• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The C-Gear

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • For those of you who don't know, the C-Gear was this game's "bottom screen" function.
    "While enabled, it maintains a list of players which are encountered using the DS's wireless capabilities, and various surveys can be conducted, which can lead to rewards at Castelia City's Passerby Analytics HQ." (from Bulbapedia)

Throughout the main storyline it's also used to call other characters such as Professor Juniper and your rivals. The C-Gear also warps players to the Entralink, the center of Unova, where Pokemon befriended in the Dream World can be obtained. In addition, the C-Gear can be customized using different skins that can be downloaded over Wifi or by entering passwords.

What do you think of the C-Gear? Did you ever turn it on? Did you think it was an effective use of the DS's bottom screen, and was a good alternative to other "bottom screen" options? (aka, compared to HGSS's bottom screen functions or DPPt's Poketch)

Years
  • I use the C-gear everyday for the dreamworld. Although I feel that the poketch would be a better function for the bottom screen. I wouldn't mind if C-gear was like the pokegear in GSC. Since we can register practically any menu, it wouldn't be hard to register the C-gear. Or it could be one of the poketch's apps.

Other than using the C-gear for dreamworld, it's practically useless to me because there is no one around me who plays pokemon on a ds, so there's no use for passerby analytics or friend checks and stuff.

Years
  • I like all of the CGear's functions, they're just not super practical for me however, since not a lot of people play pokemon with me. I never turn mine on though, but that's to conserve battery as well as the fact that my ds makes an annoying/painful low buzzing noise when it's on. :paranoid:

I do like the customization of the skins though!

Years
  • I've never really "explored" the C-Gear at all. I mean it looked kind of cool at the bottom of the screen, but I never really ventured to use any of its features. It all seemed sort of complicated actually. I prefer the simple Poketch with all the different apps and stuff, even if half of them were pretty stupid haha.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I've never really "explored" the C-Gear at all. I mean it looked kind of cool at the bottom of the screen, but I never really ventured to use any of its features. It all seemed sort of complicated actually. I prefer the simple Poketch with all the different apps and stuff, even if half of them were pretty stupid haha.

This is like me tbh. Nobody I know plays Pokemon and I don't really go anywhere so I never used the Pass By feature, and I never really used the Dream World feature, so I just left it off most of the time.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
  • I love the C-Gear. I mainly play Pokemon when my friends are around, as they do too, so we get to snoop on what everyone else is doing, make instant trades, quick battles, etc.

With a group of friends, it is far greater than the Poketch ever was. I never touched my Poketch in D/P/Pt except for the clock. I'd watch the Pokemon move around from time to time.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    When closed, it serves as a neat background. Otherwise, I live in the boonies; if someone ever gets in range of me when I'm playing, they're in the driveway.

I don't know what's in B2/W2 yet, but if it's the same thing, maybe it will be useful when I live in the city again and am out and about. Right now, it serves little function. To me, the Dream World is nothing but a dream. (Besides, my Pokémon are insomniacs.)

Cyclone

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Yeah, I guess it depends on whether you have someone to play with, like Haseyo, I'm alone so I mostly find it useless, but I'm sure it's a really powerful feature if you've got irl Pokemon friends.

(on a side note, I didnt know you could trade and do battles with the C-Gear, that's pretty cool!)

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    It's cool looking and everything, but since I don't have nearby players, I'd rather have the HGSS option, it's really annoying having to press X all the time, and then navigate to what you're going to use, instead of just using the stylus.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    It's cool looking and everything, but since I don't have nearby players, I'd rather have the HGSS option, it's really annoying having to press X all the time, and then navigate to what you're going to use, instead of just using the stylus.
    I'm going to have to start playing SS to see what you're talking about. With that noted, I prefer using the buttons directly, so pressing X isn't a big deal to me (in fact, I browse around using buttons too - except when item hunting through a list, then I'll tap the scroll bar; or using the Pokédex, then I'll use the "wheel spin" style and quickly scroll with a flick of the finger). It beats accidentally tapping the touchpad and activating something I didn't want, whereby pressing X brings up options, so you've confirmed you want the options.

Just as an FYI, you CAN use the stylus after pressing X.

Cyclone

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • This was the HGSS bottom screen, Cyclone.
    heartgold-interface.jpg

You could use the stylus to touch whatever option, including set Key items (2), infinite set dash without the need for holding B. You could also press X and navigate.

(ok ok anyway C-Gear)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Lapras; from my first look at that, it appears to be cluttered. You can't press a button and navigate with the directional pad, I take it? That makes for a bit of a difficulty for my style of going through things, and I'd wager complaints about the need to use only a stylus (or make fingersmudge marks on the screen) led to bringing back the X button. I like pushing the button and using either option to search my items or Pokémon; I only use the touch screen in battle while doing something else.

I think Platinum used the X button, right?

Cyclone

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • Lapras; from my first look at that, it appears to be cluttered. You can't press a button and navigate with the directional pad, I take it? That makes for a bit of a difficulty for my style of going through things, and I'd wager complaints about the need to use only a stylus (or make fingersmudge marks on the screen) led to bringing back the X button. I like pushing the button and using either option to search my items or Pokémon; I only use the touch screen in battle while doing something else.

Cyclone

You could use the Dpad in HGSS, but you first must hit the Y button. I very much missed this from HGSS. Just made so much sence, and I took it for granted back then

I really never used the Cgear, cause I got no one to use it with. I live in the country, and I'm the only one around who plays pokemon. I do like poking the little hexagons to make them change colour, making cool designs on it though lol.

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Lapras; from my first look at that, it appears to be cluttered. You can't press a button and navigate with the directional pad, I take it? That makes for a bit of a difficulty for my style of going through things, and I'd wager complaints about the need to use only a stylus (or make fingersmudge marks on the screen) led to bringing back the X button. I like pushing the button and using either option to search my items or Pokémon; I only use the touch screen in battle while doing something else.

Cyclone

Yes you can use buttons, but the difference is that the menu (pokemon, pokedex, etc) is already there... In the C Gear, you have to press X, then if you want to use buttons, there's a weird pause before you can actually select pokemon, pokedex, etc.
    What I meant back there, is that it's a bit annoying to switch between buttons and stylus in C Gear, because you *must* press X first, whenever you wanna check your 'mons.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
  • In Black 2 / White 2, you can set Pokemon to Select (like you could items) and instantly access your Pokemon. Even faster. Make it the first one if you have a list. Y then A. Faster than any stylus taping.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    In Black 2 / White 2, you can set Pokemon to Select (like you could items) and instantly access your Pokemon. Even faster. Make it the first one if you have a list. Y then A. Faster than any stylus taping.
    I do that with the Bicycle. I ought to remove Dowsing Machine from there when I'm not using it, but if it weren't for the Bike there, I might hop on registering the Pokémon window with the Y button.

Also, don't do Y then A. Do Y twice. It works.

Cyclone

NiGHtsBeta09

Rescuer/Explorer/Trainer
    Years
  • To be honest, I did prefer the Poketch to the C-Gear (seemed more useful for more purposes), but the C-Gear had its moment. When the Dream World's 24-hour time limit wasn't being screwy with me, it was fun using it. But outside that, it could have had a couple extra features.

Most of the time, I just kept it off or on so the bottom screen would look pretty! xD

Back