• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Copenhagen 2009 (Climate Change) Summit thread

Should we promote renewable energy sources and cut our Carbon emissions?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Maybe so?

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Years

• The Copenhagen 2009 (Climate Change) Summit thread

Copenhagen could be a turning point in climate change, negotiators say​

At the deal's heart must be a settlement between the rich world and the developing world

Jointly written editorial in 56 newspapers in 45 countries​

The main areas for discussion include:

• Targets to curb greenhouse gas emissions, in particular by developed countries
    • Financial support for mitigation of and adaptation to climate change by developing countries
    • A carbon trading scheme aimed at ending the destruction of the world's forests by 2030

Delegates from 192 countries are gathering in the Danish capital Copenhagen for the opening of the long-awaited UN summit on climate change.

The conference has been described by some scientists as the most important the world has ever seen.​

Security is tight as organisers expect 15,000 delegates and 100 world leaders to attend over the next two weeks.​

On the eve of the summit, the UN's chief climate negotiator Yvo de Boer said the talks were in excellent shape.​

He told the BBC that many countries were now making pledges over curbing greenhouse gas emissions.

"Never in 17 years of climate negotiations have so many different countries made so many pledges. It's unprecedented," he said.
    Mr de Boer said offers of finance for clean technology for poor countries were also coming through and talks were progressing on a long-term vision of massive carbon cuts by 2050.
    South Africa became the latest country to make an offer on cutting emissions - its first quantifiable target.
    On the eve of the summit it offered to cut by one-third the growth of its carbon emissions over the next decade - subject to getting more funding and technological help from wealthier countries.
    Meanwhile, a new poll commissioned by the BBC suggests that public concern over climate change is growing across the world.
    In the survey, by Globescan, 64% of people questioned said that they considered global warming a very serious problem - up 20% from a 1989 poll.
    To stress the importance of the summit, 56 newspapers in 45 countries will publish the same editorial on Monday, warning that climate change will "ravage our planet" unless action is agreed, the London-based Guardian reported.
    The editorial - to be published in 20 languages - has been thrashed out by editors ahead of the Copenhagen talks, the newspaper said.
    "At the deal's heart must be a settlement between the rich world and the developing world," the editorial says.
    Environmental activists plan protests in Copenhagen and around the world on 12 December to encourage delegates to reach the strongest possible deal.
    Tens of thousands marched in London and other UK and European cities on Saturday.​

Ok, we could have finished this debate in 1997 and the Healthcare debate in 1993. But as with students procrastinating on their Homework we wait until the last minute to do something. @3@
    Even if there is no legally binding treaty passed in Coppenhagen, the fact that many countries have made pledges and BOTH INDIA AND CHINA actually showed (whether it's lip service) support for this means that many accept the IPCC's verdict on climate change. And people might not realize this but China has invested a lot in green/renewable technologies for the past few years.

Sudan's Lumumba Di-Aping, a lead negotiator for the G77/China bloc at the talks, said: "A deal can be done; the science is clear, the economics are clear, the legal issues are clear.

"The question is that some leaders believe their narrow national economic interests take primacy over the existence and well-being of the entire world."

Last edited:

Sarah Paliner

:: Zetsubou no Carnival ::
    Years
  • I'm not sure how much significance these "symbolic" meetings have on actually making change. No legally binding treaty = No real progress in my opinion. If all they required was a "hands-up if you support alternative energy," I don't quite see why any nation wouldn't pledge to make themselves look good. In any case, I'm looking forward to future developments on cutting down cutting down forests.

Years
  • At least it's getting media attention. I saw a poll (I think it was on the BBC news site, but I can't remember) that showed percentages of the population of different countries (China, India, US, EU countries, and I think Kenya) that were concerned about climate change and I was surprised to see that most were about 50% and many much higher. Only China less - around 30%, I think - which is a shame, but I was still impressed by the numbers.

I really wish developed countries would do more. Everyone is saying "We'll commit to such and such a level... if everyone else does." and no one is really stepping up. It's not unreasonable for a poorer country to want a richer country's help because even though the problem is local (older, dirtier technology, etc.) the damage is global.

I think even though people believe it's a huge problem they haven't quite grasped the scale and don't see that 1% of their GDP is a small price to pay.

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years
  • No we shouldn't limit carbon emissions. This is the first time in history that people have accepted that carbon dioxide is a pollutant. Unbelievable. It's a basic, necessary component of life. No CO2, no life. Are they going to cap how much we can breathe? Ugh. This Copenhagen summit is nothing more than a summit for hypocrites, liars, and fear-mongers. I'll take these people seriously when they stop cooking the books and hiding data, stop polluting more in one day with their private jets than everyone else in a year, and stop making films about children dying in an environmental apocalypse. Seriously. I'm all for solar farms, but for practical reasons, not because I think humans can cause the world to end.

Nincada

Please be kind.
    Years
  • Science supports the fact that human impact is going to cause the world to change for the worse in as soon as a couple generations.

They're not going to take away your breathing rights or any tabloid crap, we just realize that emissions are at an all time high and now is not the time for that to be going on.

Ignorance is bliss, but is also the main reason this is an issue.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • @Cobalt: Is it the word 'pollutant' you disagree with? Maybe calling CO2 a pollutant is a little misleading. How about 'greenhouse gas'? Would that suit you better? Surely you aren't going to argue that CO2 does not trap solar energy and is not contributing to the overall warming of the planet?

On the eve of the summit [South Africa] offered to cut by one-third the growth of its carbon emissions over the next decade - subject to getting more funding and technological help from wealthier countries.

If I'm reading that right, South Africa is offering to cut the growth of its carbon emissions, not the carbon emissions themselves. So I guess they're taking the instantaneous growth of their carbon emissions (whatever that may be - 20% annually? 10%? Who knows?) and promising that, some time in the future, their carbon emissions won't be growing by quite so much. That doesn't sound like a very serious pledge to me. It's like easing off the gas pedal when you're about to drive off a cliff, instead of pressing the brakes.

Years
  • If I'm reading that right, South Africa is offering to cut the growth of its carbon emissions, not the carbon emissions themselves. So I guess they're taking the instantaneous growth of their carbon emissions (whatever that may be - 20% annually? 10%? Who knows?) and promising that, some time in the future, their carbon emissions won't be growing by quite so much. That doesn't sound like a very serious pledge to me. It's like easing off the gas pedal when you're about to drive off a cliff, instead of pressing the brakes.

Meh, as I said in some other place with a vast array of skeptics and special interests arrayed against this any token pledge is still something to be happy with...and that's South Africa no?

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years
  • Science supports the fact that human impact is going to cause the world to change for the worse in as soon as a couple generations.
    No it doesn't. Science, if anyone's been paying attention the past few weeks, has been used to manipulate data to influence public opinion and push policy. The real science has shown just opposite, that human activities are insignificant with regards to warming and that temperatures are dropping instead of rising. CO2 is an extremely minor part of the atmosphere, it's less than a fraction of 1% of the atmosphere, and an unnoticeable fraction of that fraction is from mankind. And it never stays there; plants will always take at least half of what we put out. This is nothing but a fear-mongering crusade to impose laws and taxes on people and undermine sovereignty.
    They're not going to take away your breathing rights or any tabloid crap, we just realize that emissions are at an all time high and now is not the time for that to be going on.
    I wasn't actually suggesting... ugh...

Now is not the time for that to be going on? What does that even mean? If it's such a bad thing, then would there *ever* be a time for it?
    Ignorance is bliss, but is also the main reason this is an issue.
    This is what I talked about in another thread. Ignorant... Everyone and their mother uses that word to describe anything and everything they don't like or agree with. It's so annoying.
    At least it's getting media attention. I saw a poll (I think it was on the BBC news site, but I can't remember) that showed percentages of the population of different countries (China, India, US, EU countries, and I think Kenya) that were concerned about climate change and I was surprised to see that most were about 50% and many much higher. Only China less - around 30%, I think - which is a shame, but I was still impressed by the numbers.
    This? https://www.gallup.com/poll/124595/Top-Emitting-Countries-Differ-Climate-Change-Threat.aspx

@Cobalt: Is it the word 'pollutant' you disagree with? Maybe calling CO2 a pollutant is a little misleading. How about 'greenhouse gas'? Would that suit you better? Surely you aren't going to argue that CO2 does not trap solar energy and is not contributing to the overall warming of the planet?
    There's no doubt in my mind that the Earth warms. There's also no doubt in my mind that it cools too. There is doubt that it's caused by mankind rather than natural cycles. There is doubt that we have any important impact on 'climate change' and I'll surely doubt attempts to tax me and regulate my life even more for the purpose of propping up more government bureaucracy and fighting a War on Nutrients with no possible results.

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Global Warming is a buzzphrase and a sham. I'm all for cutting pollution, but please let's get our priorities straight. We should be addressing things like this, rather than freaking out over something which can only sketchily be described as a problem, and even less accredited to human actions.

Also, none of this means that I'm against development of alternative energy sources. In fact I'm all for it. Oil reserves are diminishing, and gas prices are rising: we will eventually be forced to use other forms of energy or face economic breakdown. My favorite up-and-coming technology is this.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Hm. I've heard this over the news, plus seen it in Yahoo. And they said this might be the last summit for global climate change. The only thing I'll say is that they'll get along with all the things they should be doing to prevent/slow down climate change. And because scientist and journalist say that this'll be the most important summit ever held, we should expect a very high chance of success.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    No it doesn't. Science, if anyone's been paying attention the past few weeks, has been used to manipulate data to influence public opinion and push policy. The real science has shown just opposite, that human activities are insignificant with regards to warming and that temperatures are dropping instead of rising. CO2 is an extremely minor part of the atmosphere, it's less than a fraction of 1% of the atmosphere, and an unnoticeable fraction of that fraction is from mankind.
    The real 'science' got debunked. Any climatologist will tell you that global warming is real. It isn't just CO2.
    Global Warming is a buzzphrase and a sham. I'm all for cutting pollution, but please let's get our priorities straight. We should be addressing things like this, rather than freaking out over something which can only sketchily be described as a problem, and even less accredited to human actions.

I like how both of you use arguments debunked too many times to count. If you want evidence, just google NOAA or read any NASA reports about this and you'll find plenty.
    Oh, and Cobalt, that was quote mined. I do like how they only show that part without any other part of the message. Maybe if you knew the real risks, you would actually care about it.

I'll even give you a running start, just to help you.
    https://www.nasa.gov/worldbook/global_warming_worldbook.html
    https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html#q1
    https://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/gw-real.html

Last edited:

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years

The real 'science' got debunked. Any climatologist will tell you that global warming is real. It isn't just CO2.
    No it hasn't. And "any" climatologist, protester, government official, bureaucrat, and magazine in 1975 would have told you that global cooling was real and that we were headed towards a new ice age.
    I like how both of you use arguments debunked too many times to count. If you want evidence, just google NOAA or read any NASA reports about this and you'll find plenty.
    Oh, and Cobalt, that was quote mined. I do like how they only show that part without any other part of the message.
    Oh please. The only quote slightly defensible was the one about using "tricks" to alter data, as it's referring to adjustments, and even that only showed the ability of these scientists to make up temperatures by trying to fill in the blanks with different possible sources of historical temperatures, such as switching back and forth from real recorded temperatures to tree rings and back.
    Maybe if you knew the real risks, you would actually care about it.
    Oh get real. There are no threats to the world from me driving a muscle car. Your guilt-ridden post is lacking for two reasons- reality and hypocrisy.

First of all, in reality, humans are only responsible for 6 billion tons of CO2 in the atmosphere. I say only because there's 186 billion tons overall. That means that of the CO2 produced and put in the atmosphere, mankind is responsible for 0.03%. What of the remaining 180 billion tons of CO2 not caused by man? Well half of that is from biologic activity in the oceans. Another half is from volcanic activity and plant decay. And somewhere in there of course is all the animal flatulence; all those cow farts and belches in fact release more CO2 than every SUV.

It's also interesting to note that no, the CO2 isn't staying in the atmosphere. CO2 goes right back where it came from, the land and sea. Half of what mankind produces automatically is recycled anyway by plant life, regardless of how much we put out. So if we put out twice as much CO2, plants will just take in twice as much. CO2 also returns to the oceans and gets recycled; the ocean is the destination of most CO2.

So let's get real here, CO2 makes up less than 4/100ths of 1% of the atmosphere. If mankind is only responsible for 0.03% of the 368 parts per million/186 billion tons of CO2 which itself is less than 4/100ths of 1% of the atmosphere, what do we have? I'll be generous here, round up, and say it's exactly 4/100's of 1% (4/100 of 1% = 0.0004%). So we're responsible for 0.03% of 0.0004%. That's 1.2 × 10(-7). That's 0.0000012%. Good luck saving the world from ManBearPig, because telling me what kind of light bulbs I can keep in my house isn't going to stop the natural course of the weather.

And second, the hypocrisy. Don't try to make me look like I'm either ignorant or not sensitive to this so-called threat when its biggest supporters show their lack of commitment by going to this summit in gas-guzzling and polluting limousines and private jets and wasting more fuel and making more pollution in one day than I'll make in a year. It's also telling that these celebrities and politicians live in huge mansions that use more power and resources than anyone else without regard to the situation they claim to care about. Do as I say, not as I do. It's one thing if you believe the junk science, it's another if you disparage those that debate it all while living contrary to what you preach. Al Gore and his crusaders against nutrients needed for our survival are hypocrites and should live more modestly before demanding action from governments and private citizens. I'll take
    global cooling global warming *climate change* with a grain of salt when the alarmists, guilt mongers, and fear mongers lead by example and give up their private jets, mansions, and limos.
    OOPS!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8eSPmAu3Jo

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    No it hasn't. And "any" climatologist, protester, government official, bureaucrat, and magazine in 1975 would have told you that global cooling was real and that we were headed towards a new ice age.

All because of that liar George Will? Here is what the Science magazine article really said.

"One approach to forecasting the natural long-term climate trend is to estimate the time constants of response necessary to explain the observed phase relationships between orbital variation and climatic change, and then to use those time constants in the exponential-response model. When such a model is applied to Vernekar's (39) astronomical projections, the results indicate that the long-term trend over the next 20,000 years is towards extensive Northern Hemisphere glaciation and cooler climate (80)."

20,000 years. He conveniently left that part out, and all of the other new media just regurgitated it.

Oh please. The only quote slightly defensible was the one about using "tricks" to alter data, as it's referring to adjustments, and even that only showed the ability of these scientists to make up temperatures by trying to fill in the blanks with different possible sources of historical temperatures, such as switching back and forth from real recorded temperatures to tree rings and back.
    Maybe if you really want to know, you should research yourself. The science works, and anyone who gets even an elementary knowledge of dendrochronology will know that.

Oh get real. There are no threats to the world from me driving a muscle car. Your guilt-ridden post is lacking for two reasons- reality and hypocrisy.

First of all, in reality, humans are only responsible for 6 billion tons of CO2 in the atmosphere. I say only because there's 186 billion tons overall. That means that of the CO2 produced and put in the atmosphere, mankind is responsible for 0.03%. What of the remaining 180 billion tons of CO2 not caused by man? Well half of that is from biologic activity in the oceans. Another half is from volcanic activity and plant decay. And somewhere in there of course is all the animal flatulence; all those cow farts and belches in fact release more CO2 than every SUV.

It's also interesting to note that no, the CO2 isn't staying in the atmosphere. CO2 goes right back where it came from, the land and sea. Half of what mankind produces automatically is recycled anyway by plant life, regardless of how much we put out. So if we put out twice as much CO2, plants will just take in twice as much. CO2 also returns to the oceans and gets recycled; the ocean is the destination of most CO2.
    Yeah, but you see, when more carbon dioxide is coming in, and less carbon dioxide is coming out(since forests are being cut down for strip clubs and cafes), more carbon dioxide stays in the air since it doesn't go anywhere until it condenses and whatnot.

So let's get real here, CO2 makes up less than 4/100ths of 1% of the atmosphere. If mankind is only responsible for 0.03% of the 368 parts per million/186 billion tons of CO2 which itself is less than 4/100ths of 1% of the atmosphere, what do we have? I'll be generous here, round up, and say it's exactly 4/100's of 1% (4/100 of 1% = 0.0004%). So we're responsible for 0.03% of 0.0004%. That's 1.2 × 10(-7). That's 0.0000012%.. That's 0.0000012%. Good luck saving the world from ManBearPig, because telling me what kind of light bulbs I can keep in my house isn't going to stop the natural course of the weather.

Didn't I just say that carbon dioxide wasn't the only thing? You said it yourself when talking about cow farts. There is methane and water vapor, you know.

Also, what the hell are you talking about? I'd say that the U.S Geological survey disagrees with you and that humans release more than 130 times the amount of greenhouse gases that carbon dioxide emits, but apparently, all the scientists are in one big scheme to take more money out of the people. If you want to put absurd conspiracy theories on the board, lets just say that George Bush used ninjas to plant bombs in the Twin Towers and blamed it on the terrorists so he could invade Iraq.
    But if you do truly believe that the only true scientists are the ones who aren't buying into this 'scam', then I just don't don't know what to say. Science and reasoning don't even phase your conspiracy theory shield. We might as well say that anything in space fake, since NASA and observatories paid so much to check that out.

And second, the hypocrisy. Don't try to make me look like I'm either ignorant or not sensitive to this so-called threat when its biggest supporters show their lack of commitment by going to this summit in gas-guzzling and polluting limousines and private jets and wasting more fuel and making more pollution in one day than I'll make in a year. It's also telling that these celebrities and politicians live in huge mansions that use more power and resources than anyone else without regard to the situation they claim to care about. Do as I say, not as I do. It's one thing if you believe the junk science, it's another if you disparage those that debate it all while living contrary to what you preach. Al Gore and his crusaders against nutrients needed for our survival are hypocrites and should live more modestly before demanding action from governments and private citizens. I'll take
    global cooling global warming *climate change* with a grain of salt when the alarmists, guilt mongers, and fear mongers lead by example and give up their private jets, mansions, and limos.

What flawless reasoning. Just because someone doesn't go by what they preach doesn't mean it isn't true. This is more like an attempt at slander and libel rather than logical reasoning.

The most biased "news" group ever. Wow, all the scientific sites crumble to his conspiracy theories. Did you even read what was there and put down your conspiracy shield for one second to read it?
    You want to know dishonest? The big swindle used NASA graphs and it conveniently ended before the crap hit the fan. They also had to quote mine what Dr. Carl Wunsch said in order to support what they said.
    That is not being ignorant, that is outright lying.

Last edited:
    Years
  • This was the source I mentioned earlier, which goes nicely with that gallop poll since it was based on their data. It states that people who say they know something about climate change are, generally, concerned by it. It doesn't take into consideration people who said they didn't know anything about climate change. You can take that to mean that they are sheep and follow misinformation or that they are at least somewhat intelligent and learned. I know which view I hold.

Anyway, even if you believe some or all scientists/politicians/etc. are scheming to fool us: are you 100% certain they're wrong? A lot of the things that would reduce carbon emissions are good for other reasons like alternative and renewable energy sources to replace fossil fuels. What specific harm is there in playing it safe and is it worth the risk of being wrong?

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years

• All because of that liar George Will? Here is what the Science magazine article really said.

"One approach to forecasting the natural long-term climate trend is to estimate the time constants of response necessary to explain the observed phase relationships between orbital variation and climatic change, and then to use those time constants in the exponential-response model. When such a model is applied to Vernekar's (39) astronomical projections, the results indicate that the long-term trend over the next 20,000 years is towards extensive Northern Hemisphere glaciation and cooler climate (80)."

20,000 years. He conveniently left that part out, and all of the other new media just regurgitated it.
    I wasn't talking about the Science Magazine quote; that was in 1976. Global cooling was pushed since 1975. The government supported it in '75. In 1975, "THE WEATHER CONSPIRACY … coming of the New Ice Age" was pushed and published by eighteen authors. Newsweek and The New York Times, and I'm sure others, published and spread the idea. In fact, back as far as 1974 the National Science Board, scientists were promoting the cooling theory and were convinced a new ice age would happen within 20-30 years. There was a frenzy, and George Will didn't create this, nor did the Science Magazine edition of Dec. 10, 1976. However, while the Science Magazine article didn't promote coming global cooling, Science News did March 1, 1975. This isn't a myth. There were people protesting about it. There was a real belief that science proved there would be a new ice age or at least a huge drop in global temperatures.
    Maybe if you really want to know, you should research yourself. The science works, and anyone who gets even an elementary knowledge of dendrochronology will know that.
    That's an easy way of saying that you have nothing to say.
    Yeah, but you see, when more carbon dioxide is coming in, and less carbon dioxide is coming out(since forests are being cut down for strip clubs and cafes), more carbon dioxide stays in the air since it doesn't go anywhere until it condenses and whatnot.
    Not only does the cutting down of trees not affect the cycle, it's otherwise not relevant to anything other than ecosystem destruction. The vast majority of oxygen comes from sea algae and not trees. Regardless, trees are always being planted and replanted, and even without intervention nature itself grows trees on its own. And even still, land vegetation isn't limited to trees. The more CO2, the more countless other forms of vegetation are spread. So some insignificant trees are lost in Latin America, meanwhile trees are also being farmed and raised and bushes, flowers, vines, grasses, and the king of Oxygen (algae) are all going to continue growing in number. So no, it's not staying in the air. It's being recycled by land vegetation and the oceans.
    Didn't I just say that carbon dioxide wasn't the only thing? You said it yourself when talking about cow farts. There is methane and water vapor, you know.
    That's another thing. We've also decided to classify water vapor - that's water in gas form - as a greenhouse gas. Now even the most generous calculations not only show CO2 numbers insignificant, they show water vapor making up darn-near all of the greenhouse contribution. So now nutrients for life to exist, water and CO2, are bad and need to be fought. It's ludicrous, and unless we plan on wiping ourselves out, there's nothing to be done about it. Our impact is insignificant.

Also, what the hell are you talking about? I'd say that the U.S Geological survey disagrees with you and that humans release more than 130 times the amount of greenhouse gases that carbon dioxide emits
    It's basic math, and if that's too hard to understand, then maybe the skeptic isn't the uninformed one here. Also ...what? CO2 apparently is a greenhouse gas, so how is a greenhouse gas competing with humans in emitting greenhouse gases? I'll attempt to make some sense of that *thing* you posted. Humans produce greenhouse gases besides CO2 and that altogether exceeds the standalone CO2 emissions. Is that it? That's true, however even together all greenhouse gases from mankind are insignificant and couldn't even breach the 5% line.
    but apparently, all the scientists are in one big scheme to take more money out of the people.
    No, just some have intentionally mislead people by cooking the books and leaving out data, published findings for political reasons, and tried to cover their behinds, secure their jobs, and secure grants. But hey, tomato tomahto.
    f you want to put absurd conspiracy theories on the board, lets just say that George Bush used ninjas to plant bombs in the Twin Towers and blamed it on the terrorists so he could invade Iraq.
    Lol, conspiracy theories. Oh yeah, 9/11 Twoof FTW!!!111
    But if you do truly believe that the only true scientists are the ones who aren't buying into this 'scam', then I just don't don't know what to say. Science and reasoning don't even phase your conspiracy theory shield. We might as well say that anything in space fake, since NASA and observatories paid so much to check that out.
    No, I don't doubt that many scientists believe this. But then I don't doubt that they've believed countless other things over the years. It's just smashing to see you cling to scientific dogma.
    What flawless reasoning. Just because someone doesn't go by what they preach doesn't mean it isn't true.
    No, but it sure as heck makes me less likely to listen to them or what they have to say, or to take them seriously.
    This is more like an attempt at slander and libel rather than logical reasoning.
    ... How can something be both libel and slander? :cer_blankstare:
    The most biased "news" group ever. Wow, all the scientific sites crumble to his conspiracy theories.
    Uhuh, yeah yeah Faux News, Fakes News, blah blah Fox sucks. What exactly makes Fox, a station with every point of view from libertarians to socialists, more biased than MSNBC and CNN? Oh right, because they're not and that makes no sense, that's why. I still throw my support behind MSNBC, home of the Olberman, for most biased news group ever.
    Did you even read what was there and put down your conspiracy shield for one second to read it?
    Yes I did read them, and they said nothing. Here's a summary of what I read:
    link 1- Nasa (see: hoax)
    link 2- The UN and IPCC are authoritative. Greenhouse gasses are needed for life to exist. Buuuuttt... people gasses=bad. There is no debate on global warming even though there is. Different parts of the planet are warmers, and others are colder. The sun actually does affect the overall temperature.
    link 3- Global warming is real. Humans cause it. This is controversial. We need to do something. There are signs of warming. Some parts of the world are warmer, but some aren't. It's warmer. We can't prove temperatures from thousands of years ago. There are gaps we fill in with other things. Computers help scientists make models.

Funny you distrust a new story because it's on Fox which is super fake, but believe United Nations and intergovernmental bodies which are sooo unbiased and untrustworthy.
    You want to know dishonest? The big swindle used NASA graphs and it conveniently ended before the crap hit the fan. They also had to quote mine what Dr. Carl Wunsch said in order to support what they said.
    That is not being ignorant, that is outright lying.
    I'm not even a fan of The Great Global Warming Swindle, which was an out of left field reference to begin with, but there's no proof he was misrepresented or tricked or anything of the sort. There's no more proof he was wronged than that he wronged them. Get real with this quote mine stuff. And in the future please say distorted instead of quote mined. You're not a scientist, so using their jargon really doesn't fit; it's weird dude. Like, for realz.

Anyway, even if you believe some or all scientists/politicians/etc. are scheming to fool us: are you 100% certain they're wrong? A lot of the things that would reduce carbon emissions are good for other reasons like alternative and renewable energy sources to replace fossil fuels. What specific harm is there in playing it safe and is it worth the risk of being wrong?
    Those in support of the global warming stuff always use this point, but that's not the argument. It's a completely different point and argument.

It's like saying we need a series of horrible laws to limit dropout rates because they increase child molestation, and then after that being rebutted, saying it's still a good idea to pass those laws even though the child molestation connection doesn't exist just because we should still want to limit dropout rates anyway.

Alternative energy is a totally separate topic in view. No I don't want to Latin American and Arab dictators holding America's energy supply ransom like in the 70's. That doesn't mean I have to believe a bunch of apocalyptic trash and support massive government bureaucracy and regulation of the economy, business, commerce, transportation, and the individual.

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Can more people listen to intelligent posts like the one above me? =/

The Copenhagen summit is one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen in my life. Basically, let's get a bunch of countries together and talk about how evil CO2 and how we're going to make the world a better place by reducing our emissions. Oh, and while we're at it, let's develop a trading scheme based on faulty science that's going to ruin the world's economy! It'll be great!

Isn't it odd that the big wig global warming proponents like Al Gore stand to lose millions of dollars if the general public begins to doubt the man-made global warming theory? It's become an entire industry based on flat out lies. Gore and his posse are exploiting faulty science to brainwash the world into thinking that the world is in some sort of "crisis" and in the mean time, they can fill their pockets with cash! \o/

Oh well. At least it's nice to know that I have logic on my side.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • So some insignificant trees are lost in Latin America
    Just 699,746 km2 of rainforest just in the Amazonia in the last 38 years. Around the size of France. What an insignificant amount of trees.

It's basic math, and if that's too hard to understand, then maybe the skeptic isn't the uninformed one here. Also ...what? CO2 apparently is a greenhouse gas, so how is a greenhouse gas competing with humans in emitting greenhouse gases? I'll attempt to make some sense of that *thing* you posted. Humans produce greenhouse gases besides CO2 and that altogether exceeds the standalone CO2 emissions. Is that it? That's true, however even together all greenhouse gases from mankind are insignificant and couldn't even breach the 5% line.

There is a lil' problem. The US alone are emitting around 6 gigatons of Co2 (source: United States Environmental Agency). That's an insignificant amount, okay... but the problem is, the mankind is doing nothing to recycle it. "But there are loads of trees and algae!" Yeah, but they are busy recycling the CO2 the nature is producing. So that means that a big percentage of these 6 gigatons aren't being recycled. Every year. And 5 gigatons plus 5 plus 5 over the years... the nature can't catch up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carbon_History_and_Flux.png

Last edited:

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Aurafire, I can tell you have a very strong opinion on global warming, but it would be nice if youd pull out some 'facts' to support such phrases as "faulty science," "brainwash" and "man-made global warming theory" (unless you're saying that the theory was developed by humans, which is pretty obviously true).

Though Al Gore and others may stand to profit on this issue, others stand to lose billions - big industry, for instance. And why are we listening to Al Gore, anyway? He's not a climate scientist.

Cobalt, I'm interested in the graph you posted
    Spoiler:
    The secondary values, here shown in green, aren't done in the standard fashion - they look like they're there to make the bars look 3D, which is pretty strange. I can't find the original graph on the site, though, the search is broken. Can you send me to the page you found it on?

Also, though I hate to go back so many posts, I can't help but comment on this:

First of all, in reality, humans are only responsible for 6 billion tons of CO2 in the atmosphere. I say only because there's 186 billion tons overall. That means that of the CO2 produced and put in the atmosphere, mankind is responsible for 0.03%.

Let's assume I trust those numbers. 6/186 = 0.032258 = 3.2258%. So, 3%. Not 0.03%. Maybe you meant 6 million tons? But then the number should be 0.003%. Hm.

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Aurafire, I can tell you have a very strong opinion on global warming, but it would be nice if youd pull out some 'facts' to support such phrases as "faulty science," "brainwash" and "man-made global warming theory" (unless you're saying that the theory was developed by humans, which is pretty obviously true).

The facts I'm referencing have been well documented throughout this thread.

Though Al Gore and others may stand to profit on this issue, others stand to lose billions - big industry,for instance.
    Yeah but...what does that have to do with the argument at hand?

And why are we listening to Al Gore, anyway? He's not a climate scientist.
    Excellent question.

@ Went: Even if the world's plants cannot absorb all of the CO2 we emit, they are still absorbing a significant amount of it. And since we're already emitting such an insignificant amount, we're talking about many, many years of emission before we'd see any noticeable affect. Remember, CO2 is only a minor greenhouse gas. I have faith that we will have enough reliable forms of alternative energy before we ever get to that point. Fossil Fuels obviously aren't going to last forever, and I'm looking forward to the day where we don't have to use them anymore.

Back