• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The "Bulbasaur" starter of DP, an Analysis

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2017
    Posted this on SPPF too, didnt get a response there yet due to the post mod system... so im posting it here now...

the main point of this thread is not just to find out which DP starter is the "Bulbasaur" starter (that means the one that will help you get started easily), but to analyze my theories in innovative fashion. now lets get started

Theoretically, the "best" starter pokemon has in all generations gotten you through the first few gyms easily, therefore i will rate the starters based on effectivness against the first four gym types, Rock, Grass, Fighting, and Water respectively. 4 points total, 1 point for an advantage, no points for a weakness, and half a point for a mirror match or a normal effect.

lets start with Turtwig, Ironically enough once i get the stats down, it will seem as if Turtwig (the Grass starter of DP) is the prime choice for beginners (as was Bulbasaur in 1st gen), coincidentally enough DP was released in the 10th anniversary year, coincidence? i think not....

Rock:Win +1
    Grass: Mirror +.5
    Fighting: Normal +.5
    Water: Win +1

Total: 3/4

Obviously, Turtwig is the top choice so far, lets look at bulbasaur and compare

Rock: Win +1
    Water: Win+1
    Electric:Resistant +1
    Grass/Psychic: Depends on what you choose first, Celadon/Grass is a MM so +.5, Saffron/Psychic is technichally a 0 due to bulbasaurs poison type.... either way, either 3.0 or 3.5, still a high schore.

Now lets take a look at runner up Piplup

Rock:Win +1
    Grass: Weak 0
    Fighting: Normal +.5 (although
    Water: MM +.5

total: 2.0/4

not too bad, at least compared to

Chimchar:

Rock:Lose 0
    Grass: Win +1
    Fighting: Normal +.5
    Water: Lose 0

total: 1.5/4

obviously the toughest starter to use.... but here are some more DP/RBGY connections

1. The tier levels of the starters are EXACTLY the same.

RBGY:

1. Grass
    2. Water
    3. Fire

DP:

1. Grass
    2. Water
    3. Fire

2. Both of the grass starters get nerfed at gym 7

RBGY

7. Fire-disadvantage

DP:

7. Ice=weak, moreso if turtwig has evolved all the way to Torterra....

3.ironically enough both grass starters are effective against the following 8th gym...

RBGY:

8. Ground: Advantage

DP:

8. Electric: Resistant

those are my thoughts.... yours?

Lil-Dill

I need to change that ^
    Years
    Wow seems good enough so that changes a whole lot in my mind about choosing Piplup. Instead Ill choose Turtwig:D.

erm... one question. U actually Typed all tht out?
    Man atleast I have a life... jks man.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Hm... Well the reason they make they types so different like that is the difficulty level.

For example, grass is going to be the best because its strong against almost all of the gyms. Then water, then fire. Its just like choosing a difficulty level.

Buy I chose Piplup. I would have gotten Chimchar, but let's face it. It isn't all that pretty.

But good job typing all of that! *throws Kudos bars at jonnyd*

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2017
    thanks ^_^ , glad someone actually replied for once unlike on SPPF XD.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2007
    If you're up for a little bit of XP grinding, the addition of fighting can help the fire starter in the first gym. I had my Piplup at 16 by the end of the first gym, and Chimchar only needs to be 14. Just something to throw in.

Guitarist Sean

Floe Island Charmander Breeder
    Years
    I still picked chimchar because I honestly have a fascination with monkeys. I pick guys because I like them, not because they're statistically better than others. I've never ever chosen one pokemon over another purely because it had better stats.

Lil-Dill

I need to change that ^
    Years
    Same here Guitarist Sean. But I regret breaking tht habbit now. Cause now Im choosing Turtwig over Piplup cause its stats r better.

RLan69

Pokemon Junkie Extraordinaire
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    Actually, Chimchar seems better suited to gyms later on in the game than Piplup does.

Rock: Piplup, Monferno, Turtwig
    Grass: Chimchar/Monferno, Piplup (risky, but it has Peck...)
    Fighting: All evenly matched
    Water: Turtwig/Grotle
    Ghost: All three evenly matched somewhat, Grotle somewhat bad against Drifblim and Gengar (due to their second types and resistance to Ground if you got Torterra at this point already)
    Steel: Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape FTW
    Ice: See Above
    Electric: Infernape for Ambipom, Torterra for the rest

It seems that Chimchar may be the second easiest, rather than the hardest. That may go to Piplup later on in the game. Chimchar also has an edge against a good amount of the Elite 4:
    Aaron (Bug): Infernape FTW (except maybe Drapion)
    Flint (Fire): Infernape for Steelix & Lopunny, Empoleon would be best here
    Cynthia (Champ): Infernape for Roserade & Lucario, prolly Spiritomb too

Back