• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Annoying HMs thread

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2013
    There are certain ones that just BUG me

it's like you use it once or twice in the game, but you'd have to have a Pokemon with you that knows it

Flash - used like twice in the entire game, get a flashlight retard!!!
    Cut - so useless... he can't fly over the bush or something? or I donno cut it with a knife?!

those would be the two that annoy me the most, what's yours ??

Kombat

Newbie Breeder
    Years
  • I disliked Flash as its so worthless its became a TM. Then Dive came and went. Now we have Rock Climb which will go soon. Laos wasnt Whirlpool a HM in GSC that you only used once to get to Lugia!?!

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Even though they are moves in the anime; HM's are mostly game specific. This means that this thread belongs in General Pokemon Gaming, not here.

Years
  • I hate Flash and Defog.

Cut and Rock Smash are ok if I have a Scizor...but he has better options.

Dive? naff. Although 2x damage from Surf doesn't really matter to anything that can use Dive.

Fly? naff. might as well make it 100% accuracy....

Whirlpool? Okish.....needed for Dragon's Den, not just Lugia guys! But overall annoying.

Waterfall? Nice move...but surely Surfers should be able to climb waterfalls anyway?

Personally, I reckon you should just unlock the ability after winning. Say....your pokemon grew a lot from the training in the gym, so now it's strong enough?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • The only really crappy ones are Flash/Defog, which aren't even needed in the overworld if you know what you're doing, and Cut/Rock Smash, which tend to be used less in the overworld as the game goes on.

Fly is a good attack for stallers, and holds it own quite well in power at base 95.
    Surf is a very reliable and decently powerful water attack.
    Strength is actually quite good as well. It has the same base power as Body Slam, just without the paralysis chance.
    Waterfall = physical surf
    Rock Climb = see strength

I've actually never found it necessary to use an HM slave beyond the first half of the game. :P

Jack Kentnon

Derp Trainer
    Years
  • I hate all of them. Except for Surf, and Strength. Here's why:

Fly is a two trun attack that can miss (but it's alot more convienient than walking everywhere), Flash was a useless accuracy reducing attack that had a chance to hit (but it 'lit up dark caves'), Rocksmash having a base power of 20 (but it removes rocks from your path), Whirlpool: fire spin but with water(but you sometimes used it to get rid of whirlpools), Dive: dig, but with water (Iwill admit, goinng underwater was a highpoint for me), Cut is inaccurate and weak(but you had to use it to get small trees out of your way), and finally De fog (you can use it to get rid of the fog...). Why? Why are they hard to get rid of? Why can't I just use items intead? Couldent there have been a better way to put obsticles in my way? Why De Fog, for the love of all that is good in this world, why Defog?

Rockclimb is okay though.

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    You know, I just think if they could make rock smash 40 base power, we might have something good for early game...
    and make flash actually hit them lol. hard to make them miss if you keep missing.
    the only water HM I use often is surf. it's flamethrower/thunderbolt/icebeam for water.

if they could make HMs worthwhile, we wouldn't need HM slaves...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • If Rock Climb and Strength were Rock type and/or Fighting type moves, I don't think I'd have that much of a problem with either of them. It's just with HMs on my main team, I feel like they're carrying a heavy weight on their shoulders, and I don't like that feeling. I don't feel as bad with Fly and Surf because they're the most useful HMs and they're decent attacks at that, but sometimes, I'd rather have my water Pokemon have a different STAB move than Surf or Waterfall. Every other HM can rot and burn. I hate them all, especially Defog. That was basically just inventing another annoying hazard so they could give us a super special awesome new HM. No thanks.

HugSomebody

Trust me!~
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    Awww man HM's bother me. Although they're necessary for game progression, they don't make sense to me. Why would I teach my Pokemon how to surf or how to fly? There isn't anything 'hidden' about that to me. xD

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2010
    I keep pokemon with fly and surf in my party like mostly everyone, because they're the most useful and actually quite powerful. In my current game I have Pinsir for strength/rock smash/cut, and Gyarados for waterfall/whirlpool, which for the most part aren't great in battle. Rock climb/flash/defog/whatever else can **** off, I just have some random pokemon in the box who can learn those. It's really annoying to have so many HMs in one game, 5 is enough.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • Mostly the ones that don't have any battle prowess.

Rock Smash; would actually be usful it it had more than 5% power. >.>"
    Flash; OH DEAR, YOU DROPPED MY ACCURACY! *kills*
    Whirlpool; I love the idea of it as an HM, but power is awful.

the only useful ones out of OverWorld is Fly and Surf.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I have Red and Yellow - don't mind Flash earlyish in the game, I use it with Minimize when I'm trying to catch Pokemon that are too strong for me. :p Then I can freeze them or put them to sleep without dying first.

Cut, me no likey. I give it to Farfetch'd and then never use Farfetch'd for anything else, because its trainer gave it a stupid name and I don't want it on my team. ><

Back