• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Debate The big "A" "K" handwriting debacle

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    zERMESs.png

DEBATE

After a heated debate that has ended many life-long friendships, this question must go public. How do you write your lowercase As and your lowercase Ks? Do you write any other letters in weird and wonderful ways that people have needlessly called you out for?

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I'm genuinely blocking, reporting and removing from the internet and life whoever puts that gross balloon thing on their Ks

Years
  • I used to write the lowercase a like the first one, from birth til sophomore year college. Then a switch suddenly flipped within me and I started naturally writing it the second way and have been ever since. It was quite the phenomenon. I still think about that a lot.

But for real though if you write your lowercase k's the second way you need help

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    First 'a' and first 'k'. Writes something akin to the second 'k' only when using cursive.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Do you write any other letters in weird and wonderful ways that people have needlessly called you out for?
    so you agree it was needless to attack my a's

Regarding your problematic k's though I will reiterate: inky u will not find solidarity on this here i have never seen an undercase k with a bubble in it outside of cursive

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • First a and first k. I have pretty terrible handwriting as is, and I'd rather not make it worse by doing the second option.

Years
  • writing the 2nd "a" out is unnatural to me. I do write k in both ways, though k with a loop is usually done when I want to write faster.

I've begun writing my capital Es starting out with a capital C, and then ending it with one line in the middle. This makes my Es look more like a Euro symbol with one line instead of two in the middle. It feels smoother and more natural to write Es this way than making 4 separate lines that I have to lift my pen or pencil off the paper for.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    First a and... I do the second k! I never realised how unpopular that was. It's how we were taught to write lowercase k in all those letter tracing exercises we did in primary school and I am honestly surprised it is written more like the first k (I clearly never paid much attention to the k on the keyboard).

I also write in print so I think I write even less of a socially acceptable round k. I'm sorry :D

Also editing this in since I saw the other part of the Q, I always get attacked for b, p, q and d in an exam because I write too fast and don't draw the sticks properly so it's almost impossible to read. I try to be actively more conscious of that now :P

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Honestly, I've only only ever met one person who bothers to write proper latin as instead of greek alphas (α). The special k, though, I've never seen in my life.

Just for the record

Ydj99ay.jpg

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I've never seen anyone write "k" like the second way. Only seen someone write "a" the second way once before, and she was one of my good friends in middle school. I write both the first way.

As for my own handwriting, I have a few random quirks like crossing my 7's and z's, but probably the weirdest one is that I dot my i's and j's with tiny circles, unless it's for important documents. I started doing it maybe 2 years ago and now it's become a habit. My sisters think it's stupid that I dot them with circles, but I don't care about their opinions.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    this will be an interesting thread :)

I usually write in cursive, meaning that there's no reason for me not to write the a the first way. As for the k though... I never write it the second way, like it's typical of cursive. And yes, sometimes I may end up with a "knot", but never in the place where it's shown in the picture. I've noticed that the way I write the "k" is like... I draw a tall line, go back up until half way, and then go down. Then come back for the other line that goes upwards to the right. In doing that I may create some loops and all in even more cursed places than in the drawing, yay :)

Something interesting that I've noticed is with the "s". I keep switching from your typical small s to something like...

at random during my writing and I still don't know what happens in my mind that makes it happen.

Oh, also my t is literally just a cross. Just like t.

Last edited:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I use cursive for practically everything nowadays, so my As look like the first one and my Ks look like the second one, with an extra balloon on the "trunk."

There was a long time in which I didn't use cursive though (and hoo boy do I regret it - reading anything pre-2020 makes me cringe more than usual), and my As still looked like the first one. The Ks were the first one, as well. It was an odd mixture.

Years
  • I use the first 'A' and first 'K'. The second K is objectively wrong as a printed letter and whoever uses it should feel bad, especially user Inky.

Back