• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The burden of interaction

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I love to have my character interact with other characters, but I also like my characters to do their own things at the beginning of my posts. Usually I'll make a post prior to the JP post with my character doing their own thing up until the post they meet the other character at the end of my post. Joint posts are handy, but I also think sometimes they can be a bit of a crutch for people. Though, the nice thing about JPing is that you and your partner don't have to be on at the same time, as long as you have an open form of communication I think that's all that's necessary.

I think post orders can kill a RP, because if one person takes to long and then someone else does too it just ruins the entire speed of the RP.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    Alot of people seem to be reminiscing about the 'good old' quick reply days, but as someone who's new to RP, I know nothing other than JPing. Despite the lack of speed, I prefer the intimacy ;) that comes with a pad. Of course it is so much better when you can both be on at the same time, and it sucks waiting long periods of time for the other person or even people to add, but the sense of satisfaction when you finish a JP is so great ( Another innuendo ;) ). Finishing a group JP that has 3+ people is an amazing achievement {XD}

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • I am not inclined to joint posts. I do not go seeking to create joint posts, but if someone wants to approach me and cooperate, that's fine. Issue is, you're all strangers to me, so I usually run through questioning to understand what one expected coming in before I start character interaction. I typically just require one thing before we start, whatever it may be, so that we're level on expectation, for the benefit of both of us going forward. If that one thing can't be agreed upon, it's a deal breaker. I would much rather go about continuing a post in the way I was independently then have an unproductive back and forth. Yes, I collaborate and encourage some critical thinking because I really enjoy the quality a joint post in patience can promise, but I don't compromise whether or not a situation would make sense, in the end, to the reader. I'll respectfully accept the disconnect and move on, as neither of us are obligated to make the offer to collaborate as anything bigger than what it is: an offer. To better posts, mate.

In truth, I would only prefer to make a joint post with one or two certain people on this particular forum because I know for certain we can rap ideas to each other and keep level. That said, I still don't seek to make jps with them. There are two other people on this forum who are not explicitly my friends that I admire and would enjoy writing a post with, but I am not currently in a role-play with either of them, and an opportune in-character situation would have to rise before I even think about it.

I guess that makes me pretty independent, then. I will engage other users post by post, the usual set up and then response kind of way. I think when it comes to role-play, the final product is more telling of someone than the process through which they go. No one is dealing with published, critically-acclaimed authors and their contemporaries here. I don't believe we are all so quirky, erratic, or inventive about how we go about the process of writing, really. The plot ideas that come about, though, may be interesting.

What I like to do in those role-plays is throw in something unexpected to have others react to. The surprise that is in waiting for their response is something I look forward to, although there are times that the people who are in the group or who have decided to react are underwhelming, to put it nicely. It's an invitation, though, for someone to be just as creative. I like when that person bites. I like it even better if it's crafty yet reasonable, all things considered. It can even encourage a trend for some break-out posts, or dare people to stray from typicality.

I will not join a role-play that does post order, though. I think it takes away the element of responding as events occur. It's restrictive in its effort to put a weight of responsibility on participants.

Back