• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The concept of ghosts

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If you've seen the new Pokémon Origins anime special or played the Kanto or Sinnoh games, you know that the existence of ghosts is canon in the pokémon universe. At least in those incarnations of it.

But if there are real ghosts - lingering souls of departed people and pokémon - in the pokémon world, what are ghost pokémon? Some pokédex entries suggests that they are too souls of departed lives, while other entries rather says that they are gaseous (Gastly) or just plain shady (Sableye) creatures and therefore are referred to as ghosts.

What are Ghost type pokémon really? And for that matter, do you agree that "real" ghosts exist in the pokémon world?

Sirfetch’d

I don't know really, but this is something that I have thought of in the past. Some Ghost Pokemon I just feel are Ghost typed because they are a little eerie such as Banette, Gengar, and Sableye, while some do appear to be actual ghosts such as Yamask whose Pokedex entry states:

These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves. Each retains memories of its former life.

So I definitely think some are actual ghosts turned into Pokemon, but not all Ghost Pokemon are actual "ghosts" of former lives. That said, I don't know if other ghosts actually exist in the Pokemon world or if they are all classified as Pokemon.

Years
    Ghost type Pokemon I think just have the qualities that a "real-life" ghost possesses. Spooky, intangible, all that good stuff.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In my opinion, ghost-types are spirits of Pokémon that once lived. These spirits are quite powerful, and have the ability to take many different forms. Some take form of gases (Ghastly), some take form of shadows (Hunter and Gengar), and some take the form of human (Golurk). A few of these spirits are able to possess man-made objects as well, such as swords (Doublade), balloons (Drifloon), and dolls (Banette). Pokémon who are generally considered to be "monsters" rather than animals are categorized as ghost-types as well, such as Dusclops, Froslass, Mismagius, and Sableye. (:

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2017
    In my opinion, ghost-types are spirits of Pokémon that once lived. These spirits are quite powerful, and have the ability to take many different forms. Some take form of gases (Ghastly), some take form of shadows (Hunter and Gengar), and some take the form of human (Golurk). A few of these spirits are able to possess man-made objects as well, such as swords (Doublade), balloons (Drifloon), and dolls (Banette). Pokémon who are generally considered to be "monsters" rather than animals are categorized as ghost-types as well, such as Dusclops, Froslass, Mismagius, and Sableye. (:

there are spirits of humans too

The concept of ghosts

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2013
    I think in all cases they are simply.. ghosts. Spirits of humans, pokemon, and even objects (Shintoism) that are not content to stay at rest and are enjoy a new "life" style as a ghost.

Now about breeding ghosts? Well... I'll have to tell you when you're older.

Back