• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Case for a Colo/XD Continuation.

Is it possible we may get a Colo/XD game?

• YES! Absolutely!

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Maybe... hopefully.....

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Maybe... but they'd better not.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way! Orre is dead!

• Couldn't care less. Even if they do, I won't buy it.

• Total voters

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    The Case for a Colo/XD Continuation

There has been much speculation around the interwebs about the next Pokemon game to be released. Fake scans have been flying, 'inside' sources cited, but really we've got no information. This lack of information means we can try to think of all the possibilities without limiting ourselves.

One of the golden rules of Nintendo is remake, remake, remake. If a game is successful, expect to see another one like it down the road. In the Pokemon franchise this has been repeated over and over again. In this generation it's pretty safe to assume we'll get a R/S/E remake, a Mystery Dungeon remake, and of course a Black/White remake that fans are calling Gray/Crimson/Rainbow/whatever.

The problem lies on the Wii side. Battle Revolution was not that popular. The lack of a storyline made for a very lackluster game. Great graphics, not much else. So, they've basically got 2 options. Remake BR better, or go with something different. One of the possibilities is quite intriguing.... A Colosseum/XD remake or continuation.

There are some parallels between now and when Colo/XD were released.

1. Colosseum was released 1 year after Double Battles were introduced, and pretty much the entire game was double battles.

This game could be released about a year after TRIPLE/ROTATION battles were introduced, and could be mostly them. (Maybe we'd finally see the Fighting/Psychic/Dark starter trio?)

2. XD gave us many exclusive moves that we hadn't had before, some of which are STILL exclusive to there.

This one's a bit of a leap, but... instead of exclusive moves, what about... Abilities? The third Ability on Pokemon has IIRC never been officially referred to as "Dream World Ability." It's known as the "Hidden Ability", implying that the DW might not be the only place we get them. Now, right now Dream World has a few of the Abilities we were excited for (Vulpix/Poliwag in particular) but it is missing a HUGE chunk of them, most notably all of the Unova Pokemon. There haven't been many Pokemon added since the Sea area was discovered, and the new ones we've had have been events, male-only and unbreedable. It's not unreasonable to think that they saved all the Unova Pokemon (and a good number of others) except for Musharna and Darmanitan for a different game.

First off, this would give people HUGE incentive to buy the game. If they did something similar to what XD did with the Johto starters for the Unova ones, we could finally see those Contrary Serperiors that people have been talking about! If we got the Abilities AND exclusive moves, the Pokemon breeders out there would jump for joy. Depending on the moves, so might the competitive battlers!

Second off, it would give the Wii one last hurrah. With Project Cafe due out next year, interest in the Wii is still steadily declining, particularly in the game-making area. There are precious few good games left to be released for us to talk about. Honestly, Skyward Sword is the ONLY noteworthy Wii title I see in the future. Putting a (hopefully) popular game like this at the end of the Wii's life would give us all one last chance to really appreciate the Wii before moving on to Project Cafe. Isn't that really what they did with Black and White? Rather than be the opening line on the 3DS's history, they chose to be the final paragraph on the DS.

Also, there's room in the Colo/XD storyline for more, much more. Colosseum had no wild Pokemon. XD had a very few, only a couple of particular spots. What if Orre finally has widespread wild Pokemon now? What if they're actually going to set up a League? If they did, it'd certainly be an interesting time. Gym leaders trying to set themselves up might be weak to a well-timed evil team's scheme. :) Orre is also considered the most technologically advanced region (Before BW came out). Wouldn't it be nice for it to show it? Have entire cities set up like Realgam Tower?

Basically what this boils down to is guessing. There's no proof for or against, other than the fact that we know there will be another Wii title for Pokemon. Heck, they could remake Pokemon Puzzle League for all we know. But it sure is interesting to think... What do you think? Is it possible? Are there hidden clues somewhere that might point to this? Am I just insane for even thinking of it? Thoughts/Questions/Comments!

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
  • If the developers were somehow compelled to do a third game in this series, using the features you suggested above, my life would be complete.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    This made me smile, no joke. If this were to happen I would jump for joy squealing like a little boy. I grew up with Colo and to see a remake of it would be amazing. Even more so with Triple Battles, Rotation Battles and Dream World abilties.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Snagging Shadow Pokemon with your own custom character (my cute girl from PBR would look great taking down a crime syndicate)? A league in Orre? The return of the legendary Miror B.?

Sign me up! An Orre-based game like that would be EPIC!

Garringman

Erupting Nightmare
    Years
  • Oh yes, I would have to take breaks from this game from the shear amazingness of it before my mind was blown. They really need to do this I loved XD and to this day it's my favorite pokemon game a continuation of the Orre story would be a dream come true.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    I WOULD LOVE THIS SO MUCH I WOULD DIE!!!! Like, seriously, Orre was pure genius in both Colosseum and XD, so a remake with all these cool B/W features? Sign me up for a preorder as soon as it's available (if they do try this) :)!

Years
  • Why does it have to be Orre? Why not an original region? (With the added possibility of visiting Orre post-game, G/S/C style) Orre is tiny, and there's no way it could grow into a full-blown region in this time span.

Set it in a new, full-sized region (possibly nearby, for reasons of ^). Give it grassy patches and routes, but ditch the gym leader/Elite Four quest in favour of something unique. It could be stopping Cipher again, or something completely different. In the latter case, a Cipher/Team Snagem cameo would be neat.

If there are shadows, they should be a side-quest. You shouldn't have to build a team entirely from them.

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    Well, it doesn't have to be a new region. XD opened a lot of places you couldn't get to in Colo, so it's reasonable to assume they could do that again. They are good at machines and stuff in the Orre region, so it's definitely possible they could have 'tamed' more of the desert and/or found more oases to form towns around.

I agree that if they do decide to add in gyms more than Justy's 'pseudo-gym' then they shouldn't be the main focus. One of the nice things in Colo/XD was not always knowing when your next boss fight would be. For instance, if you're going through the hideout and you're getting to the end, you know there will be some sort of boss confrontation. But Miror B? You NEVER knew when you'd battle him unless you searched him out. It added unpredictability and fun. I just think it'd be cool to see a region as it was forming a league, instead of having a well-established, fully solid one like we've always had in the main series.

I don't mind the Shadows being the main quest. It's more original than (Squish gym 1, train, squish gym 2, train...) etc. I do agree that only having Shadows on your team is kind of limiting. But, if they increased the PokeSpots/made grassy patches you wouldn't HAVE to rely on Shadows.

Back