• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Chess Challenge!

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    I am big fan of Chess and I've been playing for a year and a half now, so I want to include Chess into my favorite game (Pokemon) and most importantly my favorite pass-time (challenges). Who knows, maybe I'll start an era of "other game" based challenges like a CoD challenge or a Yu-Gi-Oh challenge. I can talk about this all day, but I will be afraid that I will lose your attention, so let's get on with the show.

Pokemon Restrictions:

-You must have one Male Pokemon, it must evolve completely before the Elite Four, it is your King. You must capture this Pokemon before you battle the Cerulean/Goldenrod/Mauville/Hearthome/Castelia Gym leader. (Or Mirror B in Collo/XD.)

-You must have one Female Pokemon, it must evolve completely before the Elite Four, it must be the same egg group as the King, it is your Queen. It must be obtained AFTER you get your King, and you must get it before your next gym badge.

-You must have one Pokemon that must be it's 2nd Staged Form (Herdier, Servine, Kirlia) it is the only Pokemon that can learn TMs, it is the Bishop.

-You must have one Pokemon that has all Attacking Moves, it is your Knight.

-You must have one Defensive Pokemon (2 Defensive Moves at Minimum), if it is the same type as your king, it can evolve, it is your Rook.

-You must catch the first Pokemon you find in your challenge, it can only evolve if it solos a gym leader, it is your Pawn.

Game Restrictions / Benefits:

-You can trade over your Rook from another game if you have your King (Castling)

-By "trashing" a Tm you can switch your Pawn for the next Pokemon you catch. If your playing B/W you must trash a Elemental Gem, like Rock Gem for example. (En Passant)

-After a gym, your Pawn can take place of the Queen, Knight, Rook or Bishop.(Promotion/Underpromotion)

- If your King faints, you must select one Pokemon on your team to remove from your team instead (Check/Checkmate)

-You may only grind if you get a total wipeout (Stalemate)

Champions:

Spoiler:

The Challenge ends at the Elite Four, but feel free to do the aftergame if you you want.

Last edited:
    Years
    I will be doing this challenge. I think it might be Light Platnium version since it looks like a nice put together rom, if a hack isn't acceptable most likely Moemon Fire Red probably.

So no one else can use TM's except the bishop, and does the starter count as the first Pokemon you catch, or the very first thing you run into when you are able to get pokeballs

are you ever allowed to go buy a TM in a department store and then ditch it to keep rotating your pawn D:

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    1) Hacks are allowed

2) First thing you run into when you get Pokeballs

3) Clever idea, it's allowed.

I'll update later :V

Years
    I don't usually have large updates, but this time I'm going to make an exception because I've never done one of these with so many rules, and if I write down everything I do I'll pay attention and be careful when it comes letting my King or Queen faint and such, but since it involves a hack ROM that some people might not have played and length I will be using /Spoiler

Beginning of Laure's Adventure
    Summary: Started out with ChimChar, got HM01, Got Combee as a Pawn, challenged the gym leader, King fainted, so ditched Combee and got Spinark as new Pawn. Got first badge. Oh, and Laure isn't a fan of Light Platnium Version, I thought it was complete, but it still needs a lot of work obviously.

Spoiler:

Inhore City
    Player: Laure
    Badges: 1
    Pokedex: 4
    Playtime: 3:54

Current Team

The Chess Challenge!
    (King)
    MONFERNO
    Impish, Male Lv. 18
    Mach Punch
    Leer
    Ember
    Taunt

The Chess Challenge!
    (Pawn)
    Pawn / SPINARAK
    Lax, Female Lv. 15
    Poison Sting
    String Shot
    Scary Face
    Constrict

The Chess Challenge!
    (Bishop)
    Bishopetta / BUIZEL
    Impish, Female Lv. 10
    Sonic Boom
    Growl

Pebblycone

Little Monster ♥
    Years
    Very creative! I hope to do this challenge in the future.
    Unfortunately I have a couple more challenges I already promised myself to do :P

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    A quick update on Pokemon Black:

-Called myself Chaos
    -Chose Snivy (My King)
    -Beat Cheren and Bianca
    -Named my Snivy "Jalorda"
    -Caught my Pawn, Patrat (Pawnrat)

I might not update for a while, because it's exam week over here.

pokepokemo

The RPing Challenger!
    Years
    OK me gonna start the challenge

-Started the game
    -Got Bulbasaur and named it Venusruler,my King!
    -Caught Rattata the pawn
    -In Viridian Forest
    Oh,can I catch a first stage then evolve it for bishop?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2011
    Liked it, will do it
    Version White
    Post my progress later

Last edited:

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    You will not belive what happened, I was done playing for the day, proudly standing at the Cold Storage and I decide to save, after saving I close the emulator and leave the computer to go to sleep. I wake up to continue the challenge AND MY FILE WAS DELETED.

Not only my Pokemon Black save file was deleted, but every other DS game that I saved on, oh and the emulator isnt letting me save, just my luck.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2011
    Quick update on White

>Name Mike
    >King EMboar
    >BEat Cheren,Biana and N's butts ^^

Quick update on White

>Name Mike
    >King EMboar(Tepig)
    >BEat Cheren,Biana and N's butts ^^

Last edited:

pokepokemo

The RPing Challenger!
    Years
    Well,After that I went to the gym and kicked Brock with Venusruler.
    After that the cave,There I caught my Bishop Clefairy,Who evolved into Clefable at the same place.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2011
    Putting on hold cause I gradually drowned myself on challenges,:P soon will restart

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2011
    I'm going to do this one using Heartgold, so count me in.
    Are we allowed to use HM-slaves?

*The Beginning and Beyond*

Spoiler:

*The second badge*

Spoiler:

Current Team:

Spoiler:

I hope you like my way of writing.

Last edited:

Remnants

Bringer of Hope
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    I'd like to try this challenge. Just two questions first:

1. Can I hack in a pokemon at level 5 for my king? (it would be in its first stage)

2. Can I hack in pokemon that I can't catch in my game? (I would make them appear in the wild, same level as the pokemon found in that area)

TheSandMan

#1 Sandslash Fan
    Years
    Sign me up for this on Soul Silver, I'll get started as soon as I finish or in the middle of my dream theme challenge.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    This actually seems like a great challenge! :D It confused the hell out of me, but I'm gonna take a shot at it, sign me up for Leafgreen please! :3

marcc5m

what
    Years
    This sounds (or looks, rather) like a pretty cool challenge. I'm gonna enter with Platinum :)

EDIT:
    Spoiler:

Current Team:
    King/Piplup - Lv: 6
    Queen/Shinx - Lv: 4
    Pawn/Bidoof - Lv: 6

Last edited:
    Back