• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Big (Unofficial) Favourite Generation Thread!

Which is your favourite Generartion?

• Generation 1 (Red, Blue and Yellow)

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Generation 2 (Gold, Silver and Crystal

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Generation 3 (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, LeafGreen and FireRed)

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Generation 4 (Diamond, Pearl and Platinum)

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
    ... Can I say second and fourth?

I didn't grow up with Kanto, so it isn't incredibly special to me and such.

But second gen was my first real Pokemon experience, and Crystal let me get Suicune, my second favorite legendary, and it was just made of win.

Third gen is just... eh. I dunno. I like it and all, but I would like a more active storyline and more trainers at the end (my Pokemon are severely underleveled right now...).

Gen four was when I really got back into Pokemon, and I just love the development in graphics (finally, when you face forward, it looks like you're standing instead of flat on your face!) and the storyline. I actually love many of the Sinnoh Pokemon, and not many disagree with me like many of the Hoenn ones do.

Yeah. Second and fourth for the win! x3

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I have to agree with Lanee. It was almost the exact same case with me, too. IMO, 4th is better at least, graphic/story-wise, but man, I spent over 200 hours on that Gold version and it rocked nearly every minute (except that underground warehouse thing with the switches.) It was also before they PC'ed everything. I mean, how the rival STOLE something from an actual character and TR was cutting off the slowpoke tails.
    also...
    Did anyone notice the Ragecandybar comment in Platinum?

Sidenote: then again, Battle Frontier on Emerald was utterly irreplaceble, don'tcha think?

Last edited:

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    Generation 2 is the best because the storyline is much more intriguing than the other generations, and Nintendo actually made it seem like they had fun making new Pokemon. Now it seems like they're repeating. (Ex: A dog Pokemon that looks strikingly similar to the last gen one.)

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
    I like Generation 4 the most for the boring reason that it's the only game I actually own myself. I've played the others, too, but not that much, so of course they can't compete. There are also some Gen 4 Pokémon I love way too much to pick any other Gen: Luxray, Roserade, Piplup family...

Also, I really like some of the features in the game, for example the usage of the touch screen and also the internet connection features. Trading Pokémon I don't like for Pokémon I do like online while my DS isn't even on? Heck yeah!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    At 2 there were a decent number, 2's designs are consistent with 1's. Into 3 and beyond it's just failing like a car battery on a cold morning.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2023
    gen 2. I had so much fun with the storyline and new pokemon in that. I was all ready to get pokemon sapphire, bought it with the money i'd saved up, and after a half an hour of playing, i turned off the game crying. THe storyline made me so sad, it just wasn't any fun, and the pokemon were beyond dissapointing. all it was were a bunch of little gimmiks and features you used maybe once the whole game. then i bought FRLG, which, in my opinion, wasn't as much fun as the original version. then i made the mistake of buying diamond. More horrible pokemon, more gimmiks and 'features', and another horrible storyline.

also, i like how the champion in gen 2 had a good part in the plot. and i like being able to go to both johto and kanto regions. whereas in the other ones, you can't go anywhere. and i like how it was obvious Nintendo actually cared about their devoted, loving fans. BUt that's all out the window now.

Damn nintendo.

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    Mines Generation 2 because thats when i started playing Pokemon. Good times, good times. :D

killin_kobra

Pokemon Ruler
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2009
    Generation 2- Because all the unique features. Altho I still hate da randoms calling you up, to say they almost caught a Pokemon!

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    Generation 2 is my favorite, by far.

It had a great storyline, awesome starters, a rival that actually acted like a rival (I'm looking at you, Gen 3 >:C ) the ability to go to Johto and Kanto, plus some really nifty new Pokemon, and an actual solution to the first generation's Psychic balance problem.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Generation 2, first one I played and the best <3

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2016
    Generation 2 because at first I saw them it interest me a lot new pokemons there, I don't know much about the second generation but I like it and it brings me back where I like pokemon so much

Cheshire

nite-owl loves to party
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2009
    Gen 2 is probably the best but, gen 1 & 3 are my favorite
    gen 4 is good but It couldnt really hold my attention like the other gens.

Lady Missie

Aspiring Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    Well my idea of which generation is best is spilt between the actual pokemon in the generation and game mechanics. If we go by just the pokemon then I'm going to have to go with Generation 1. Even when I pick pokemon I would have with me I'd prefer to have more pokemon from this generation. I like how they look.

If we go by just game mechanics then I have to go with Generation 2. This one started the time of day and week systems. I loved that idea and I wish they would create a remake of this series.

Years
    Ah...I could never vote against Red, Blue, and Yellow, so Generation 1. They started it all for me. As a kid, those games were my life. I just could never get into Gold and Silver as much. Also, it has all my favorite Pokemon.

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    Generation II. I loved the ability to go back to Kanto. It was also fun to see how places and people changed, like the new E4, the gym leader changes, and battling Red in Mt. Silver at the end. It was also the first time my sister and I got to play together, since we had a GBA and a GBC and a connector cable by then. I lost a bunch to my sister's Red Gyrados (since the only Pokemon I trained was my Typhlosion and it was level 100 and I loved it) until I discovered the TM for Thunder Punch. Then she wouldn't play with me anymore :<

I also loved the starter Pokemon... or at least Chikorita and Cyndaquil. The rival was the most interesting rival so far - I loved wondering when he would appear next~ It was also the first generation where I could say I was a girl :'D And it had that night/day thing... and the radio! That was fun. Oh, and getting those custom Pokeballs by handing in Apricots was somehow fun to me as well. And the other berries had such helpful names... it's much easier to remember that a PSNCUREBERRY cures poison than a Pecha berry.

Gavin<3

Years
    Ah. I get warm inside seeing so many choose Gen2 :3

It gets my vote too. It simply did so much to the Pokémon world, it added onto the Gen1 games so much that wasn't weird or plastic, but needed and plain awesome. Such as held items, berries of some kind, eggs and babies, plus the day/night system and weekday system... oh, it's simply still something that really makes pokemon Pokémon.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Well for me it was Hoenn but when Platinum released its an easy win for Sinnoh.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Gen 4.

I've said this time and time again, but I found Gen 2 to be a giant band-aid to Gen 1 more than anything else; much like an expansion, if you will. By itself, Gen 2 blows chunks; with the support of Gen 1 Pokemon and Kanto to explore, that's where the fanbase is justified in saying it's the best.

Gen 4 might have had uninspired Pokemon, but there wasn't the abundance of water. Plus, you can catch virtually anything there. Best plot also is a plus, because there wasn't any part of it that was overly tedious, with little rewards and more of a hike than an actual quest (Gens 2 and 3, looking at you here >______________>)

Gen 4's evolutions were also a very sexy band-aid to some of Gen 2's biggest flops (Aipom, Gligar and Sneasel, looking at you...without even thinking of anything else :P)

Gen 4 ftw. d(^.^d)

Back