• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Chemistry of the Characters

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • I'm making this because we don't really have a thread to discuss it.

Considering Ash has gone through six different types of groups, which consist of: Ash, Brock and Misty, Ash Tracey and Misty, Ash May, Max and Brock, Ash Dawn and Brock, Ash Cilan and Iris and our current one, Ash, Clemont, Bonnie and Serena. All of them had a different chemistry with one another. The goal of this thread is to discuss the chemistries, and which group Ash traveled with you think had the best chemistry and why.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Hm, I'm going to and say its either Ash/Misty/Brock, or Ash/Brock/May/Max.

In the beginning with Ash, Misty and Brock, Ash was like a goofball who was still learning, kinda hotblooded about capturing and battling, with Misty and Brock by his side. Thing is, Misty was kinda there, kinda like 'that big sister' who points out Ash's flaws and sometimes pick fights with him, but all in all, those two were pretty close buds! Brock was kind of the mature person of the group, but still had his quirk with flirting with women with Misty keeping him in check. He still helps Ash grow and be knowledgeable about Pokemon. I guess it's kind of like a group who had these really big, dysfunctional quirks but it works because we don't get tired of it and we would always wanna see what they're up to next, y'know?

With Ash/Brock/May/Max, I believe Ash was kinda like a mentor of sorts to May and Max? Still, he was a goofball and May called him out on it sometimes, in fact, May and Ash had their fights every now and then, but they're good friends! Max at first was like that fanboy/brat to Ash who says things like, "you lost at the semi-finals!" which Ash and Max also... had their moments, but those were funny and enjoyable moments! Brock was the same as he always is except Max fits the 'Misty' roll in that regard, but it still worked, imo. Hm, honestly, my explanation is sloppy, but I still love that group dynamic and I think it worked well!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Definite on Ash/Misty/Brock.

The group was pretty close together, and they worked well with eachother, despite their arguments here and there. Despite how odd as a trio they were in the beginning, I can agree they all did keep eachother in check, in example, Misty pulling on Brock's ear when he was getting a little too carried away with his flirting. I'm still heartbroken that they all split up in the end to go their separate ways. Still missing Misty's presence in the series. That was so long ago, man I never got tired of that trio. They mixed so well together.

...However, Ash/Tracey/Misty wasn't all that great. I feel that replacing Brock wasn't any fun. The show didn't feel as much the same when Brock was replaced the first time around. Tracey was just... there, as the "Brock substitute." I felt he was never really suited for a Pokemon journey to start with. Perhaps that's why I felt their chemistry wasn't the same as the original group that somehow lasted all the way through to the very end of Johto.

Ash/May/Max/Brock? They were an alright group, in terms of chemistry. I never really liked Max being in the picture, since he was obnoxious to his sister, perhaps I'm just not a fan of that. I did like how Ash was a teacher/mentor to May of sorts, her being a new trainer and all, the entire group as a whole had its charm, but not in the same way as the first group, I feel as if the group didn't have as much charm as I had wanted them to. I suppose that's just me.

Ash/Dawn/Brock is where I feel the chemistry just started to fall apart for the anime as a whole. I never felt like this group clicked at all. Perhaps because all of them were just... too different for me to really feel anything for them, if I'm being brutally honest. I don't have much to say other than this because the group only had a little chemistry, maybe because I watched it from a dub perspective.

Ash/Cilan/Iris had no chemistry at all. The creators were trying to recreate the apparent atmosphere of Kanto by making Iris a supposed "Misty clone". Not to mention, Cilan and Iris never really achieved their goals The group never worked together as a whole. I feel the three of the would've been better off not travelling with one another, since this trio just... wasn't well written, I suppose.

I don't have a lot to say about X/Y, except that I like their chemistry. I don't have much else to say about it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    For me, the current group is best. Serena having one-sided crush on Ash, for which, she even followed him, was something unique to Pokémon anime. Clemont and Ash also works great with their friendship peppered with small rivalry. We didn't see that before. And Bonnie is great topping to the group, though i must say May and Max were little better siblings for me, with their lovely quarrels, but Bonnie and Clemont obviously love each other and it's just different kind of siblings. Which is actually good thing, as I am sure no one would've wanted to see May and Max rehash in Clemont and Bonnie.

As for the other groups, I must admit I never was fan of Brock, but all his replacements, with exception of Clemont, were actually worse, chemistry-wise. Ash, Misty and Brock worked OK in Kanto, but in Johto, they started to get old for me. Especially the over-annoying constant bickering between Ash and Misty over nothing. It seemed like old married couple, who has nothing to talk, so they fight constantly.
    AG was quite a refreshment for me, as that group worked much better for me. As I said, I especially liked May and Max relationship. And Ash being mentor for both May and Max, was also interesting change. And even Brock served as mentor to Max, from time to time.
    DP was the strangest group IMO. Writers obviously wanted two equal main characters, with equal screen time and character development, for which they also created quite a unique chemistry between Ash and Dawn, which worked quite well, but thanks to that, Brock started to quickly be fifth wheel. The only character he had chemistry with in DP was Croagunk, and that's actually quite sad.
    BW... well, I don't think there really is much to say. They just didn't work as a group. Period.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    For DP they should have axed Brock and had Barry be the male companion so he could have some chemistry with Dawn. The DP trio should have been Ash/Dawn/Barry and it would have had some great chemistry...instead the writers made the mistake of bringing Brock back and soured it all.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    There were many so far main group who gave company to Ash as they began to better understand themselves and work on creating meaningful friendships. And AG, DP, BW, XY cast all having their flaws, endearing traits and positive sides to it.

But original trio wins first place for me.
    Ash, Misty and Brock were group which started everything, introduced to us world of pokemon and to this day i can't but not to like their friendship and close bond they build around themselves. They had perfect level of understanding between themselves, lot of moral support and lot of flare, humor and dynamic interactions between themselves with no one feeling left out staying consistently fun for pretty much whole original series period.

Ash naivety and stubborn attitude not wanting to listen to his friends and do things on his own getting into clash., Misty flamboyant, sarcastic nature coming up with various jokes and taunts, while showing herself to be sensible pulling out from Ash his best through bickering, fierce rivalry and showing of they had between themselves packed with Brock who was absolutely hilarious and vibrant as character being supposedly most wise and intelligent group member while having himself issues to deal with finer things in life looking for consolidation among his friends when getting into trouble with girls etc. producing natural, unforced and enjoyable dynamic between characters.

They captured perfectly message of pokemon being about friends which are there for each other, help themselves to move forward or give backbone on which you can rely when feeling down joking with each other, having fun laughing, talking about their dreams and issues comforting themselves and giving motivation not to give up while arguing or being annoyed at each other flaws sometimes just like real friends would do.

I liked how their friendship was strengthened even more over time from Kanto end of Johto developing very strong bond between themselves, and giving out impression of companions which passed through many things knowing themselves for long time with interactions containing lot of comedy, sarcasm and emotion.

And their departure perfectly encompassed on that when Misty was about to break down in tears clearly growing to love Brock and especially Ash not wanting to leave, while Ash was completely heartbroken not being able to suppress bursting stream of emotions running on surface being appreciative and grateful for everything those two did for him. With this three coming long way building on incredibly close bond and care between themselves. More than any other group Ash traveled with did in my opinion.

For DP they should have axed Brock and had Barry be the male companion so he could have some chemistry with Dawn. The DP trio should have been Ash/Dawn/Barry and it would have had some great chemistry...instead the writers made the mistake of bringing Brock back and soured it all.

Because "problem was clearly in Brock presence", rather than writers themselves putting too much attention on Ash and Dawn promoting their friendship as 2 co stars who were followed through DP?While leaving not just Brock, but big chunk of rivals and recurring characters in dust.

Whoever was put in Brock place would be treated same unless whole repartition of focus and ideas writing staff followed when writing Sinnoh saga wouldn't be changed.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I must agree with DBZ fan that whoever would've joined Ash and Dawn, would've ended the same way as Brock. Which is why I think the best aproach for DP would be a group of just Ash and Dawn, without anyone else to acompany them. Why they did not chose that way, I don't really understand.

Years
  • I think XY has had the best group chemistry, not just Serena having the apparent crush on Ash but Clemont and Bonnie being a fun brother-sister duo as well. DP comes second, mainly because I loved how fun Ash and Dawn acted together on occasion.

Years
  • You can't beat the original Trio in my opinion, even though I wasn't really a fan of Misty (I found her really boring as a character). They definitely had the best synergy. After that, I would love to say Ash/Brock/May/Max but I just can't. I was really hoping that when they brought in this brand new trainer into the group that Ash would step up as a kind of mentor (he is an experienced trainer after all).

But no, because apparently it's against the law to give Ash or Pikachu any form of logical progression throughout the series. So instead of Ash doing the logical thing and being a mentor to Max and May, they bring in Brock to be the daddy for the group once again.

That really annoyed me, especially when Ash occasionally showed us he could be a mentor to May (like when she tried to catch her first pokemon) but these times were so few and far between, and completely over-shadowed by the numerous times Ash was called out on his failings by Max and May. Such a missed opportunity in my opinion, and the point where the series started going downhill.

Back