• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Botnet

Black Bolt

Leader of Inhumans
Years
  • Recently i watched a show talking about the so called "botnet"
    I hear that it takes a super computer to have control of the internet (i think)

well its possible that the botnet could crash the internet and be THE END OF THE WORLD AHHHH!

heres how it works
    350px-Botnet.svg.png

1. A botnet operator sends out viruses or worms, infecting ordinary users' computers, whose payload is a malicious application—the bot.

2. The bot on the infected PC logs into a particular C&C server (often an IRC server, but, in some cases a web server).

3. A spammer purchases the services of the botnet from the operator.

4. The spammer provides the spam messages to the operator, who instructs the compromised machines via the IRC server, causing them to send out spam messages.

Botnet and other malaware users
    are what we call "crazy people"

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • If they told you that, they're misinformed idiots spreading FUD. There's no giant cabal with control over the entire internet. Botnets are just groups of computers infected by trojans and controlled by a few jerks with an agenda. And sometimes different botnet owners have conflicting agendas. It's just typical hacking stuff. They're not going to destroy the world or anything so silly.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Psh, remember Confiker? That was one of the worst botnets in many years, and unless I'm mistaken we haven't seen the end of the world.

Most botnets are run by idiots with too much free time on their hands, that's really what it boils down to.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • Botnets are mostly used for making money anyway. I highly doubt that they will be shutting down the internet anytime soon when they are too busy sending out spam.

Back