that Pokemon continues to be great and has so many fans in their 20s, 30s, 40s and beyond. Welcome to the forum!

Ahh the rare candy glitch sure brings back lots of memories. I abused it/the Missingno glitch more than you could imagine and got my full team to 100 that way.. so I'd come into the E4 with a severely overpowered team. Though regarding glitches, my most fond memory was the Shaymin glitch in the Japanese versions of Diamond and Pearl; that one had a chance to erase your game so I was practically shaking when going through it, ungh. But it was too hard to resist!

Speaking of Charizard in the anime, though.. did you know Ash reunited with him in the Black & White anime saga? :) I was ecstatic to see him again! Hope you have an amazing stay here on PC and be sure to let the staff know if you need anything. <3

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2014
    You're the Ancient Pokémon Trainer, I'm the Pokémon Legend... We get all sorts here, eh?

Haha, for sure. I'm glad I'm not a weirdo for being a 23 year old who still likes Pokemon.

I had no idea actually. I hated the Ruby/Sapphire ones so much I quit watching (though I love the Sapphire game). I actually only knew that Ash lost to May because my friend told me, I quit watching pretty early in Advanced Battle. However, I love the new season! The first gym battle was awesome, although Vivillion beating fletchling the first round, and taking it down with solar beam in episode 6? Yeah right. Episode 6 was still great though.

Back