• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The anime than got you into anime

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
  • This is the most soul searching thread I've probably made... ever o.o
    No, not really. About the soul searching part... More like... Retrieval of memory?

HOKAY WELL I know for a few people me watched an anime before they even got INTO anime. But we're not talking about that, there's too many threads about that.

I HOWEVER am asking a completely different question. What was the anime that actually got you into watching anime? If it was your first anime you ever saw, great, but you have to have known what you were watching for it to count.

Mine was Inuyasha and/or Fruits Basket. I was in 6th grade, so I can't remember which one I saw first, I just know I was addicted to them both for a while. Then came FMA which continued my addiction, and thus an Otaku was born.

ℜªℳ

RAM Corporation |\/| ][ |\/|
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    well the first ever anime I've watched unaccounting the ones shown in America was Hungry Heart Wild Striker. The show is so inspiring. It is what got me into an anime fan. Not mush far from becoming an otaku.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • The first anime that got me into Anime was Fullmetal Alchemist. Since I finished it in November 2006, I've watched a lot of anime. =3 Before that, I used to watch Pokemon and Beyblade, but they did not open the gate to Anime for me.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Whoo, okay I feel a bit old now. The anime that got me into anime was Pokémon, Digimon and Dragonball Z. They all premiered around the same time here in Canada, I think, and I got hooked on all of them. I'd loved Sailor Moon prior, but I didn't realize that was a cartoon from another country. Pokémon and the like was something I knew came from other places. After those, I started loving the style and watching whatever else I could find from Japan.

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    I think it was Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children that got me into anime >.> Prior to that, I've watched Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Flame of Recca, Yu Yu Hakusho, Akazukin Cha Cha and a whole bunch of others, but I had absolutely no idea what an anime was then. All things animated that I watched then were simply called 'cartoons'.

And then, a year or so later after that, Devil Children showed here, followed by Dennou Boukenki Webdiver and I got hooked into anime. I started watching whatever else my television cable could offer. Which wasn't much, and it was in Japanese so I couldn't understand a thing, but it was still pretty entertaining.

Actually, now that I think about it, reading manga was what really got me into anime :x

Sajiri

Wandering Trainer
    Years
  • I used to watch things like DBZ and Beyblade when I was a kid, but I was never an anime fan back then. I watched animes like Inuyasha with my friends but I was still never really into it. Just watching it with them because they loved it so much so I thought I'd try and join in.

Fullmetal Alchemist, DNAngel and Azumanga Daioh were the ones that really got me into anime. I cant remember which one since I saw them all around the same time but I think it was Azumanga Daioh that did it

helix

tea-binger.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    Pokemon was my first anime ever (but that was a LONG time ago), but I think that the anime that really got me into anime was Fullmetal Alchemist, in which I learned that anime in general was quite a bit different from all being happy Pikachus and tossing Pokeballs about.

The Infinite Devil Machine

Obvious, with hindsight
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2020
    Dragonball Z. What a great gateway manga. Since then, I think my tastes have matured, but still, I love watching it for the sake of nostalgia.

Katsu Koneko

明日がある
    Years
  • @lonewolf - SLAYERS FTW!

The animes that really got me into anime was Fushigi Yuugi and Slayers. Mostly Slayers. It was all thanks to the International Channel (AZN) that is being cancelled in a few months..(RIP IChannel).

Slayers was just wow. xD I loved each episode and remembered that I used to watch the marathons late at night before parents yelled at me to go to sleep. It was also my first Japanese with English subtitles anime and it will always be special in my heart. One of my favorite fantasy series~ (OMG THERE'S GOING TO BE A NEW SERIES OF SLAYERS~ I CAN'T WAIT~)

Lina Inverse is my second favorite bishoujo right now~ X3 (First is Rika from Higurashi). Gotta love Gourry for his dimwitted demeanor.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • Lets see. Back when I was younger, I used to watch quite a bit of Detective Conan since I used to have cable. After moving to NZ, there was quite a limited selection of things to watch... so Pokemon & DBZ was the stuff back then.

I've only recently (mid-January) got back into anime again, after watching through the entire season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. That was really what prompted me to carry on and start watching anime again. I've seen... 4 different series since then now.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • Pokemon and Dragonball Z. Now I don't even watch anime. How sad. ;_;

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    The Digimon franchise was what first got me into anime. Cowboy Bebop, InuYasha, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, and Wolf's Rain got me back in after a long hiatus. The rest, as they say, is history.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • The Digimon franchise was what first got me into anime. Cowboy Bebop, InuYasha, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, and Wolf's Rain got me back in after a long hiatus. The rest, as they say, is history.

Inuyasha was my very first and most obsessed anime but to be honest, I always liked Pokemon and I still do. I just dont watch it after Orange Islands and yes, I still like the characters but I love mostly the pokemon. I am pretty much an animanga dork. I try to watch as much as I can but I dont think I've watched as much as other people.

InuYasha. I wasn't really aware of what anime was until I first saw InuYasha, even after watching Pokemon and DBZ for all that time. InuYasha was also the first series that got me interested in J-music.

Inuyasha has some of the best music. My favorite is My will~

Pokemon and Dragonball Z. Now I don't even watch anime. How sad. ;_;

I love it. It's like, my life. XD I never got into Dragonball Z I like the manga but I never read it. : <

Cardcaptor Sakura. At the age of nine and a half, I wanted my own Guardians and had my first crush on Syaoran Li. Good times.

That was my first manga. XD

See, I hadnt really been into pokemon much, even when I got here. I was more into Digimon and than it grew into I think, Inuyasha I'm not sure and from there it was just FMA, GS/SD, and so on. I think I pretty much followed what everyone else did and getting into whatever anime other people liked. Of course, anime wasnt what started my addiction. It was a manga book of Cardcaptor Sakura. At the time, I had no idea where it came from and even though it was odd with the right to left fashion, I grew addicted to it and sooner or later I went from that one manga book to discovering things like pokemon and digimon and so forth.

Last edited:

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Well Pokemon/DragonballZ were the first I saw, but never got me into it.
    I really have never really jumped into anime until now when I saw lucky star for the first time.
    So I really have yet to get into anime, but lucky star really is getting me interested and starting me into it.

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    The anime that got me into anime was Fruits Basket. I just saw this title somewhere and didn't know what it was about so I went to Youtube and saw it. It was amazing. 00

Back