• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The best starter pokemon

What is the best starter pokemon ever?

• Venusaur

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Charizard

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Blastoise

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Meganium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Typhlosion

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Feraligatr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Blaziken

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    You forgot to include Pikachu, Eevee, Espeon and Umbreon because they were all starters of other games (Pikachu of Pokemon Yellow, Espeon and Umbreon on Colosseum, and Eevee on Pokemon XD).

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I say Charizard... ^^ I've always liked it, and does seem like its the strongest.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I'd have to say Venusaur or Swampert. I prefer tanking over sweeping and such, and that's exactly why I like those two. I also like the type combinations of Venusaur and Swampert not to mention I love Mirror Coat and Counter (I'm not into Cursing, as a Cursepert is actually rather easily defeated while it's still adding its stats.) and of course the oh so pwning Leech Seed + Sleep Powder combo :3

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
    It looks as though the people posting in this thread are referring to the games...so I'm going to move this to the General Games Discussion. I was a little iffy about this one, so sorry if someone thinks it really should be in PG~

*moves*

~Kelsey

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I'm partial to Blastoise for the simple reason that I've always liked its design and that it's gotten my rear out of trouble many times back in the good ol' RBY days. It's a shame there's not really too much to do with it in today's metagame other than Mirror Coating.

Swampert, meanwhile, is my second favorite for within-the-game reasons as well.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Definitely Swampert.

Charizard is 4x weak to Rock and 2x weak to Electric and Water and can only cover two of those weaknesses with Earthquake. Swampert is only 4x to Grass and covers that weakness with Ice Beam.

Charizard is 4x strong to Bug and Grass, 2x strong to Fighting, Fire, Steel, and immune to Ground. Swampert is 2x strong to Fire, Poison, Rock, Steel, and immune to Electric.

Charizard has STAB Fire and Flying moves. Swampert has STAB Water and Ground moves.

Charizard has higher base SAtk and Spd. Swampert has higher base HP, Atk, Def, SDef, and total stats.

Charizard can breed in the Monster and Dragon Egg groups. Swampert can breed in the Monster and Water 1 Egg groups.

Close in some areas, but not really in others.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    CaptainBrain said:
    Swampart is immune to electric, thus making him hard to take down.

Unless it's with a Grass-type move. =/

Though, yes, shane has covered that already. It's got decent defenses coupled with good HP anyway, so it may be able to take a hit of Grass.

Unless it happens to be unlucky at that moment while the move happens to be something along the lines of Solarbeam.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
    I'm quite annoyed that everyone (near where I live) always picks a Fire type starter(that includes FR/LG and R/S/E). I mean, sure they're cool, but everyone has to have a bit of variety in their Pokemon teams. A fire pokemon like Charizard would just steal the show.

And to back up this point, I voted for Swampert. Because it's different from a fire type, and it can beat a fire type.

Back