• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The BEST Part of Hacking (NOT THE SKILLS)

Do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I have other thoughts...

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    The best part of hacking is when you achieve something. Something that you haven't done yet before, or something you just figured out that worked. For example, take a look at the spoiler.

Spoiler:

But this guy said:

The best part of hacking is having fun. Wether you're scripting or mapping, if you don't have fun, it takes the life out of it.
    That's just my opinion though.

Then this guy appealed with:

The best part about hacking is realizing that you've made something whole, something new, something that's better than it was before. And, better yet, you've influenced other people, whether you like it or not. I never understood how widespread the hacks here actually become until recently.. let me tell you, plenty of people know about them. And it's your hack that they're playing, that they're enjoying.

You can look back on this in twenty years and wonder what the hell you were doing on a Pokemon forum for so long, but you'll never forget the work, the heart, that you put into your hack. You'll remember these days forever.

And then HackMew said:

I don't really agree. The best part of hacking is... hacking. That is, doing research and figuring stuff out: "How would I go fixing the roaming legendaries IVs glitch?"

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    No, for me the best part about hacking is figuring things out. Also if I fix a problem I have been having that makes my day.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I agree with both of you, working out how to change something or what something does and then testing it in game to see it's right feels great :)

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    As a mapper and a tile spriter/inserter, my favourite part of the job is when I'm spriting tile for a new tileset, or when I'm making the map.

Years
    I agree with the first three, (not so much Ray, simply because spriting can be tedious), but that leads onto my joy- when I see my own graphics in-game, sprites, tiles or otherwise. Seeing better graphics in your hack is nice, seeing your own graphics in your hack is even sweeter.
    And, though I've never known the feeling, I'd imagine finishing off a hack- completely- would feel pretty cool too.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    The best part of hacking is having fun. Wether you're scripting or mapping, if you don't have fun, it takes the life out of it.
    That's just my opinion though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2010
    I think the best is when you finish it, or when you figure out how to do something that you couldn't before.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
    Years
    It used to be writing an awesome script, but now I think that it's writing an ASM routine and getting it work, or editing one already there.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I agree with most of you, but achieving something is really the best part for me. I've rephrased the first post, btw.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    The best part about hacking is realizing that you've made something whole, something new, something that's better than it was before. And, better yet, you've influenced other people, whether you like it or not. I never understood how widespread the hacks here actually become until recently.. let me tell you, plenty of people know about them. And it's your hack that they're playing, that they're enjoying.

You can look back on this in twenty years and wonder what the hell you were doing on a Pokemon forum for so long, but you'll never forget the work, the heart, that you put into your hack. You'll remember these days forever.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024

In the old days, like around 2004 or something like that, I remember that ROM Hacking was all about HEX Editing. Every new discovery was praised, like how to change find a free offset via a HEX Editor. I liked those days. (I didn't joined around that time, but I know. I looked at the archive forum. (b'')b :D)

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    I don't really agree. The best part of hacking is... hacking. That is, doing research and figuring stuff out: "How would I go fixing the roaming legendaries IVs glitch?"

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024

I agree. (As I always do XD)

I've edited the first post with the most appealing reasons that people post in here, so that you can see it easier.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
    Sure, figuring out how things work is fun and all but until I actually change something, I don't really enjoy it. Locating a piece of code or some image can be frustrating and when I find it, I definitely feel good about myself but when I change it, that's when the real rush of euphoria hits me. So I'm going to have to side with the people who say that looking back on your finished project and realizing that you made it is the best part of hacking.

Ricochet Orange

The one who needed a new forum
    Years
    As a mapper and a tile spriter/inserter, my favourite part of the job is when I'm spriting tile for a new tileset, or when I'm making the map.
    This.

But I can't stand other things though. I have tried hacking/game creation, but the only thing I like is mapping.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    Sure, figuring out how things work is fun and all but until I actually change something, I don't really enjoy it. Locating a piece of code or some image can be frustrating and when I find it, I definitely feel good about myself but when I change it, that's when the real rush of euphoria hits me. So I'm going to have to side with the people who say that looking back on your finished project and realizing that you made it is the best part of hacking.

Research can indeed be frustrating, but there's no way round. After research (aka hacking) though, there's the editing phase: "Yay, it works!" I agree that the final result is probably what we're most proud of, but changing a "random" byte from 0x08 to 0x00 is worth nothing without a solid knowledge base behind it. On the other hand, research without editing is also a waste, because you're not putting into practice what you learned so far.

Hackers are like archaeologists: they need to investigate before they can dig into the hot stuff.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    The best part of hacking is putting my hack onto my AceKard and then playing it on my DS as if it was any GBA game :P.

Back